The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gilligan

Hoodia gordonii seeds for sale on Ebay

Interesting... I've bid, not often this chance comes up... Just thought i'd let others know about it

Hoodia gordonii

Edited by gilligan

are you a winner?

I'm still playing with the idea of trying to import some.....

are you a winner?

I'm still playing with the idea of trying to import some.....

Yeah, WT, i got a pack... :) will see how i go with germination, but chances are i'd prob still be interested with the import ones too...

Well... i got the pack in the post, and that was fine.

You can imagine my amazement when ALL of them germinated... pic attached. These are 3 weeks old now...

post-3727-1211454449_thumb.jpg

we've finally got a local supplier for these seeds and just received the first batch last week. It will probably take a couple of weeks to get them into the store. germinations rates are very high.

What you charging T?

Have you got bulk prices? Interested :)

no bulk at the moment as I don't know how many I can get this season. we'll be charging $4 per packet [as usual], but not sure how many per pack. It will be more than 4 seeds though, so beats the ebay price :wink:

I would be interested to know a price too. But not interested in waiting until it’s in store. ;)

My international search for seed continues... CITES laws are no worries - it’s the additional laws Australia puts on Hoodia which makes it hard.

I have made some very good contacts in Namibia - including a farmer with 15 hectares of Hoodia - ;)

Apparently the market for Hoodia material in Namibia is about to flop. The farmers have large quantities of Hoodia they just can't sell.

My international search for seed continues... CITES laws are no worries - it’s the additional laws Australia puts on Hoodia which makes it hard.

HUH? firstly, they are piss easy to get internationally. secondly, how is it that CITES is not a worry? Hoodia seeds are covered by CITES, which is why australian customs confiscates all Hoodia products they encounter.

HUH? firstly, they are piss easy to get internationally. secondly, how is it that CITES is not a worry? Hoodia seeds are covered by CITES, which is why australian customs confiscates all Hoodia products they encounter.

I should have probably explained myself a little better.

International CITES laws ( Hoodia appendix II) state that Appendix II & III items have general exclusions on

- seeds, spores and pollen (including pollinia);

- seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported

in sterile containers; and

- cut flowers of artificially propagated plants.

So there are plenty of international seed suppliers that will happily send Hoodia seed without breaking any laws and plenty of other countrys have no problems getting them in

Australia however takes it one step further saying the exclusion only exists on non wild collected seed

So my above post should have read....

" The international CITES laws are no worries - it’s the additional laws Australia puts on Hoodia which makes it hard. "

you are selectively reading the CITES legislation. It says:

"Unless otherwise noted, Appendix II and Appendix III listings include all parts

and derivatives except:

- seeds, spores and pollen..."

When you go to the listing for Hoodia it says:

"Listing includes all parts and derivatives except those bearing a label ‘Produced from Hoodia spp. material obtained through controlled harvesting and production in collaboration with the CITES Management Authorities of Botswana/Namibia/South Africa under agreement no. BW/NA/ZA xxxxxx”."

In plain english:

CITES II listing usually excludes seeds, but if it says "all parts of the plant" in the species listing then this means seeds are also included in CITES protection.

Furthermore, as of about 4 months ago there were still no 'cultivated' licenses issued under CITES [and I am pretty sure nothing has changed since then]. The CITES licenses issued by these countries are for wild harvested material which they claim to be sustainable. Estimates by botanists are that about 90% of all Hoodia wild harvested under these licenses is unsustainable. That is why the Australian government insists on licenses that guarantee that any Hoodia material imported in australia comes from farms. Apparently the 3 source countries can't agree on how to issue these licenses, which is why no such hoodia exists exept for the hoodia produced in countries where Hoodia is not native [eg spain]. There are many CITES documents floating around on the web [usually posted by sellers to show their environmental credentials], but most of them have been shown to be fake.

I closed down my very profitable Hoodia business because of the fact that I could not source Hoodia with a clear conscience. I've also had long discussions with the department of heritage and environment [who are the responsible authority for this], as well as customs [who enforce the laws], so I am pretty well informed on the issues [although, after staying on the ball for 4 years I have to admit that I haven't been as keen for the last 4 months] .

There are definitely seed producers out there who do not source wild material, but they don't usually get CITES certificates as they are in the main markets for these seeds [eg USA, Europe]. As for herbal material, I do not trust the CITES management authorities of the 3 source countries, so I will not get back into the Hoodia business until they either become more transparent or until there is a reliable supply from other countries. Mind you that should not be long as Hoodia is now grown in Mexico, Spain and several other countries.

you are selectively reading the CITES legislation. It says:

"Unless otherwise noted, Appendix II and Appendix III listings include all parts

and derivatives except:

- seeds, spores and pollen..."

When you go to the listing for Hoodia it says:

"Listing includes all parts and derivatives except those bearing a label ‘Produced from Hoodia spp. material obtained through controlled harvesting and production in collaboration with the CITES Management Authorities of Botswana/Namibia/South Africa under agreement no. BW/NA/ZA xxxxxx”."

In plain english:

CITES II listing usually excludes seeds, but if it says "all parts of the plant" in the species listing then this means seeds are also included in CITES protection.

Furthermore, as of about 4 months ago there were still no 'cultivated' licenses issued under CITES [and I am pretty sure nothing has changed since then]. The CITES licenses issued by these countries are for wild harvested material which they claim to be sustainable. Estimates by botanists are that about 90% of all Hoodia wild harvested under these licenses is unsustainable. That is why the Australian government insists on licenses that guarantee that any Hoodia material imported in australia comes from farms. Apparently the 3 source countries can't agree on how to issue these licenses, which is why no such hoodia exists exept for the hoodia produced in countries where Hoodia is not native [eg spain]. There are many CITES documents floating around on the web [usually posted by sellers to show their environmental credentials], but most of them have been shown to be fake.

I closed down my very profitable Hoodia business because of the fact that I could not source Hoodia with a clear conscience. I've also had long discussions with the department of heritage and environment [who are the responsible authority for this], as well as customs [who enforce the laws], so I am pretty well informed on the issues [although, after staying on the ball for 4 years I have to admit that I haven't been as keen for the last 4 months] .

There are definitely seed producers out there who do not source wild material, but they don't usually get CITES certificates as they are in the main markets for these seeds [eg USA, Europe]. As for herbal material, I do not trust the CITES management authorities of the 3 source countries, so I will not get back into the Hoodia business until they either become more transparent or until there is a reliable supply from other countries. Mind you that should not be long as Hoodia is now grown in Mexico, Spain and several other countries.

well then.... I stand corrected. :wink:

15 ha of hoodia? get him to send a pic!

I tried to sell some Hoodia gordonii plants on chEatbay 6 months ago, and they came down on me like a ton of bricks!!

I fucken hate the wanker ebay site.

I was selling H. gordonii pups, and they scrubbed my listing for selling live things. I informed them they weren't DOG PUPS,

they were plants.

Then they claimed I was trying to sell endangered plants !!!

I gave them no end of abusive replies. I hope they got the message, that I wasn't taking them from the flamin' wild,

and that they were raised in my backyard in Australia.

Since then I've completely boycotted the arseholes. Absolute bunch of idiots. I hate them all to death.