The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Silene capensis an MAOI?

This is admittedly a long shot but I thought it worth inquiring for any possible corroborating evidence. I was browsing around the net and came across one dude who hypothesizes that S. capensis may have caused hypertension in him, and that it may have been due to MAOI action. In one episode it was triggered by alleged interaction with over a liter of hacker coffee (not very convincing there :wink: ) but he claims pepperoni also caused hypertension while on S. capensis, thats why I bring it up. Hes 82 Kg.

This past week, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I took a 500mg Silene Capensis tea. (1.5g in total during the week)

During this week the dreams were vivid and sparkling, as expected from my earlier experiences with it.

Then at the end of the week a problem arose: My blood pressure rose, I don't know how much exactly but I can definitely feel it in my head. It isn't giving me a headache (I seem to be invulnerable to that) but I can feel an unpleasant pressure on my eyes and when I take a bow, the pressure in my head is building up immensely.

I'm thinking towards the idea that Silene Capensis is a MAO Inhibitor.

This seems to be supported by the fact that the blood pressure was rising after eating pepperoni, a food source containing large amounts of tyramine and after drinking lots of coffee.

That Silene Capensis is a MAO inhibitor also explains it workings: DMT is released during dreaming, when there is a MAO inhibitor active, the DMT will not be broken down as fast as usual resulting in more vivid dreams.

Resume:

* Monday, April 7th: 500mg Silene Capensis Tea in the morning

* Wednesday, April 9th: 500mg Silene Capensis Tea in the morning

* Friday, April 11th: 500mg Silene Capensis Tea in the morning

* Saturday, April 12th: Blood pressure rising after eating pepperoni

* Sunday, April 13th: still feeling the heightened blood pressure

* Monday, April 14th: still feeling the heightened blood pressure after drinking coffee (took 5 cups of coffee, hey I'm a programmer you know Wink)

Preliminary conclusions:

* Silene Capensis is a MAOI!

* Compared to Syrian Rue its working much longer.

* If you stick to the MAOI-diet it’s not a problem to use Silene Capensis.

Sidenote:

* It's still working three days after the last tea, I'll keep you all informed about how long it will last in total.

Link

In my own experience it never caused perceivable hypertension but at times did seem to cause a very mild sedation but I was using 0.25 grams (I'm 54 Kg, 6' tall, caucasian, I like moonlit walks)

Thoughts?

Edited by Auxin

Well if MAO (And MAO-A at that) inhibition is occurring then (where legal of course) it's a relatively simple experiment to check it out. Whatever the approach, this needs to be tested without the coffee to even have a chance at drawing a valid conclusion.

It would be interesting if it turned out to be a less strong, but longer acting MAOI.

Very interesting...

(I'm 54 Kg, 6' tall, caucasian, I like moonlit walks)

Ooo... do you have a pic?

Bwahahahahaha! :lol:

I was just trying to give data useful in pharmacological comparisons, its quite standard :P

17.jpg

LOL. I pray to God that's not really you...

Sorry to be off topic, but that was too funny...

Think Silene has any potentail as an anti-deppressant or other medicine?

DMT is released during dreaming, when there is a MAO inhibitor active, the DMT will not be broken down as fast as usual resulting in more vivid dreams.

Bullshit... Not facts, only myths.

And why did he use such large doses? Its enough with 100-200mg/day.... I have used S. capensis several times (week long experiments) and the only side effects is the feeling of not having slept enough during the night. I wake up at the normal time but it feels like I want to sleep a few hours more.

But the dreams are worth it. Very vivid and totaly crazy :)

I don't think S. capensis is a MAOI

i posted some info re artemesia vulgaris ,mugwort, and maoi..........i suspect most dream herbs may be maoi......makes sense with the conjecture on the pineal/maoi/tryptamine hypothesis.....

t s t .