The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Genesis

Brown Rice flour

Hey swinger, just some info. I had a lot of trouble getting organic brown rice... Let alone brown rice flour. After a great while searching dusty Asian grocery stores and looking under my couch (Pointless this may sound but some amazing thing have been found there) I found a neat online store that ships flour right to your door.

BROWN RICE FLOUR - 700g

Ingredients: Certified Organic Stoneground Brown Rice.

$6.95

And they accept money orders! No credit card needed! Sadly no Direct Deposit either.

Hope I helped some one out, fuck knows I needed this a while ago.

Right... HERE

Enjoy,

Gen

Good info Genesis, I found some just in the health food aisle of Coles. I've also seen it in dedicated Health Food Stores also.

Ahh if only we could all be so lucky. I'm in the country, sort of spending a day tripping around Melbourne isn't an option for me. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for your flour?

Gen

I cant remember to be honest, small packet about 500g, made by a common health food label... brown and yellow packet. Probably similar price.

there's an organic grocery chain in brisbane called mrs flannery's where you can put however much you need in a bag. my brown paper bag was quite full and cost $14.

cheers Gen, just ordered some! :worship: ]

the only other aussie site i found that sold it had a minimum order of $50!!

edit: actually i tell a lie.. they also sell it here (not as cheap though) aussimushroomsupplies

...among other things of interest.

I can vouch for their efficiency & quality.

Edited by --{ MAYJA }--

If you own a coffee grinder simply grind your own from store bought brown rice.

Coffee grinders are cheap as chips, starting at around $15 for the type you find in the coffee isle in Coles. If you want to spend up to $50 you can get an amazing grinder that will last you years.

It has been suggested that freshly ground brown rice is superior, but if that's true I'm sure the difference is only minimal.

If you own a coffee grinder simply grind your own from store bought brown rice.

Coffee grinders are cheap as chips, starting at around $15 for the type you find in the coffee isle in Coles. If you want to spend up to $50 you can get an amazing grinder that will last you years.

It has been suggested that freshly ground brown rice is superior, but if that's true I'm sure the difference is only minimal.

Yer, organics are a problem for me. I think I said that already, I don't recall. ANYWAYS I have read numerous articles that stress that one only uses organic brown rice. I am to paranoid (Black Sabbath, WOOO!) that the rice will be filled with anti-fungus nasties.

Any one had bad experiences with non-organic rice?

Cheers again fellas,

Gen

the grinder is tedious, especially if you tried achieving flour-like consistency.

Depends how much you are using! Brown rice, in a coffee grinder, should only take about a couple of minutes to grind enough to make up a batch of jars...

Unless of course your doing a LOT of jars....

Grains and pressure cookers are the way forward then.

i had a different experience :)

just one batch, took a while (not that you'd complain hey) and i compromised on the consistency. maybe if you get the right consistency, you can use less, and save time.

So has any one had problems with using non-organic rice? Every one seems to think there are fungicides on every thing.

Gen

i always found that the slightly coarse texture of grinding whole brown rice was no problems when using a pressure cooker and hydrated correctly (i used a blender to do larger quantities, rather than a coffee/spice grinder...make sure the blender is glass or high-grade/strong plastic...some are plastic and won't like being smashed around with whole grains- will crack)

i also found no problem using brown rice flour or whole grain that wasn't certified as organic

Edited by coin

you get your brf yet gen?

i'm still waiting over a month later...

Yer man, got it. I ordered the day I posted this thread and I got it within mb 2 weeks. Took a little while for them to respond, then I fucked around with a mail order cheque thing. I was pretty happy with them. Sorry to hear its been a month, I would order from these guys again.

All I can suggest is some kind of fire bomb to their HQ. It may not help your order but it would send a message of sorts :P

Gen

I personally don't think you need worry about Organic flour. any thoughts?

although it wold be nice to have an all organic product. :)

I personally don't think you need worry about Organic flour. any thoughts?

although it wold be nice to have an all organic product. :)

Agreed... Brown rice, from Coles, ground to a flour is fine.

Yer man, got it. I ordered the day I posted this thread and I got it within mb 2 weeks. Took a little while for them to respond, then I fucked around with a mail order cheque thing. I was pretty happy with them. Sorry to hear its been a month, I would order from these guys again.

All I can suggest is some kind of fire bomb to their HQ. It may not help your order but it would send a message of sorts :P

Gen

Just got an email from them saying it was a mix-up with my address, and I should get it tomorrow.

So we can hold off on any terrorist activity.

For now.

So how'd you go? End up getting it alright?

Gen

So how'd you go? End up getting it alright?

Gen

Yeah all sweet, I got it today. B) I think the problem was more with the delivery company.

Thanks again dude, looks like a quality product. Now for some recipes!

inner city movers and shakers can get organic brown rice flour from the macro wholefoods shop on king street, newtown, up near the marlborough hotel - on the other side of the road. not cheap though its about eight $ a kilogram

Very nice, I think that is cheaper than the joint I mentioned. I will have a suss... I have some brown rice flour left over, I have moved to bulk substrate so is any one wants a few hundred grams let me know.

Gen

I will take it off ya hands if you dont want it thanks Gen!

I have some brown rice flour left over, I have moved to bulk substrate so is any one wants a few hundred grams let me know

Yup, me too.

Using cracked corn from now on, I got about 200gms of BRF that I won't be needing any more.

Happy to donate it to anyone of you lovely people.

Let me know if ya want it.

Thanks for the idea Genesis, share the love people. :wub: