The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Coschi

Acacia Acuminata lookalike in Vic

Around Warburton in Vic I have seen large amounts of a plant that looks a lot like acacia acuminata

I have never seen it in flower and don't quote me on the fact that it's even a wattle, but it looks a lot like this

003_2.jpg

Perhaps the leaves/phyllodes are denser than those shown above

I'll get some pics next time :)

That would be A.burkittii

whether you want to call it A. acuminata subsp. burkittii or just A. burkittii, as far as i know it doesnt occur anywhere in southern vic. today i checked out some really big spreading Burkitt's wattles down through SW NSW but id say it almost certainly doesnt reach across the Murray.

there are lots of mucronata around the area though they dont have terete phyllodes and im sure youve seen them before.

maybe Viminaria juncea?

definitely not Viminaria juncea

Judging by google image results it's not Acacia burkittii

Bah, this is tricky without any pics

I'll go back and get some pics maybe this weekend

A. burkittii is across much of central Australia. That plant does look like it but as Fezza says I don't think it's in the part of the world.

Ferret, most West Aussies will follow the WA Herby and give it species status - but this is another one of those subjective taxonomic decisions that people will argue about til the wattles come home.

Genista species look alot like this too ( not 'yellow broom' the other one )

i think thats a pic off burkittii coschi pulled off the net cos it looked similar..

it wasnt a casuarina?

where can I get more info or pictures on accuminata?

I have some seed I am going to plant says Ajana/Binnu/accuminata.

what's the common name?

Jam wattle or Raspberry Jam wattle. You will note (when they get big) that on hot days, or when pruned, they smell a bit like raspberry jam. Actually I find the smell most reminiscent of that fake watermelon candy flavour. Sometimes when you walk through a grove of jam wattles the smell is quite strong.

Acacia acuminata is a wide spread species with different forms in different areas. There are also several taxa with informal names which were previously considered subspecies of acuminata but now have species status.

Ajana and Binnu are areas north of Perth near Geraldton. I hear the wattles are nice up there.

I've actually been stalking this plant for a few years now, it seems to pop up around rocky slopes in warburton.

I've long believed it to be Acacia mucronata ssp, there seems to be 3 variants very closely localized.

I had a couple hundred photos somewhere, I'll be sure to take some next time I'm up.

Tests showed up positive for tryptamines in relatively negligible amounts.