Sign in to follow this  
reshroomED

Eileen's rhubarb wine

3.5 lb rhubarb, finely chopped

3.5 lb sugar

1 large lemon, finely sliced

1 tbsp white vinegar

2 gallons water

Add to large boiler and let stand for ten days.

Strain well, bottle, and stand for 2 weeks.

I never liked this as a kid, but it seemed to go down well with most people, to the point where normal tea-totallers would often tell us of their 'weird' experiences with rhubarb-wine.

***There's an explosion-factor here, if bottled in glass. When I was about 15yo, one year something set off the rhubarb-wine. We had dozens of bottles in the spare room that exploded and put zillions of glass-shards .5" deep in plaster. It happened in the middle of the night, and I woke up thinking someone had shot a shotgun through the front glass doors. First thing the next morning we told the old bloke across the road about them (as he'd been given a few doz) and he'd had them under his bed.***

ed

Edited by reshroomED

That sounds supertasty! :drool2: Thanks for sharing, and for the warning.

I always knew wine was bad for your health...

Sounds great. :drool2:

To avoid explosions - which are caused by fermentation after bottling, thereby causing a buildup of CO2 - it's well worth investing in a gadget called a hydrometer. It measures the density of liquids and will allow you to determine when fermentation has ceased and it's safe to bottle. They're really handy for any home booze manufacture, as not only do you avoid explosive beverages, but you can also determine how alcoholic your brews are. :wink:

Failing that, I know Coopers sells non-fragmenting plastic bottles for homebrewing use.