The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Osprey

Grafting with superglue

I read about it in Trout's book.

has anyone tried it successfuly?

I'm guessing you would put a ring around the perimeter of the scion,press down and hold for a minute.

seems like the scion and stock would need to be the same size for it to work because of moisture.

Sounds cool.

Maybe I will try it

.....and the weirdness follows.

A couple people I know use it to hold supersmall buttons etc, just hold in place and while excluding air apply a small bead at a couple of points where the stock n scion meet, give it a couple to cure off then gently let go. Seems to just get engulfed or flake off later on. I'd worry that the method you mention might end up with glue getting into the vascular ring areas when you pressed down (glue is designed to be very smooth flowing before it sets, to get into fine shapes in cracks etc) if you applied too much, and otherwise might just stop the bond forming between the stock n scion flesh? They'd at best scar up seperately I think, with just a join at the bundles which may be a bit rickety, but it would grow I guess.

Doesn't teos lil grafting book have something on glue? rings a bell.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

I've done superglue with only limited success. Typically I just stretch nylon pantyhose material over the grafts... it sticks like velcro to the spines of the stock, holding the scion firmly but gently. ;)

After trying a few of the usual things like rubber bands, hair ties, string, weights etc, I have settled into using post-op/dressing micropore tape...breathable, sticky, just enough stretch to hold tension when needed, can be easily torn into different lengths and thicknesses, and a lil bit stuck on in reverse makes a non adhesive section to avoid sticking to scion when removing, etc. Handy stuff! Also makes lovely grafting tape for other plants.

VM

I regrafted a Loph from Peres just over a week ago onto a Scop. Because of the limits of my Trich collection the stock was a little to small for the scion.

post-3173-1217814801_thumb.jpg

This resulted in the scion meeting within the stock ribs on one side and a small overhang on the other side. I was a little worried that the subsequent drying of the beveled scop and underneath of the Loph would result in the join pulling away around the overhang and result in a failed graft.

In an attempt to prevent this from happening I waited for the beveled edge and underneath of the Loph to dry then covered it in super glue to fasten the join and prevent moisture loss and shrinking.

I waited 8 days then place it in the shade house and its looking healthy but only time will tell if she will take.

Another couple of days until part sun then into a full sun position.

I have seen this method done on you tube. I dont like what is in superglue not good for the plant or for the person that may choose to consume it one day. Not recommended in my book. I have heard of people sniffing superglue but not eating it. I wonder if it effects the plants chemisty in any way?

I have seen this method done on you tube. I dont like what is in superglue not good for the plant or for the person that may choose to consume it one day. Not recommended in my book. I have heard of people sniffing superglue but not eating it. I wonder if it effects the plants chemisty in any way?

Cyanoacrylate is a tenacious adhesive, particularly when used to bond non-porous materials or those that contain minute traces of water. It is also very good at bonding body tissue, and while this can be a bothersome (or even dangerous) side effect during everyday use, it has been exploited for the benefit of suture-less surgery.

Link

I would think that because of the fact that super glue is sometimes used as an adhesive in surgery I doubt it would be very toxic.

The only negative effect I've noticed so far is drying and whitening of the stock around 2 cm down from where I covered the beveled edge.

I'll post a picture tomorrow got to run soon.

Yeah the guy from UrbanTribes posted a video of it on YouTube, check it out.

Ive used it with success.

In the past soldiers were issued with superglue in their med kits to be applied on wounds to join the skin back together when in the field.

I dont know what the ingredients were of this superglue so I cant say if it was the same.

Rahli, just a tip, when doing a graft like that your better off beveling the edge of the scion as well so that when it dries the edge of the skin doesnt drop and or curl pushing its self off the stock.

There is a glue used to kill rats and mouses. They touch this glue and then they can run way. Its similar to hair gel, but more sticky. In Spain, Its called "rat stop", the chemical composition is polibutene.

http://www.multimascota.com/spa/item/ART00961.html

Perhaps it may be a bit better like superglue. Its less toxic with any dehydrating effect, and take up a few days to evaporate completely.

i think the surgical superglue is a special type and brand that is more pure or something.

probably comes from the same vat but they charge triple for it.

Rahli, just a tip, when doing a graft like that your better off beveling the edge of the scion as well so that when it dries the edge of the skin doesnt drop and or curl pushing its self off the stock.

Thanks for the Tip Andy, I think I'll use the scion beveling techneque that you mentioned next time as the whitening around the top of the stock doesn't look to flash. The superglue did prevent any drying though so curling of the scion wasn't an issue. I've now got it back in full sun and its looking very healthy with the super glue peeling off nicely. I think new growth is just around the corner.

post-3173-1219800785_thumb.jpg

Edited by rahli

You should still bevel the stock otherwise the same thing will happen but from the bottom.

The flesh dehydrates but the skin stays in place, so as the scion drops down with the flesh the ridge of skin pushes it off.

If you want something more aesthetic you can reduce the amount you bevel off if you cut the top of the stock first, allow it to dry for a week or so, then bevel off the skin thats protruding up above grafting level.

Edited by AndyAmine.

If you want something more aesthetic you can reduce the amount you bevel off if you cut the top of the stock first, allow it to dry for a week or so, then bevel off the skin thats protruding up above grafting level.

Thanks for the advice.

I've started preparing my next graft stock in a similar fashion, by beveling first, allowing to dry and then cutting the grafting surface above the beveled edge after around a week.

I'm going to graft an Eileen pup (its growing to close to another pup) onto a Scop scion. I plan to use super glue again so I don't have to try and strap a spiny little Trich pup.

Should I bevel the little trich pup if its placed wholey with the circumference or will the trick pup skin join straight to the inside of the stock with the aid of a little glue?

Thanks in advance.

If no one has any advice on this type of grafting (Trich pup to Trich stock) I will just go ahead and glue it down unbeveled as I believe if I seal any freshly cut surfaces with super glue it will prevent drying and shriveling.

Worked last time with the Loph.

My only worry is that the Trich pup skin will not join properly to the stock but I guess the super glue will take care of that for a long enough time that it won't really matter.

I should have it done in a couple of weeks and I will post the results in this thread as I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Grafted the Eileen pup today. Hope it joins ok.

post-3173-1221316273_thumb.jpg