The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
TheFriendlyPlanter

Tricho fruits

Just wondering how good these are to eat. Is there any particular species that is regarded as better or tastier than the others. I suppose I should do a search. (Let you know how I go)

While we're on it, what causes peruvian apple fruits to split sometimes. Is it just too much water or does depend on the genes of the plant etc. Does this happen with Trichosereus fruit? Cheers

The fruit usually split when they are ripe IDMM allowing ants birds or whatever to get to tha seed and yes, it happens to tricho fruits and then the ants come, then they take the seed, then ya got nuthin :S. Spachianus fruit aint too bad but cereus sp have the better tasting fruits.

Cool. Thanks for the replies.

I noticed that fruit from Opuntia ficus indica greatly improve in taste if left to 'ripen on the windowsil' for a couple of days. This would probably be the case with most cacti fruit I'm thinking. So you could pick them just before they split and let ripen up a bit before consumption.

I think I recently read that Cereus and Trichocereus can possibly hybridise which sounded like BS to me but if it were true there may be potential for some interesting fruit, using a spatch for example. Not much ethnogen potential with that one though.

Whats the go with crossing Cereus and Trichos? Possible?

Hi i have a question on behalf of my boyfriend regarding tricho fruits.

He just pulled a fruit off a tricho which had split open. It didn't just pop off, sounds like he had to use a bit of force to break it free.

Is this okay?

What does everyone else do?

Pull them off? Or are you supposed to wait until it practically falls of by itself?

post-8023-0-92044400-1375942800_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-24196400-1375942820_thumb.jp

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

when fully ripened, tricho fruits will split open, but rarely fall off on their own accord, even after fully ripening.

if I'm concerned about getting all the seeds possible, I'll use a knife, else wise I just pull the fruit off by hand.

edited to add pic of ripened scop fruit

post-3765-0-71588800-1375983145_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-71588800-1375983145_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-71588800-1375983145_thumb.jpg

Edited by zelly
  • Like 1

Yay so we're all good.

Thanks Zelly!!