The Corroboree
Smiling Cloud

Khat from cuttings

I've been making cuttings occaisonally for friends with about 90% success rate now. If you dig all the dirt away from the bottom of the mother plant a sucker with some roots can be carefully removed. It has to have SOME roots, even one, otherwise it doesn't work.

Trim the suckers leaves a bit and plant this in some soil with a humidity dome over it for 2 months and, hey presto, new plant.

The cuttings don't really need that much care, I set mine up at home before I go to uni, and check them whenever I get back in the hols. My little sister waters them for me but thats the ONLY attention they get.

cheers

SC

great,thanx 4 that,i notice nearly all my plants have suckered this winter/autumn.

t s t .

If you do'nt have any suckers avail try layering.

I've had some success with layering as follows:

Choose a healthy lower branch and sharply bend it till it partially breaks in two places about 5cm apart,so you have a 90deg bend down and a 180deg bend back up again and then tie it up. (The 180deg bend will be 5cm deep in the soil). Also remove leaves that will be below the ground. Then dip the 180deg bend and where leaves were removed in root hormone.

Use a separate pot for the cutting with loose well drained soil.When you can see the roots are big enough cut it off the parent plant.

i'd read that they should be pruned/trained from a young age, but how young?

there's a couple that've put out multiple shoots/branches from seedling stage