The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
DayLight

Nigella Sativa seed oil

i posted this two other sites already, forgot to post here!

Nigella sativa is an angiosperm native to southeast asia. the plant is used mainly as a spice in candies and liquors.

Koeh-227.jpg

that is nigella sativa on the left and another nigella spp. on the right.

Isaiah 28:25-27

25When he hath made plain the face thereof, doth he not cast abroad the fitches, and scatter the ketsah, and cast in the principal wheat and the appointed barley and the rie in their place? 26For his God doth instruct him to discretion, and doth teach him. *n26.1 27For the fitches are not threshed with a threshing instrument, neither is a cart wheel turned about upon the ketsah; but the fitches are beaten out with a staff, and the ketsah with a rod.

Sallallahu alayhi wa sallam said that this seed oil is the perfect health remedy and cure for disease. he claimed to have divine inspiration from allah. it is listed in 'Tibb-e-Nabavi', medicine of the prophet.

AND NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF!!!

Nigella sativa seed has opioid action. in a laboratory the seed oil suppressed nociceptive response in the hot-plate test, tail-pinch test, acetic acid-induced writhing test and in the early phase of the formalin test in rats. the activity as blocked by narcan.

yes, nigella sativa seed oil is REVERSIBLE BY NARCAN!!! very important.

the seed oil is cross tolerant with morphine, but apparently not the other way around.

the polyphenols have some analgesic activity, but it is still poorly understood. most likely the analgesia from the polyphenols is not from activity on the opioid receptor sites. the opioid activity comes from thymoquinone.

last night I took the seed oil for the first time. ingested a bit more than a tablespoon. about 30-45 min after eating the oil, my stomach was in very minor discomfort and I was experiencing opioid effects similar to kratom, but less complex. the addition of a tea made of three lanced and partly dried poppy pod was made. a tea of three unlanced pods from the plants I grew(remember alk content will vary in poppy pod) is usually a bit short of a full nod. with the seed oil, I used a much lower dose(taking into consideration the pods were lanced and much morphine was lost to collecting opium), and achieved a round trip ticket to nodland.

all in all, THIS STUFF IS GOOD! pretty easy to find, and works wonders as an opiate augmentation. I will give more reports of my use of the seed oil as an intoxicant on its own and as augmentation for oxycontin and kratom.

sources

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/jmf.2005.8.488

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...56ccbad7afcf906

• Like 1

That is very interesting.

Salvia n. and myrrh have reputed pain-killing properties as well....

It always nice when somebody comes up with a new botanical with pleasant effects.

I bought a packet of seeds and a bottle of oil recently from a Lebanese grocer in Melbourne, to test as a medicinal and cooking spice, no idea of reputed other uses.

The claims made for the oil- "Strengthening immunation, increasing the body's vitality, a general strenth, to cure cough and chest problems, a cure for every ailment"

and dosage- "full tea spoon on an empty stomach and another before sleeping, for children half tea spoon with honey bee or fresh juice." !

Not sure about the "honey bee" although if the sting was removed first.....

The oil packet says "Habet el baraka oil"

thats the stuff! try a tablespoon to start. this stuff is surefire potentation, perhaps an intoxicant by itself.

Spring Cakes is at 3-52D Foster St. Dandenong, #03-97946660. They stock seed and oil.

However, it seems to be such a well known herb amongst Lebonese, I suspect any Leb grocer would stock it.

Michael Tierra's book "the way of herbs" (1990) raves about this herb.

I bio-assayed today, I'm on medically prescribed endone (10mg) which I took about 10am, then after reading the thread,

took a teaspoonful of black seed oil. Huge synergism, nodding, etc.

I took another teaspoon about 6pm and more synergism.

Note that I only had the one 10mg dose of Endone this morning!

Spring Cakes is at 3-52D Foster St. Dandenong, #03-97946660. They stock seed and oil.

However, it seems to be such a well known herb amongst Lebonese, I suspect any Leb grocer would stock it.

Michael Tierra's book "the way of herbs" (1990) raves about this herb.

I bio-assayed today, I'm on medically prescribed endone (10mg) which I took about 10am, then after reading the thread,

took a teaspoonful of black seed oil. Huge synergism, nodding, etc.

I took another teaspoon about 6pm and more synergism.

Note that I only had the one 10mg dose of Endone this morning!

what is your usual (daily)dose?

Daily dose is 2@5mg every 6 hours.

I certainly didn't need a second dose after nigella oil.

I've read one of main actions of Nigella is anti-inflamatory,

inflamation is universal component of most medical

conditions, and probably accounts somewhat for the panacea claim of Nigella.

there was an idea i liked going around a year or 2 ago that much of the effects of aging were due to stresses caused by inflamation, and that daily/regular anti inflamitaries would improve quality and quantity of life.[laymans version?].

t s t .

nope. im a lazy fuck. gotta get off my ass to go find some, but i have gotten a favorite ethno vendor of mine to carry this material(sorry aussies me and KT are stateside!), so i may wait another week or two till he stocks it. but as i said before i will test it by itself, with pods, kratom, and hopefully(junk dealers are assholes) oxycodone.

Any guesses as to best way to use whole seed, rather than oil? I found 50g for 3 bucks at the fruit shop, the rest of the spices in the same range have usually been top notch. Bulk seed, maybe a similar seedcount to P.harmala, quite weighty too.

VM

powder, mix to paste with honey

Yeah not looking for a nod, just some home-growable analgesia. Especially that those lil yellow happy pills are starting to get a lil heated of late... beat the rush I guess. Nice looking plant too, like a P harmala got it on with an Atropa, or somesuch. Very Voynichian!

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs/10.1089/jmf.2005.8.488

http://www.saudijgastro.com/article.asp?is...06;aulast=Tariq

http://www.drugs.com/npp/kalanji.html

Intermaresting stuff... hoping the seed I picked up is viable, fingers crossed.

I'd rate a standard sized toke x 3 as "pyrolicious" and almost immediately relaxing without being fogging or distracting. Short acting. Very oily thick mid-section kinda vapour, akin to P harmala but not as fishoily. Makes the room smell oddly of smouldering horse poo? Maybe I just need a shower :lol:

VM

While in the grocer today buying some Grapefruit :P I took a peek at the spice rack (force of habit) and noticed they had Nigella seeds imported from Turkey. This thread immediately popped into mind. Been quite keen to bioassay but I have only access to "Love In A Mist' var which has always invaded mine and many other local gardens, I have been tempted to try but have read are inedible. Anyway while searching for dosage info I found this most interesting tidbit:

Title of Thesis

ROLE OF NIGELLA SATIVA IN OPIOID DEPENDENCE

Author(s)

Sibghatullah Sangi

Institute/University/Department Details

Department of Pharmacology/ University of Karachi

Session 2004

Subject

Pharmacology

Number of Pages 129

Keywords (Extracted from title, table of contents and abstract of thesis)

nigella sativa, opioid dependence, detoxification, hyper-tension, arrhythmias, ischaemic heart disease, calcium channel blockers,

Abstract

Opioid dependence is a chronic disorder that produces changes in brain pathways that remain long after the patient stops taking the drug. These protracted brain changes put the dependent person at greater risk of relapse. Detoxification can be successful in cleansing the person of drugs and withdrawal symptoms; it does not address the underlying disorder, and thus is not the adequate treatment. Maintenance with methadone or naltrexone is the usual practice in the long-term management of opioid dependence but both drugs have their own disadvantages because no single medication is appropriate for every individual for treating their opioid dependence, it is important that clinicians have a variety of the therapeutic agents available to them.

Calcium channel blockers, such as verapamil, diltiazem, nifedipine, nimodipine, and felodipine are useful drugs being used in cardiovascular disorders, such as hyper-tension, arrhythmias, and ischaemic heart disease. Research on calcium channel blockers has proved their therapeutic potential in a variety of disorders such as asthma, diarrhoea, premature labour, and diseases of central nervous system such as epilepsy, and opioid dependence. Modern drugs are not only expensive and beyond the reach of majority of the population of world but also have multiple side effects. Hence there is a need to explore such drugs from indigenous sources and to observe if combination of desired therapeutic efficacy exists in nature.

Nigella Sativa is in use for the treatment of variety of ailments since ancient times. Research has based its many effects on their efficacy of blocking calcium channels. As calcium channels have been tried for the treatment of opioid dependence, so Nigella Sativa was used in this study. This study was carried out on 50 patients who were divided into two groups. Patients were admitted for 12 days and then weekly followed up for 12 weeks.

Each patient received placebo orally during day-1 and day-2 of admission. Thereafter Nigella Sativa was given to the patients from day-3 of admission to eighth week. Then the dose of each drug was tapered off during 9th and 10th weeks and then no treatment was given during last two weeks.

It was observed that Nigella Sativa showed a rapid improvement in signs and symptoms of acute opioid abstinence. It was also observed that Nigella Sativa prevented the development of significant craving and relapse. It is concluded that Nigella Sativa is effective in long term management of opioid dependence and it is suggested that further long term follow up studies may be designed with greater number of patients.

LINK

(if anyone can access the full thesis could you please post a link, I seem to be unable to)

I have dosed roughly 5grams 75mg/kg orally and can attest to effects exactly as VM stated..gentle and quite nice mental fogging and definite anxlyiosis/relaxtion.

I read about this oil and started researching about 4 years ago...

I found a source for isolated thymoquinone, a component of the oil as well.

I thought about fortifying the oil.....but havnt taken steps yet.

I think that this plant material is one of the most active of the natural opioids.

a good cough syrup could be made from this oil, menthol in high doses alone.

menthol and thymoquinone have similiar structure...

menthol is a kappa opioid agonist

perhaps thymoquinone has some affinity?

I sort of doubt that it does.

the oil is a good potentiator of opiates/opioids....I actually have not tried the oil sans exogenous opiates/opioids though...I have been on a dose of painkillers for some years now..

but I am a sensitive user....I am even happy with codeine....doses of over a hundred milligrams is rarely needed..

I am able to use around the same amount of opiates without upping my dose too much.

using plant materials/herbs/vitamins helps me keep tolerance in check.

discipline as well.

so I have a fairly good idea that the oil is really working...for one reason...I am usually beyond getting itchy, or nodding from my opiate use alone...that usually has to be a poly substance process to get to the nod, or the itch.

but just a few tablespoons of this nigella oil, and I get itchy as hell. nose, legs...the usual spots.

and the euphoria...

and nausea that is possible from taking too much of the oil.

combining the oil and grapefruit juice too close together is not reccomended..

I just saw a paper the other day that looked into using this oil for tolerance/painkilling augmentation when combined with standard opiate medications.

and its possible that the oil is a decent analgesic just alone....

I have not researched any substitution of the oil for opiates..

but I have tried the oil when weening from opiates....and a once when kicking morphine...but I was also taking kratom at that point as well.

anyway, a good oil for those willing to experiment...

the oil can be expensive now...compared to 4 years ago..

but really you dont need much....30-40$ worth can last for a few months.

While in the grocer today buying some Grapefruit :P I took a peek at the spice rack (force of habit) and noticed they had Nigella seeds imported from Turkey. This thread immediately popped into mind. Been quite keen to bioassay but I have only access to "Love In A Mist' var which has always invaded mine and many other local gardens, I have been tempted to try but have read are inedible. Anyway while searching for dosage info I found this most interesting tidbit:

LINK

(if anyone can access the full thesis could you please post a link, I seem to be unable to)

I have dosed roughly 5grams 75mg/kg orally and can attest to effects exactly as VM stated..gentle and quite nice mental fogging and definite anxlyiosis/relaxtion.

I'm in the perfect position to give this one a whurl..nice one just what I'm looking for.

H.

I've been reading up on the alkaloid in Nigella damascena - common Love-in-the-Mist, damascenine. http://ctd.mdibl.org/detail.go?type=chem&acc=C018499

It seems to be sedative and anti-convulsant, but I'm having trouble getting good references, and I have no idea about potential toxicity (so don't run out and eat a bunch without some better info!). One phrase in an abstract that did leap out at me however was this: "N. damascena essential oil was almost completely composed of sesquiterpenes." (L. Filippo D'Antuono, "Seed yield, yield components, oil content and essential oil content and composition of Nigella sativa and Nigella damascena", Industrial Crops and Products, 2001) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...0419596514c4fb3

Might be worth a closer look.

Any updates on this botanical and it's effects?

Hey guys... was doing a bit of research myself and came across this a brand of Nigella Sativa oil known as Hab-Shifa Black Seed Oil : www.habshifa.com.au.. its the first australian owned oil and even has approval by the TGA..

I've tried it myself and can safely say its muchh more effective than the other products on the Australian market. A basic blind sniff test (blindfolded myself and sniff tested the Hab-Shifa oil against another Black Seed Oil), proved the Hab-Shifa Black Seed Oil to be much more potent in aroma.. the other brand seemed to be diluted with water or something- there was no smell at all.. Anyway hope this helps anyone who's still on the search..

P.S- the Hab-Shifa website also has some listed references and links to published studies.. definitely worth having a read of