The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alice

Iboga fruit

Edible? Tasty? certainly looks tasty.

I assume it is safe to consume the fruit? Any significant amounts of alkaloids in the fruit that one needs to be aware of?

They haven't cracked one open yet, would one do best to peel the citrusy skin or just chomp whole?

Can the seeds be eaten too (ie are they soft while still in the fruit), or would one spit these out?

And is there any difference in taste between the round fruit and narrow fruit varieties?

They take soooo long to ripen... or perhaps its just that a watched kettle never boils!

im really not sure the fruit is edible. Apocynaceae are not known for their edibility ;)

Id love to get my hands on some fresh seed if your planning on trading/selling. :) peace

I bit into a fruit just to break it open and that experience wold put me off ever trying to eat one.

We've been harvesting fresh seeds for the last 3 months.

There is no obligation to complete any order. We don't activate an order until payment arrives and unpaid orders get deleted after a few months. Loads of people use the webstore to make wish lists etc, so plenty of orders never get completed.

That also means that if you want to place a new order simply do so and then pay the amount for the new order only. If the amounts are similar then best to ask me to delete the old order.

Alica, the fruit can stay 'almost ready' but green for 3-6 months. Then it turns yellow in a matter of a few days and drops off a couple of weeks later.

It is great people are starting to get this plant to this seeding stage... I remember I first came across one a few years ago.

I would be fascinated to try some Australian iboga one day! I suspect it would be just supurb... btw, it is one of these things that even professionals who are doing a lot of work with, are finding it hard to source... so there is certainly no harm in getting those seeds in the ground! :P

Julian.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seed will be available for trade soon, at the moment only one fruit is fully ripe, with lots of others getting close.

I think i'll leave it hanging until it drops, then report back re taste and texture.

This seems to be an easy one to grow, cuttings strike readily. And even 15cm cuttins flower and fruit! Seems to really thrive when planted in filtered light just under the canopy of a leafy shrub, i think the humid microclimate thus created helps alot.

pls keep me in mind alice. This plant is a long over due one on my hit list

no worries mate, you're first on the list. I'll let you know when i pick them. If i dont get back to you in a couple of weeks just pm to remind me. I'm pretty busy these days so i tend to forget things easily :)

the pulp around the seeds can be eaten safely! the peel has the milky white sap in it.... dont eat that..... in nature

MOST things with milky white sap are poisonus.

i eat the pulp from around the seeds as it is the easiestr way to get the pulp off if it is still a bit soft and sticky.

tastes sweet.

in africa Iboga is also grown for the edible fruit. so not only for the psy-goodies

no worries mate, you're first on the list. I'll let you know when i pick them. If i dont get back to you in a couple of weeks just pm to remind me. I'm pretty busy these days so i tend to forget things easily :)

Can i please be second, Alice? Seeing as you're making a list and all :)

would you have any rooted cuttings available as well as seeds, or just seeds?

Can i please be second, Alice? Seeing as you're making a list and all smile.gif

would you have any rooted cuttings available as well as seeds, or just seeds?

Sure thing.

Rooted cuttings are already in the ground now, will take more soon. so probably will be ready for spring. just want to wait as long as possible til fruiting is near completiion before chopping off branches for cuttings.

These seeds need to be kept moist yeah?? so for mailing, should i pop them in some moist sphagnum moss in a zip-locked bag? They'll be mailed the same day they're havested, to ensure freshness.

I suppose the whole fruit could just be posted, though we're keen to munch on the flesh of the fruit.... see how many are harvested i guess.

yeah I think that seems about right Alice. Or even maybe moist paper towels? but then i guess the sphag would prob protect the seed abit more from being crushed.

How many seeds would one expect to get from each fruit?

it seems, from a quick scrolling on the almighty oracle (google), a fruit may contain anywhere from 1-15 seeds.

:)

i get approx 8 to 9 on most fruits.

8 seeds per pod.

We found very little taste to the flesh or the skin, though flesh was very slightly sweet. Skin was quite thick and hard, pulp and seed fell away cleanly from the skin, but difficult to remove the pulp from the seeds.

Those who asked for some seed, mailed this morning so should arrive soon.

alice

Those who asked for some seed, mailed this morning so should arrive soon.

Arrived, thank you muchly