The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

The case of the missing Loph...

I've been giving my cacti a little day-time sun over winter before I bring them in for the night to avoid frost...

Anyway, last night I get home to find four pots, sitting where I left them, but only three cacti... :o

My mature Loph was gone, taproot and all, yanked from the soil. The others remained untouched.

There was no evidence anywhere of it in our small backyard.

I first thought thieves, but then why leave the other cacti? Why remove it from the pot? And they weren't visible, our house is in a little suburb and the back fence separates us from a little lane that gets next to no foot traffic. The chances of a) someone peering through the <1cm gaps in our fence palings and seeing it and b ) that same someone knowing and coveting it seem extraordinary.

What about animals? Magpies, currawongs, Indian miners, cockatoos and galahs all abound and could all be candidates. But if you're a bird, why remove the whole thing from the soil and fly away with it? Why not peck at it in the pot? What's in it for a bird?

Shit. I'm stumped... Could be a possum I guess but I've never seen one in the area. I was home at 8pm too, and being nocturnal, that wouldn't give a possum much chance to get in there and nab it. And again, why remove it tap-root and all?

It's demoralising! You spend so long caring for these precious things and then wham! And the lack of closure! It's killing me. She could be sitting out there in the frigid, damp weather. Freezing, alone, dying, slowly turning to mush, a rare piece of Mexican exotica returning to the Earth in a foreign land.

Now I'm afraid to give sun to my last remaining beauties lest they meet the same demise.

Edited by MORG

I'm voting a nasty dirty theiving human! I don't think animals like mescaline trips...

Altho I've heard of some larve or something of that sort that only munchs of Peyote... and eating the worm makes you trip! But I kinda bet that's a load of shit...

That is very strange... I can't think of any good explanations. It sounds like the kind of thing my dogs would do... weird. Have you had a good look around in the light of day? Trails of dirt etc.

I'd say most probably a possum. They'll screw any other valuable plant in the most screwed up way, so why not a Loph?

My suggestion -blowdart!

Edited by Interdimensional monkeyman

*edit*- Your right... this doesn't have jackshit to do with his stolen cactus, my bad.

My advice- Get a pellet gun, and bait the bastard!

Edited by Teotz'

Possum for sure. I know that I have to keep anything that isn't heavily spined under protection. They have a taste in particular for M rich cacti and love a good nibble. I noticed that they will only usually take a few bites and leave it. Have had them eat all sorts, Brugs, Datura all manner of toxic plants without blinking. As to them carrying away a whole plants, well seems a little odd, but I once had a new packet of rollie tobacco carried off one night, found it in the garden all bitten later that day.

Was just thinking, you must have repotted recently as mine would be very hard to pull from the pots as they are very steady in their pots, wouldn't leave it to chance though. Have a look around for a trail of potting media, you may find some possum fur or other trashed plants.

Sorry to hear of your loss Morg. I know firsthand how it is to have nuisance possums hammering the collection. For some unknown reason they have a preference for the most favourite cacti or the most valuable :rolleyes:

...and if it was a person, they should be ashamed of themselves.

EDIT: WTF has that got to do with Morg's cactus Teotz? Jeez man, give it a rest already.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

LOL...

Funny you should say that... I've always consider making a "Brug-Dart"...

Basically coating a needle which can be shot from a blowgun in a brugmansia/datura alcohol extract.

Never built it... cause it's just too evil...

...but for a Lophophora-robbin'-Racoon?! I think NOT!

Use abrin from Abrus precatorius. Abrin can kill with a circulating amount of less than 3 μg.

Now thats evil :devil:

:o Damn MORG, thats a hell of a shame :( I doubt a person would have been the culprit - most average canberrans wouldnt know a loph from a tomato anyway... (hey, it's a small town and new genetics in the genepool dont come along all too often :P [jks])

I too think you'd be looking at a pesky marsupial... Were the other cacti sitting with it lophs too or spinier specimens? Probably went for a nibble on the loph and it might have been loose in the pot and easily pulled out. A little noise from a neighbour or something might have convinced the little bugger to take the haul and run out of sight. If it were a person you wouldnt have a half-empty pot sitting on your table, at least you wouldnt think so.

I am a little worried about moving over this side of town (definately heaps of possums here, I'll be adopting a couple that have chosen our new shed for a home). I think I'll have to regularly spray 'Poss-off' (or a similar repellant) around my cacti to avoid them being eaten by the wrong types of critters :wink: Might be something to look into if you plan on keeping your specimens outside during the day. Also, they are mostly nocurnal, but I think if a meal presents itself they'll make the effort.

Add a bite of blood n bone tou your Tricho pots, they love it and possums don't like it too much. Also urine deters them to some degree. I actually spray possums at night with my water sprayer when they hang around my cacti, they hate it, but still doesn't really stop them completely. Bastards!!

Due to having always been indoors for the last 2 years, the big one that got knocked off was a fair bit paler than the others, maybe making it a more attractive snack.

I'd only just repotted before winter set in, hence the ease of removal.

I'll leave some fruit out the back and see if I can't get a similar phenomenon to occur. Then I might have my answer.

I just find it so unlikely a person would have flogged it...

Do what we do here in America with Opossums...

Shoot 'em...

Cook 'em...

Eat 'em.

I seriously doubt a person took it... people don't really know... My cop friends think my Lophophora cacti are- "Pretty cool looking for a fuckin' plant".

I think peeing around your plants would DEF. help keep animals away... I know deer won't come in miles of that shit.

~Teotzlcoalt~

P.S.- It's always good to have a crazy southern 'round when there be 'em Opossums about!

Any interesting side note....

The "Opossums" in America...

...are not the same as "Possums" of Oz!

Hmm...

"Opossum" (U.S.A.)

and "Possom" for the "Land-of-weird-Animals"...

Brushtail_possum.jpg

Looks like a peice of pale cactus he's eatin' on... :)

Edited by Teotz'

lol andy.

and gee you know alot of stuff Ace! I didn't know possums came out in the day! Assumed they were night critters.

cool

gee you know alot of stuff Ace! I didn't know possums came out in the day! Assumed they were night critters

I'm good at BS'ing my way thru life :wink: I only took a guess there with the mid-day munch, but being that I've recently had a few encounters with my new possum friends (possibly future foe, will have to wait and see how many cacti they eat...), I know that they will wake up during the day if disturbed, but often they just nod off again once left alone (they are definately nocturnal, but we often wake up during the night, so they probably wouldn't be too different). But like I said, if a decent snack presented itself I dont think they'd hesitate to have a quick nibble.

Just such a shame to be a loph that was sacrificed :(

Id put money on a crow. Like mentioned, possums are nocturnal and the loph went during the day. It would be pretty rare for a possum to be out lookin for food in the middle of the day

Crows have been known to take golf balls, they usually fly to their nearest perch and drop the ball so i would go scout around under ya trees Morg or the big ones close by (if any), ya mite get lucky.

Edited by Passive Daemon

Good points Passive - probably more likely than my scenario. I'd definately have a look around for her corpse MORG - who knows, she might be revivable if she is around.

SOLVED!

it was one of the locals!

15872141vs9.png

^^^Hahahaha, somehow I doubt it, but hilarious nonetheless ^^^

gee, i hate it if i read a thread and realize i got something good to say and than somebody else says it, hahaha....

i'm totaly with passive demon, chances are the culprit dropped the loph very near by, after finding out it's not what they though it might be.

SOLVED!

Mr. Rudd there needs a speech bubble with something to the effect of, "Here is the poison that is rotting the brains of our children. We need to make this cactus illegal at any cost."

How do you say that in Mandarin I wonder?

Gen

SOLVED!

That fucking bastard.

Well, had a scout around today and no love. My largest and fairest, gone to the great Mescalero in the sky. And the last I had of the brilliant TarrEx stock! :(

Should I remind people that our pesky possum friends are also NATIVE pesky friends that are protected by law. Live trap and remove far away if possum. Crows are also native! Maybe just protect ur lophs better with a wire mesh cage.

And as for animals not liking mescaline. Tell that to the rat that ate the tips out of every one of my uncages TBM's. Spines are fucking handy in nature as a pest repelant. I laughed one day when I watched a mouse run full pelt and impale itself on a Cereus peruvianus spine. It took a few seconds to free itself and ran away.

has anybody ever found impaled fauna of any kind on cactus?

killing native animals is a pretty lame and temporary way to protect plants.

Organic Pest Control-

1) Pee around your plant. Your scent will drive away animals.

2) Get a cat or dog.

3) Wire works, but is fuckin' ugly.

4) Sling-shot (for a less than lethal shot on native animals) Blast the non-native invasive species with shot-gun or .22 rifle.

5) Other scents may work depending on what kind of animal your dealing with. Try bear scent to scare away "possoms"... or something that would eat a "possom", sorry I don't know Oz wildlife, just North American.

6) Traps, live traps since native speices may be in danger.

~Teotz'~