The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Argyreia nervosa cultivation & propagation

EDIT : Sorry original photo links changed

My Argyreias, for which I had began to loose hopes due to fungus infections, seem to come out at last from their winter sleep. I cut all the infected leaves, only I did it too late. Even some small argyreia without leaves is waking up.

I read somewhere that they need 15 C temperature minimum - that maybe explains their long \'hibernation\'. Any opinions? Do they also like moisture?

So, I trimmed back my bigger Argyreia and began an attempt to root 2 cuttings, since I found some reports of it working, also indicated in an encyclopedia. They are hard greenwood mostly, not woody, and I also used rotting hormone.

Anyone else with Argyreia experience?

here\'s what we got now

ARGYREIA [HBWR]

th_kormos1.jpgth_kormos2.jpgth_kormos3.jpg

th_DSCN2640.jpgth_DSCN3499.jpg

Edited by mutant

Update:

My argyreias are happy, the growth this spring [ after the fungus infection/damage] was very impressive. What a great plant!

dscn3375lh1.th.jpg

Two different Argyreia strains side by side, both interesting. The right one is over 1 year old but was kept in a small pot until recently, the lieft one is 6 months old, in between are 2 turbinas. Is there anyone who know the subspecies of A.nervosa or any other info links etc?

dscn3393dw2.th.jpg

spot the argyreias! my new-made roof garden

I am currently trying to perfect a way of propagation by cuttings.

th_DSCN2763.jpgth_DSCN2840.jpg

th_DSCN3275.jpgth_DSCN3277.jpg

th_DSCN3670.jpgth_DSCN3671.jpg

Edited by mutant

A happy occasion!

this is the first forum I announce this ["taratatzoum-tzoum-tzoum!"- music from horns and trumpets :P]

My largest argyreia is flowering!

dscn3530hr4.th.jpg

sprout: end of july 07

first bunch: end of october 08

In the photo, one can see the bracts - I didn't know she did this... wow, what a wonderful plant. Below are 3 small buds...

Sorry if I am getting to sentimantal about this, but it's a big day for me :)

I will keep up with the photos

PS-edit- I seem to have succeded in my first cutting of argyreia . It's giving new leaves and growth....

Edited by mutant

Awesome!

What size pot do you have the flowering one in? Ive heard they need a lot of rootspace before they will flower. I have mine in a 35gal pot, but i have to cut it back to fit in a small greenhouse ill be building for it. Im still hoping for flowers though...

shit, isn't it stupid that we used different measurement units?

anyway, this plant is in the soil somewhat less than a year. I got one more in a LARGE barrel. I think argyreia cannot really DO something unless it's given space... I have seen this be true in turbinas also...

35 gals would be, well, 140 litres, well I think thats pretty ok :)

how long has it been there?

Edited by mutant

Sorry, i forgot that i was overseas... Yeh, its a little less than 135 liters.

Its been in the larger pot 4-6 months, prolly closer to 6... Its getting down to 0C tonight, and i havent had a chance to build my greenhouse yet...so who knows how itll be in the morning.

Any guess what size pot your flowering plant is in? Im just curious how small a pot it will flower in. Ive heard people talking about planting them in 55 gal (208 liter) containers, just to get them to flower.

Also, any idea if they are self-fertile? The stories i have read of them flowering, produce no seeds.

I know of another occasion here in greece, some guys had it in a not so huge container and got a couple of flowers, after the second year - it was damaged by frost last year though.... I will try and get an average size for his pot then ...

Like I said, the one that's flowering is in the soil for about a year, but I will surely let you know if the other big one [similar age and size with the flowering one] which is in a container, flowers... :)

And about the self-fertile thing, I suppose that if there are no compatible germinators in your area , then yould try to encourage seeding yourself ;)

they come in bunches anyway, I mean, packs of several flowers for each flowering axis, as I see...

Updates:

Here is the argyreia plant I made from a cutting, my first one, quite proud of it actually :) - I hope it lives to be BIG! Heck it even threw up a vine!!

dscn3671ue5.th.jpg

Here is a close up of argyreia and turbina vines in the first floor balcony bar going upwards...

dscn3670sn4.th.jpg

th_DSCN3698.jpgth_DSCN3700.jpgth_DSCN3704.jpg

First flowers :)

Edited by mutant

well done buddy! what size pot is that in? mine are in ground and i haven't seen a single bud for 3 years lol.

This one, the one that flowered is in the soil for about a year now... it's 15 month old ....

and now that I think of it.... well, just a spontaneous thought....

what's the lower temp in your area round the year?? I suppose it's high, no??

could it be that argyreias, like cacti, like a period of colder weather [in which they hibernate] in order to flower the next season or what??

What method did you use to take the cutting. I've heard that air-layering is the best way for Argyreia. Or can I just chop a piece off and stick it in some soil

What method did you use to take the cutting. I've heard that air-layering is the best way for Argyreia. Or can I just chop a piece off and stick it in some soil

thats what i do cut a thick peice off and chuck it in some soil wait 1 month and repot. Don't try rooting it in wtaer never ever worked for me.

Yeah I think that's the way too. Even though I had them 10 days in water or so, it's propably not so good idea... young rootlets seem to be very sensitive and break off easily, so, yeah, plant direct to soil, maybe use some hormone too. I wouldsay wait for some growth before repotting, and I think a thick cut has better possibilities to take...

I have been trying to do the same with turbinas, and it seems to work

Edited by mutant

DSCN4973.jpg

nice vine...looks really happy and healthy...growing season where you are I suspect...has she ever flowered yet...?

H.

nice vine...looks really happy and healthy...growing season where you are I suspect...has she ever flowered yet...?

H.

look post 9, mutant says first flowers....

but even post 3 says he got flowers...

Edited by planthelper

look post 9, mutant says first flowers....

but even post 3 says he got flowers...

:blush: that's what you get for not reading the whole thread...and just reading the couple of posts....nice vine seriously healthy.

H.

i must have missed the side view of your house, i never realized how tall your plant was....pretty sweet! i keep mine hacked to under 2 floors.

thanks for comments! unfortunately another two of my plants didn't make it - I am still hoping, but am slowly giving up... I am not sure if the death was due to

a ) cold, the position of the 2 plants where in one of the most exposed spots in my roof

b ) lack of watering in winter and/or in the begining of spring

c) too much water in spring, as we had LOTS of rainfall

or combination of the above....

I have to add that my plants woke up 1 month later [appr. 15may] than last year [appr. 15 april] . We had a pretty oldschool spring with lots of rain and much less warm than our usual spring...

like I said, I am still hoping, I am planning planting another one I got in a small pot in ground and trying to propagate it as much as I can

Edited by mutant

its not c....they can take being SUBMERGED for at least 4 days here. but they dont seem cold hardy, as far as freezing goes. mine also wilt fairly quick once the soil dried, is i need to keep on that every few days in dry season! what kind o temps you seeing?

actually kada, i was talking about lots of rain with the plant was being still 'asleep' and I read it doesn't like/need water when it's in hibernation...

We have been having temperatures above 15 C [that's what it likes and then it's when it awakens, normally] from after mid april, but this year they didn't awake so early, we had some nights a bit colder than 15 C... maybe in biegining of may too....

now it's really hot, typical greek dry summer - my 2 year old HBWRs are fine, the other 2 seem. like they died in their sleep :) and shit, the 2 turbinas which are inthe same [huge] container with the 2 dead argyreias are full of mealy. Damn thing, I shouldn't have been snobby to nicotiana cultivation...

i find mealy takes care of itself on turbs', but thats with a small ecosystem around. being where you are there may be no predators?

what are the colds? ours go down to a min of 6C at nights and min of 10 in the day, and still dont react at all to heavy water. they even keep growing in these temps.

if your argyreias keep on growing at 6~10 C, then it's another climate, another cake, maybe even another strain.

my own stopped growing after the first bunch of flowers when the temp started falling lower than 15 C the nights.. We has 5 C min most nights, but also a bit lower at some occasions..., even -1 once, and up to 15-20 at day, during the cold weather...

Mealys are really partying this time, I hope/suppose there are predators where I leave but mealy's are many - and they are helped by the fucking ants ... do you know mealy's predators are ? they would have a feast to my pleasure...! I have lost many leaves and still have no rusticotine to spray them...

The 2 newer HBWR are dead. I think I know what went wrong. Their roots were too unburried. however, the older ones, despite I haven't fertilised but one time at the wake up, are doing fine. Here's a nice comb, HBWR + Turbinas

DSCN5030.jpg