The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theobromos

Coriander

According to "Plantas Medicinales; Dioscorides Renovado" by Pio Font Quer, the seeds and essential oil of coriander will cause a drunkenness lasting up to 12 hours witrh no unfortunate aftereffects. He says in another part of the article that no toxic effects are felt below three ounces of the seed.

Anyone tried too much coriander? The major constituent of the essential oil is linalool, which does affect some neurotransmitters.

I suspected linalool to be the thing that knocked me out in cheap nutmeg and sassafras oil (see old nutmeg thread). And by knocking out, that's what I mean. It was like getting drunk REALLY quickly and then falling into bed into a really deep sleep. Did have sideeffects though, but that could just be from the large dose. Could be interesting in smaller doses.

Dunno about this particular substance, but most aromatic essential oils are both carcinogenic and hepatoxic. I certainly wouldn't assume that there would be no side-effects, even if you don't notice any immediately. Be careful.

I was surprised to see very few negative medical effects listed for linalool on Dr. Dukes database. Its not listed as carcinogenic, hepatotoxic or cytotoxic. It does promote the growth of tumors :( but since its not listed as carcinogenic that usually means it only promotes tumors that are already there :) It is irritant and prooxidant. Prooxidant aint too bad- just eat onions and chile peppers or lemons (a good curry will give you the onion and some chile pepper plus turmeric usually boosted with black pepper which is good too). Where was I going with this...

It is listed as a cancer-preventative motor-depressant hypnotic sedative.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/duke/Doesnt anybody else check Dr. Dukes database?

And watch what ya call aromatic when your talking about a single compound- people might get the wrong idea. Linalool is aromatic, but at the same time it most definatly is not aromatic. A better way to say that is linalool smells, and its most definatly not aromatic [dont mind me, I just have issues with a language that would make 10 million words and then give each one five or more definitions].

Wow, I made 649 posts before my first double post!

[Note- if you hit 'submit' and it says 'web site not responding' dont automatically assume its telling the truth, it may have actually posted it and its just baiting you for a double post].

[ 25. April 2003, 19:40: Message edited by: Auxin ]

I suspected it was the borneol in the nutmeg oil that would knock you out, those camphors are lethal, literally.

I do use Duke's database occasionally but I usually grind my teeth afterwards and mumble curses. The bastard hasn't updated a single thing for years and all his references are to himself (even in his equally unhelpful books, the ability to look up references is primary to good science). Though I just checked and found out why the nutmeg oil has been helping my hayfever.

Linalool is on the GRAS ("generally regarded as safe") list of the FDA of the USA.

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/eafus.html

I usually do a search and see what comes up instead. For example, with "linalool" and "material-safety" :

LD50 Oral (rat) 2.79 g/kg. (Linalool)

Based on toxicological studies in the published literature, there are no risk and safety phrases to assign for this product.

LISTED AS CARCINOGEN BY NTP, IARC, OR OSHA?: NO

And another:

Appearance: colourless liquid. Flash Point: 75 deg C. Caution! Combustible liquid and vapor. May cause eye irritation. May cause respiratory and digestive tract irritation. Causes skin irritation.

Target Organs: None.

They didn't give references so I won't

"Duke's database.... The bastard hasn't updated a single thing for years"

He hasnt worked for them for years, its not technically HIS site- its his former employers site. I do agree that they need to hire somebody to add new stuff though, it is gettin' a bit dusty in there.

Auxin- do you mean that linalool is not aromatic in the chemical sense? (this is what I meant by aromatic, not "smelly") I just assumed it was without looking up the structure.*blush* Interesting to see a non-toxic essential oil- might try it and post a write up.

quote:

The major constituent of the essential oil is linalool, which does affect some neurotransmitters.

Do you have a reference for it's pharmacology or subjective accounts of the effects?

[ 30. April 2003, 16:50: Message edited by: Tryptameanie ]

Correct, linalool is not aromatic in the chem sense ( structurally its the l form of 3,7-dimethyl-1,6-octadien-3-ol and its structure looks like... (CH3)2C:CHCH2CH2C(CH3)OHCH:CH2 )

Any new coriander bioassays?

Organizing my seed I found a packet from 2001 :lol:

tryed 8 drops of essential oil in capsule - didnt do a thing.

of course i will try 16 drops next time and on and on till i will get the effect.

i bought the oil made from all parts of the herb (seeds+leaf) - the seeds contains the most good things.

i will write it down when i'll get effects. - also the coriander herb is a great herb for cleaning the body from toxic metals! combine it with spirulina and u have the best cleansing combo!

the coriander good also for bad colesterol (ldl).

i know this is an old thread but i really want to know what happend with the coriander people

please

bumpty bumpty :)

thymol is known to be akin to propofol in regards to intoxication and is found in coriander...

at least some forms of it

it is certain to be active if enough of anything containing it is ingested...

Edited by Archaea