The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
divinersage

Need ID

Question

FOAF found on nature strip in well watered grass in SE Melbourne Suburb.

Fairly certain it is a sub, there's lots more pins nearby where my FOAF found this one.

I uploaded images for your viewing here:

http://gallery.mac.com/linkyy#100008

ABOVE LINK OF PICTURES HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED!

PLEASE CHECK MY POST BELOW WITH MORE RECENT UN-ID mushrooms.

CHEERS!

Edited by divinersage

20 answers to this question

nah, but an example of a lookalike. growing in grass makes it less likely, and seemed to stain dark brown. have a look in mulch beds or better yet pine needles.

check out a current thread by coschi called 'galerina v's psylos in vic'.

:)

Edited by Korky

thanks for the heads up guys muchly appreciated, those damn lookalikes!!!

i did a spore print and it just came out a creamy white. though it was a very young specimen maybe not old enough to release spores?

anyway thanks again for the help. you learn something new every day! :)

i did a spore print and it just came out a creamy white. though it was a very young specimen maybe not old enough to release spores?

A mushroom is a fungus' way of spreading spores and having sex. If you can see the gills, it's releasing spores.

it looks like Marasmius oreades to me, were they growing in a fairy ring?

edit: as mentioned before, you shouldnt be looking at naturestrips. grass is the wrong environment unless the grass is growing over woody debris (unlikely on a nature strip). check out woodchipped garden beds, natural wood & leaf mulch in native vegetation and pine plantations.

Edited by genki

thanks for the tips and info genki. yeah i wasnt particularily looking there they just caught my attention and my obviously un-trained eye registered them as subs.

went for another hunt today around some man-made woodchip areas next to a childrens playground, found a few specimens none bruised blue but im taking a spore print just for happy fun times :)

its a great idea to try and id most or all of the mushrooms you find. some are easy, some arent but a bit of practise will help. youll start to pay more attention to the subtle visible differences and gain a broader understanding of features that set them apart. plus i think its good fun, mushrooms are fascinating!

the blueing is an indicator but shouldnt be relied on as a sole means of identification. older, drier mushrooms often barely bruise at all. good luck hunting!

Edited by genki

eager beaver!!!! :wink:

maybe some young collybia butyracea this mushroom is known to have a white spore print??

Collybia butyracea does have a white/cream spore print although the gills are also usually white and quite crowded. in the posted pictures the gills dont appear to be white and a spread a little further apart, hence my guess of Marasmius oreades.

i did c that :slap:

fairly distinctive shade diference though eh....

Ok thanks for all the help so far guys, BUT...... i have some more EVEN more promising finds from today thanks to GREENHOUSE for some handy tips and directions :worship::lol:

went up NE melbs way and found a few of what i believe to be small subs amongst HUNDREDS of gallerinas! very scary stuff some of them where actually growing only metres apart! :wacko:

just need your guys check of approval for these. some definite blue bruising, found them amongst dead leaf litter next to a creek.

post-4322-1211274567_thumb.jpg

post-4322-1211274575_thumb.jpg

post-4322-1211274582_thumb.jpg

Edited by divinersage

congrats, they look the goods to me. if they were found growing amongst gallerinas check them all carefully, better to be doubly safe than sorry. otherwise, enjoy where legal to do so!

Nice little find there mate. Well done. First subs ever aye?

thanks for the ID guys, yeah first ever find very happy to say the least :) :) :)

a few questions. probably dont belong in this thread but oh wells.

how long will these mushrooms last if i dont dry them?

and how would you suggest i dry them?

air circulation will dry them out. a fan forced oven on fan setting without any heat works well. or you can put them on newspaper in front of a fan, most of the time i find just leaving them spread out in a room works although you might not want to risk it.

buy yourself a cheap dehydrator

theres maggots forming in the shrooms before you even pick them so drying quikly is a must

also psyilocybin is affected by being exposed to air so seal em off after drying asap :wink:

Piece of paper towel, an oven rack (or one of those bamboo rice-steamers) and a dry place served me well in the past.

Don't know about maggots...

dried them out in the sun on some newspapers for about a day then chucked them in an airtight container in a brown paper bag with some of thes dessicants from vitamin bottles, hope this works well.

thanks to all who have contributed to this thread!

Mate they won't be dry enough if they were only out for a day - if the stems on them don't *snap* when you bend them (should be like a twig) then they will likely grow mould or worse if they are in an airtight jar.

Leave them out under a fan for at least 2 or more days, then put them in the jar with some 'damp rid' or other dessicant (even dry rice works ok) to suck out the last of the moisture.

i personally find the dessicant stage to be an unnecessay hassle, if they arent bone dry after 2 or more days in front of a fan they never will be. if they are huge and you are worried about them not air drying properly cut them in half.