The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
archaicrevivalist

12v Computer Fan Attached to Glovebox??

Howdy....

I need some friendly input on what to do next with the glovebox I just made...

It's a fair piece of crap, just a 55 L storage tub with two holes cut in the side, a plexiglas lid and tyvek arm sleeves for my arms when the time comes...

i was just wondering though, coz I've seen bits and pieces of this around.... is it worth attaching a 12v computer fan to the side, and then covering the outside with perhaps a really good dust mask from the hardware store....?

i've seen some designs with this included, but i'm not exactly sure on how it works and why it is really done...... as you could tell, I have no idea with this kind of shit.

So do you reckon it's worth it? And why if I may be so bold....

Cheers....

Yeah these work fine , but they are all different volts (the fans that is) the volts and amps are written on the back of them so just buy the right size transformer/voltage pack. As for the filter you can attach a HEPA filter to it and it works just fine i found one that was threaded and intended for use on a respirator.

Remeber the fan sucks air in through the filter into the glove box , creating positive pressure inside.The air spills out around the purspex lid.

Yeah these work fine , but they are all different volts (the fans that is) the volts and amps are written on the back of them so just buy the right size transformer/voltage pack. As for the filter you can attach a HEPA filter to it and it works just fine i found one that was threaded and intended for use on a respirator.

Remeber the fan sucks air in through the filter into the glove box , creating positive pressure inside.The air spills out around the purspex lid.

Cool, thanks alot..... will a dust mask work as good as a HEPA filter, and would both have to be replaced after a while?

And where could I find one of these HEPA filters if a dust mask is no good..... is there anything special I should look for or could I just go and order any old HEPA filter off the net?

Thankyou!! :scratchhead: :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

If you had a non draughty room an isolator will prevent any dust, spores or bacteria from floating into what you are working on. If you clean the inside there shouldn't be any floating nasties. Contaminants are unlikely to make their way into the isolator once properly cleaned.

Having positive pressure inside the box will prevent draughts from introducing anything unwanted through unsealed areas, you need to keep in mind that if it is really blowey inside the isolator it will kick up any particles that may be on the inside. Ideally you want a laminar flow that won't disturb the particles but will push them out.

If your living in a relatively clean newish house then air filtration probably isn't necessary. If you live in a draughty, mouldy 50yr old house then it may be of some use.

A respirator hepa cartridge would be primo as they are easy breathing, small & threaded (Damn 2b, awesome idea - I wish I had thought of it first :worship: )

Check out some of these CBR respirators, its a good laugh. (Chemical, Biological, Radioactive)

http://www.duramproducts.com.au/respirators.html

Edited by Fenris

A respirator hepa cartridge would be primo as they are easy breathing, small & threaded (Damn 2b, awesome idea - I wish I had thought of it first :worship: )

where could i find a hepa filter of any kind? i can't find anything on the net.... would one that was supposed to be used with a vacuum cleaner be alright....? and would i just cut it to fit to computer fan?

cheers

I think that any of those screw in disc cartridges for respirators would be up to hepa standards. You can get them at safety shops, you know the ones that sell safety goggles and steel capped footware and overalls and fluro work vests. The replacement cartridges seem to go for under $10.

That's the one and if you buy a plastic drain fitting from the hardware store (the kind in the bottom of your bathroom sink) and mount it inside your box so the drain pipe bit pokes out (through a whole you cut) you will find that the thread on the drain pipe is the same as the filter cartridge so it will just screw staight on. Of course the fan has to be inside but that is no problem.

A HEPA filter is a HEPA filter, the only reason to use one over the other is convenience .