The Corroboree
tonic

Australian Cacti Forum

There is a new forum which is dedicated to the discussion of cacti & their cultivation etc.

Please check it out & feel free to join up. Look foward to seeing you there.

You can find the site at: http://forum.auscactiforum.net/

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

There is a new forum which is dedicated to the discussion of cacti & their cultivation etc.

Please check it out & feel free to join up. Look foward to seeing you there.

You can find the site at: http://forum.auscactiforum.net/

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

Very purrdy, nice n clean, i like it B)

I'm a cactus noob though and if i posted i don't think i'd know where my particular cacti comes from in order to post in the right thread. What about hybrids and such? What about jungle cacti? Instead of splitting by country, is it possible to split by related genera?

I hadn't actually thought about that. I generally grow all my cacti by area etc. it is really good point you raise though and I will try and make it a bit more noob/user friendly.

Noobs are encouraged to join up BTW :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, some food for thought right there.

I hadn't actually thought about that. I generally grow all my cacti by area etc. it is really good point you raise though and I will try and make it a bit more noob/user friendly.

Noobs are encouraged to join up BTW :wink:

Thanks for the feedback, some food for thought right there.

i also thought that phos... I myself would have divided by family, but that because thats how I think of cacti. I imagine though, that the cacti enthusiast will have no issues with your layout. Have u been spruiking it anywhere else on net?

I agree with the earlier comments, splittng the forum up by area will possibly discourage new users.

Also, have you thought of e-mailing some of the various cacti and succulent societies in australia to let them know of the new forum? it might attract some very knowledgable members.

Looks nice. I was thinking there was room for something like this. Good job. :lol:

Edited by Hellonasty

Cool. I'm interested to see how this forum grows over time...

im on the ass end of a bridgessi trip and tha t logo is looking mighty fine!

This is a great idea, and I think there may be a lot of interest from people who wouldn't contribute to an ethnobotany forum, but are experts on cacti. It could be a great source of knowledge. But I would agree that the categories should be taxonomical.

Could a mirror of traditional Cactus Club activities be sustained?

The Annual show with several catagories could easily morph online.

Maybe even a guest speaker every so often.

A pipe dream?

I go to fill my pipe now,an English blend.

Thanks for the honest and helpful feedback, I have made several changes to the new forum if you are keen to check it out. I have used your suggestions and fused them with my concept, a bit of a compromise, but I think it works. Feel free to check it out.

Also, have you thought of e-mailing some of the various cacti and succulent societies in australia to let them know of the new forum? it might attract some very knowledgable members.

Yeah I have emailed a few, and will email a few more, it would be great to get some of the members of the societies to join up, I bet they have some excellent knowledge and photos to share. Haven't had any response from them yet, but it's still early days.

haha kada! Classic! Thanks for the compliment. I think? :wink:

Could a mirror of traditional Cactus Club activities be sustained?

The Annual show with several catagories could easily morph online.

Maybe even a guest speaker every so often.

A pipe dream?

I go to fill my pipe now,an English blend.

Not exactly sure what mean Garbage :scratchhead: but I like the sound of whatever you are smoking LOL

Thanks again all for the feedback.

It's a simple concept,select a show date and choose some catagories.

For example i pick a random date,the first week of August,entries should be submitted during this time.

And then some random catagories,

1:Ariocarpus

2:Any Cactus in a 2" pot

3:Three headed Cactus

4:Grafted Cactus

5:Cristate Cactus

6:Heaviest Marrow,lol

Those bringing Cactus to show select the catagories they wish to enter and post a picture of the specimen taken within the last week or so.

The entries end at the fixed date and time and then the judges decide first,second and third prizes for each catagory as well as a best of show.

No need for headscratching or obscure smoking mixtures.

What i wanna know is what the hell are you doing on the computer on the ass end of a bridgesii trip!!?? :P

Just yesterday I was on facebook and thinking "hm, wonder what's up with Phosphene Dream, he's been quiet lately"

Looks like you've been busy! Good work bro, I just registered and look forward to participating in the forum... oh yeah, and I really like the eye candy too! :)

Sorry to drag up an old thread, it's amazing how time can go so quickly, we launched in 2008, eek. Australian Cactus Forum now has a dedicated Facebook page for our spiny friends ohh and succulents ;) ;) it is in very early stages but content is starting to flow.

To find our page search Australian Cactus Forum on Facebook or follow this link

If you would like to contribute to this project join up at the Forum (click the bottom link in my signature) and there are details on how to submit your photographs :)
EVERYONE is welcome, however I cannot guarantee all of your pics will be posted, we will post the best, weirdest and most interesting shots. Please only send photographs you have the rights to publish, for the lay person in all of us that basically means photographs you have taken personally of YOUR plants or in a public place such as a botanic garden or national park etc, or photos you have express consent from the owner.
Thanks
HN
Edited by Hellonasty
  • Like 2