The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

"Lost Peyotes" and other Psychoactive or Medicinal Cacti

Wasn't planning on grafting. I'm not very good at it.

It'll ruin potency if I graft...

Edited by Teotz'

I may have to make a run down to your neck of the woods just to teach you how to graft if thats the case. You can always remove the graft and let it root on its own for a few years after a desirable size has been attained.

It'll ruin potency if I graft...
Lets think about this... Graft to Pereskiopsis and get 6 years growth in 1 year, degraft and let grow on its own roots for a year. Result: in two years getting an independant plant with more than 6 years growth which is nearly full strength from the year on its own roots. Potency can build up at any time, its not so gradual that you cant accelerate growth.

And man, if you ever want to try hybridizing you'll be a little old lady before you get close to finishing a more intricate project.

And if you ever want to try hybridizing you'll be a little old lady before you get close to finishing a more intricate project.

I know.

Edited by Teotz'

The 1st post has been updated... please check it out!

See Here!

Edited by Teotz'

I would just like to stress that the re-establishment of any native plants by those who have no idea about ecological, and conservation genetics could have dramatic negative influences on the remaining endemic population there before the re vegetation...

I stress that releasing any plant into the wild, whether that species occurs in the area or not is a recipe for disaster...

Please leave the conservation to those who understand the extremely complex eco-system which drives the vegetation on our planet...

If you want to stop the 'demise' of peyote stop eating the #$%$ thing!!!

I can't imagine releasing some Lophophora or Aztekium anywhere would hurt anything, but with more invasive species, yes your probably correct.

yeah i cant imagine some of the slowest growing plants on earth are going to take over a hillside and destroy some other plant/animals habitat.

guys i think mr stay puft was referring to provenance & the massive negative impacts to the genetic integrity of a species when plants from distant geographical locations reproduce together.

Would that not increase the genetic diversity and be a good thing?

Would that not increase the genetic diversity and be a good thing?

no it would dilute the gene pool & destroy the genetic integrity of isolated populations of plants. possibly leaving them much more susceptible to diseases etc which they may have formerly had a propensity to resist.

the dynamics of ecosystems are extremely complex & poorly understood. as humans we know so little & we can do a lot more harm than good even when we're trying to do the right thing. but introducing foreign genes to a native population of rare plants would be an incredibley stupid thing to do, no matter how good your intentions

Alright well then, lets say we are specifically talking about releasing Lophophora or Aztekium in Australia.

Since there is nothing it could possibly interbreed with (there aren't even any native cacti in Oz) then your argument is useless.

Releasing Lophs into the wild in Australia? Just remember the cane-toad.

Imagine large parts of the country being over-run by feral lophs. Kids walking around with golf clubs taking a swing at the things. People intentionally driving their cars over them. Councils organising "collect-a-cactus" days to cull their numbers. Oh the horror, the horror!! :o

Imagine large parts of the country being over-run by feral lophs. Kids walking around with golf clubs taking a swing at the things. People intentionally driving their cars over them. Councils organising "collect-a-cactus" days to cull their numbers. Oh the horror, the horror!!

Ya seriously! How terrible! Think of the children!

Alright.... back on topic, let's talk about "Lost Peyotls" now please.

well firstly it's not an argument, we are just informing you of something which is very important & if you're into regeneration & conservation of a species & you don't take these things into account then you're an irrisponsible idiot.

the question of releasing them in australia is not really relevant . the chances of Lophs or Aztekiums actually establishing themselves in australia is probably pretty slim but it would still be an irrisponsible thing to do because the ways which this would affect the australian ecology is totally unknown. i can't see them becoming a major problem obviously but the fact is we don't know & it's this lack of knowledge & our self riotous ignorance which has caused all our problems.

it's this lack of knowledge & our self riotous ignorance which has caused all our problems.

What kind of problems are we talking about here? :P

What kind of problems are we talking about here? :P

well i should have been a bit more specific... i was on a bit of a rant. i meant all our ecological problems.

i get a bit worked up over this subject because it's what i spend half my life doing. i study enviro-science & conservation & land management & the rest of the time i get paid to try to figure out how to manage native bushland in urban areas. 95% of that is trying to deal with all our fuck-ups from the past & it's a challenge trying to manage these things & not fuck things up even more because we don't understand the intricacies of the ecosystem.

A friend in Mexico told me that he spoke with a Native American who says he has witnessed the use of Obregonia denegrii in religious ceremonies!!!

That is all I have for now! I'm looking for more information! If anybody has any relevant information on these cacti please let me know!!!

Obregonia_denegrii_spiny_810.jpg

A friend in Mexico told me that he spoke with a Native American who says he has witnessed the use of Obregonia denegrii in religious ceremonies!!!

That is all I have for now! I'm looking for more information! If anybody has any relevant information on these cacti please let me know!!!

Now that's a sexy cactus. :slap:

Some how I can't help but imagine if this plant was introduced into the Australian ecosystem the wallaby population would try to eat them causing them all sorts of injuries. I keep on thinking that the amount of animals that would be injured would increase causing unimaginable problems with reproduction which in turn could quite well disable the entire species.(Said in an over dramatic tone)

I'm not going to be able to sleep for weeks.

Edited by KanJe

Let's please stay on topic.

"Lost Peyotes" discussion only please.

Now that's a sexy cactus. :slap:

Some how I can't help but imagine if this plant was introduced into the Australian ecosystem the wallaby population would try to eat them causing them all sorts of injuries. I keep on thinking that the amount of animals that would be injured would increase causing unimaginable problems with reproduction which in turn could quite well disable the entire species.(Said in an over dramatic tone)

I'm not going to be able to sleep for weeks.

somehow i don't think you're taking this seriously pffft

anyway a wallaby wouldn't be that stupid.

however, introducing certain north american human information into the australian meme pool may have devastating effects upon the integrity of the population at large.

Let's please stay on topic.

"Lost Peyotes" discussion only please.

ok sorry teotz, "lost peyotes"

so a friend of a friend said that a friend of his friend may have used Obregonia denegrii in ceremony? thats interesting