The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Jobs in the mining industry?

I've got a friend who wants to work in the mining industry. he is single, flexible in terms of location and work hours/days, but doesn't have any mine experience. He's been working as a lab assisstant in a pathology lab for several years, so has lab skills that could be transferred to mine labs [eg: environmental monitoring].

However, what he really would like is to drive BIG TRUCKS.

I initially thought it would be easy to get such a job. After all we have incredibly low unemployment, skills shortage, and who the fuck wants to work in these godforsaken places anyway. 6 Months later and he is still no closer to his dream. He can't even get a foot in the door. It seems these jobs are never advertised and just go to mates.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has experience or contacts in the mines that could help this guy out? He's a bright guy, isn't a stoner and doesn't do drugs [seriously!], and I know he can work hard. I am not asking for personal referrals or anything, but just some pointers or a way to get a foot in the door.

If it's public information post here, but if it is private [eg a job opening] then please PM me.

T - has he got his HR lic, and has he done an accredited trucking course with the haulpaks? Ie - all tickets, or just trying to get in and expect to get trained in most stuff?

Is he only looking to work in the one area or is he willing to move?

Once he has the required tickets etc under his belt, his best bet is something like Red Dirt personnel, Integrated, Mining People etc.

I work in the industry - from the companies i've worked with it's not about mates, it's through the right channels.

Get him to call some of the mining companies and talk directly to HR. Ask them what they would require for him to work on the site. Get that, and then pester them weekly with a call. HR will then get to know him, and know he is interested, so a chance might be given when a role comes up. If it isn't with the company (as often the trucks are driven by contractors, Thiess, Roche, McMahons etc) then call the contractors HR people

Keep trying. If the say no, call the next week, as mentioned above.

When i was a student, studying, looking for vac work (and this was when gold was 350oz or so, before the boom), i annoyed the fuck outta some of the HR mobs, but in the end i never went without a job. Luckily, now i'm pretty much right with any job i decide i want :)

He wants to make a commitment to stay in one role for about a year though, otherwise it will look crap on the resume when he want to go elsewhere, esp after just getting into the industry... I def look at that when checking out resumes...

Hope this helps...

Edited by gilligan

Awesome advice!!

has he got his HR lic, and has he done an accredited trucking course with the haulpaks? Ie - all tickets, or just trying to get in and expect to get trained in most stuff?

No licenses yet. He knew he'd have to start at the bottom, but was hoping for on site training.

Is he only looking to work in the one area or is he willing to move?

He can move anywhere. No ties. As long as gets some time off in civilisation he'll be happy.

Once he has the required tickets etc under his belt, his best bet is something like Red Dirt personnel, Integrated, Mining People etc.

Are these mostly online agencies or mostly real world?

I work in the industry - from the companies i've worked with it's not about mates, it's through the right channels.

Good to know.

Get him to call some of the mining companies and talk directly to HR. Ask them what they would require for him to work on the site. Get that, and then pester them weekly with a call. HR will then get to know him, and know he is interested, so a chance might be given when a role comes up. If it isn't with the company (as often the trucks are driven by contractors, Thiess, Roche, McMahons etc) then call the contractors HR people

Yeah, I noticed that Thiess has a 100% online application process and keeps you on file. So I guess these places are unlikely to go looking for workers on seek.com.au or similar.

Keep trying. If the say no, call the next week, as mentioned above.

He's probably not the most persistent nagger, but I guess if he wants this badly enough he'll have to learn ;)

He wants to make a commitment to stay in one role for about a year though, otherwise it will look crap on the resume when he want to go elsewhere, esp after just getting into the industry... I def look at that when checking out resumes...

I don't think he likes change all that much, so once he's got his first job he'll be happy to stick with that for a while. Obviously this is easier if the job is already close to what he is looking for [driving trucks, operating machinery].

Thanks again. I knew there had to be someone here with a bit of inside knowledge. Didnd't think it would be quite that fast though :)

my dad worked as a hr manager for a mining company. he has always said that mines prefer females as big truck drivers, they tend to be safer drivers and have less accidents than males. i never got the impression that its a 'mates only' industry, next time i speak to him ill find out what he has to say about getting a foot in the door.

No licenses yet. He knew he'd have to start at the bottom, but was hoping for on site training.

a lot of companies would prefer it if the individual went and got tickets beforehand, looks like they are dedicated to getting that job. It costs companies a SHITELOAD of dosh to train people from scratch.

He can move anywhere. No ties. As long as gets some time off in civilisation he'll be happy.

Sweet, he should be in good stead with this then, i believeresidential options for truckies, operators will become more the norm (and probably preferential for the company), with fuel costs impactinng on FIFO (Fly In Fly Out) operations in the medium term.

Are these mostly online agencies or mostly real world?

Real world. Check them online, (basically any mining recruitment mob) and then call their offices. I would try to tee up an interview with them as well, better for them to know a face to a name, and then he can discuss what THEY recommend as well. They place people in the roles, they should know what is required at bare minimum.

Yeah, I noticed that Thiess has a 100% online application process and keeps you on file. So I guess these places are unlikely to go looking for workers on seek.com.au or similar.

They will, but not often. And on the pushy thing, email the resume once a week to all the places as well. These people will then also see his name crop up heaps and eventually put him forward. Get put forward enough with the right quals, and he's in.

He's probably not the most persistent nagger, but I guess if he wants this badly enough he'll have to learn ;)

Yup. And the dollars at the moment are def worth a few more phone calls now... There are plenty of places over here (WA) that are about to increase production as well, so they'll be looking for more people...

Thanks again. I knew there had to be someone here with a bit of inside knowledge. Didnd't think it would be quite that fast though :)

No wuckers... :)

Im sure you have already thought of it but I would suggest you contact Yowie and speak to him about it. :)

i did some research into this because i too have a medium term goal of getting my foot in the door.

things like truck license and first aid certificates are said to be beneficial. people with no mining experience are called 'clean skins' and as you say they don't advertise for clean skins but it doesn't mean they don't take them - it just means have plenty of that type of applicant without needing to advertise.

if he knows which state he wants to work in (WA a good one maybe) then there may be other certifications. WA has a couple which are generic to most mining sites, and what is a few hundred dollars if it gets you into a lucrative industry?

keep the advice coming.

so much common sense stuff here, thanks!

I haven't needed to apply for a job for a long time, so I really have no idea how it works these days anyway, but I think my friend was missing a few key concepts in this too.

Andy, can't believe I didn't think of him. Thanks!!!

It might be best for him to start at the bottom - ie as fieldy, or some other shit kicking job, and then once he is employed and on site, start pushing for whatever training is necessary to become a haulpak operator or whatever.

From my own experience working as a consultant to mining companies, I recommend working for the bigger companies like BHP and Rio. They have their downsides, like lots of beauraucratic regulations, but they are much more likely to do things properly and communicate effectively. Most of the smaller companies I have worked for couldn't organise their way out of a paper bag. I have no idea how they are able to conduct a full scale mining operation because basic communication between levels in the coporate heirarchy seems beyond some of them.

my girlfriends best friends father runs a company in the blue mountains. her husband just got a job as a driver, no training. its all on the job training. not sure if they need more people but i can ask when i see them next weekend.

Clean urine samples go along way, in this industry being union sites, you will be asked to piss in a cup from time to time.

Beware of the long shifts, 12 hours being the norm in WA

You start off on the award, so for HR driver about 21.90 per hour,(you can get more driving in the city!!) you save heaps if its like a live in position

rotating roster, 1 week dayshift (38 c full body overalls) 1 week night shift

Sounds tough but yeah Companies like rio put on a decent breakfast, dinner.

They (mining companies) have trouble keeping good staff

The big money is in driving a heavy combination or road train or 'tonka truck' and other heavey shit like excavator's

If the individual has the drive and the patience to put up with the lower paid jobs, big things follow

its a step at a time in this trade, hence thats why i didn't make it,

Does it have to be driving trucks? There seems to be plenty of work going for industrial radiographers (x-raying welds) in that sort of industry.

Probably best to start out as an IR assistant, a couple of easyish exams and you get your cert to work as the assistant, after 3 months experience in the field, do a week long course followed by harder exams and some licenses and you are an industrial radiographer.

And the added bonus is you get to see in the dark with your new found x-ray vision. Caution some green hulking may occur - avoid getting angry :lol:

But seriously I think the money can be pretty good plus some companies send you all over the place for this stuff.

guys....

BMA (of BHP) has advertised for cleanskins in the courier mail

probably on their website www.career-one.com.au

it's pretty unusual. if i were you torsten i'd pass that info on to your friend.

You wouldnt get me driving a truck in a mine for all the monkeys in the world, we had a very good friend come back from driving bus's in europe to drive trucks in the mines, she now has thallium poisioning so bad her hair is silver, she stutters all the time, can hardly get out of bed in the mornings, looks like absoulte shit the list can really go on, she sued the mining company and lost, its cost her her life and basically everything she owns.

If he hasn't got his heavy ridgid license and wants cash now.

I'd suggest going to ESS which is a division of a global company called compass - who deal with the hospitailty side of cleaning, bar work and food prep. They pay well, and it's a good foot in the door, to get onto the sites and once he's there, can make inside contacts quite easy without requiring tickets or training first. If he is a bright smart guy he will stand out from a lot of the ferals that work out there quickly.

I registered with ESS and they had me inducted and ready to fly in 4 days.

I've got two other friends who did the same and one has just worked for 6 months and travelled europe with his savings for 4 months and the other is now a rig pig for an off shore oil company near PNG and is making a $130k a year, and started from making salads in the kitchen 3 years ago.

It's an option.