The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
faustus

letters and customs inspections

from my research, approximately 150 million or so international letters enter australia and about 120 million or so are screened in some way. but how many are actually opened?

so hypothetically,

suppose an individual was hoping to import highly sensitive/embarrassing documents from overseas (e.g. photographs of their elephantine penis), and these documents, upon inspection by customs officials would clearly reveal to the observer their sensitive nature.

what would be the most discrete method for importing these documents? standard DL sized international airmail letter, or perhaps express post via a courier service? (the expedited nature of the courier service possibly preventing thorough screening of the letter?). i.e. once the envelope is opened, it would appear obvious to the official that the document is sensitive, yet the document would easily pass xray screening or detection dogs.

all hypothetical of course, i have nothing but admiration and respect for the hard-working men and women of customs.

feel free to PM me if you are knowledgeable of such matters!

From my experience, the smaller and thinner the item the less likely it is inspected. Standard business envelope with no more thickness than one or two A4 pages in it would probably be the safest. Using padded envelopes or sticking more than a couple mm thick documents into on envelope would also attract attention.

In 20 years of having very regular overseas mail I have only had one standard THIN letter opened. As soon as you get bank notes wrapped in 3 pages of paper and the rate goes up dramatically. Padded envelopes are about 30-40%, and larger boxes go up to 80%. All this only in relation to customs, not quarantine [ie plant materials increase rate].

Express also dramatically increases the rate cos drug and currency smugglers use this method a lot.

Im with T, from the few things one has gotten from overseas (all came A ok) they where all in small enveloped letters,even with addresses from "suspect" places

Peace

I don't want to sound sarcastic, but you know, there's this thing called the internet. Coupled with some decent encryption (see TrueCrypt) why even give Customs the chance? I mean, if it really just is documents.

Guest Øskorei
I don't want to sound sarcastic, but you know, there's this thing called the internet. Coupled with some decent encryption (see TrueCrypt) why even give Customs the chance? I mean, if it really just is documents.

Uh, I think the unspoken thing here with Twix's post is that there's a free pubic hair in every picture ordered.

Uh, I think the unspoken thing here with Twix's post is that there's a free pubic hair in every picture ordered.

no no no, just photos of my embarrassingly large cock

post-157-1204190229_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm, until recently I would have said no problem. However, recently I had some photos (of an exceptionally large penis) intercepted that were packaged in what i would consider an ideal fashion. It really has me fucked how this happened. You'd probably be OK but there is the "what recently happened to me despite all being cool before" factor to consider. Take the necessary precautions and even if the "what recently happened to me despite all being cool before" factor arises you can brush it off.

I think the unspoken thing here with Twix's post is that there's a free pubic hair in every picture ordered.

So he's ordering "Scratch & Sniff" pictures?

Maybe something printed on blotting paper???????

What a tool..

:rolleyes::huh::rolleyes:

So he's ordering "Scratch & Sniff" pictures?

Maybe something printed on blotting paper???????