The Corroboree
DayLight

Active Salvia Database

This is a list made by several edot members including myself. I realize there is already a psychoactive salvia list, but in my opinion this is a more informative and complete list. The list will always be changing, when someone finds a salvia they think is psychoactive, when someone unearths a research paper on a salvia species that states it has any kind of analgesic, anti-depressive, or any similar properties, pm me and I will add it to this list.

here is a link to a thread at edot in which i have collected research reports for various sally species. more will be added all the time. http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15713

and now for the list, enjoy!

Salvia aegyptiaca: Extracts have antinociceptive effects in animals

Salvia aethiopis: Aethiopinone isolated from roots has antinociceptive effects in animals

Salvia africana-lutea: Water extract has antinociceptive effects in animals

Salvia argentia: Reported to be similar in activity to Salvia splendens

Salvia coccinea: Smoking 1/2 gram of leaves was reported to be "calming".

Salvia divinorum: Active

Salvia dorrii: Reported to have been smoked by Native Americans and in particular the Ute Tribe for their mildly hallucinogenic effects. Also known as Tobacco Sage.

Salvia dorisiana: Leaves were described as "edible", suggestive oral inactivity.

Salvia elegans: Reported as orally inactive. Conflicting reports have been made at The Corroboree forum of oral and smoked activty. There has also been a study done in Chile reports anxiolytic- and antidepressant-like effects in rats from a hydroalcoholic extract.

Salvia greggii: Reported to be active

Salvia guaraniticia: Sedative and hypnotic due to its content of cirsiliol

Salvia haematodes: Sedative, possible antinociceptive effects in animals

Salvia hormium(now known as Salvia viridis): Leaves and seeds make liquor more inebriating, and powdered leaves make a good snuff

Salvia lavandulaefolie: Extracts inhibit acetylcholinesterase and improve memory and cognition.

Salvia leriifolia: Leaf extract sedative, hypnotic, relaxant and antinociceptive in animals.

Salvia leucantha: Smoking the leaves is reported to increase the length of dreams - unsigned_char72

Salvia longispicata x farinacea (Mystic Spires): Smoked leaves are reported to be speedy, analgesic and aphrodisiac.

Salvia melissodora: reported to be active

Salvia mexicana: no effects from quid of 2 leaves.

Salvia miltiorrhiza (dan shen): Roots and foliage are anxiolytic and sedative due to its content of miltirone. Seeds reported to have stimulant effects.

Salvia nemorosa: Leaves and flowers reported to be analgesic when smoked, and to produce vivid dreams in addition when taken orally. The roots were also reported to be active. The Caradonna variety (sometimes reported as its own species) was found active, and the May Night variety was reported to be weak, while the Superba variety seems to be intermediate. - zombiesoul

Salvia officinalis: Leaves mildly stimulating when eaten or smoked due to their content of thujone. Greatly intensifies/alters the effects of cannabis.

Salvia sclarea: essential oil is sedative and anticonvulsant

Salvia Spathacea: Leaves analgesic and sedative, extremely similar effect to S. nemorosa.

Salvia splendens: Leaves and flowers reported to be anxiolytic or mild intoxicant when smoked. Although a study by Daniel Siebert seemed to show these effects to be placebo, it seems that some varieties ('Bonfire', 'Blaze of fire') are active and others (the Sizzler series) are not.

Salvia transsylvanica: Reported to have significant analgesic, antipyretic, antiepileptic, antiinflammatory, antiulcerogenic, as well as tranquillizing activities.

Salvia tricolor: Possibly sedative

Edited by DayLight
  • Like 1

Salvia madrensis is one from the top of my head that is mentioned in an article that was is circulated on the net... i think authored by friendly, but don't quote me on that author.

I've heard it said that in addition to the activity of Salvia miltiorrhiza roots the leaves are also smokable as a mild sedative and a sedative potentiator and the seeds are allegedly stimulant. I cant confirm any of that yet but I do plan to grow it this year :)

The activity of both leaves and seeds of the plant are common knowledge to myself and the other authors of this list, I don't know why the original author didn't include that, and being such common knowledge i didnt even think to check for it, thank you for bringing that to my attention.

and XipeTotec, you are correct on the author of the article. it is on this site somewhere, im not sure where. it is linked to in my research paper collection i linked to on edot int the first post here. :)

however that list is a list of salvias containing Neo-Clerodane Diterpenoids, not necessarily psychoactive salvias. not all diterpines are psychoactives. only the good ones. B)

Edited by DayLight

Not sure if anyone has tried madrensis, but the original reason why it was assumed as an active species had nothing to do with activity. Sounds confusing? well, it was supposed to be.

A decade or so ago one of the main exporters of Salvia divinorum from mexico got sick of paying the high taxes mexico had put on this species. So he simply labelled all his bags as Salvia madrensis. Sometimes this labelling was carried through all the way to the retail shops and either some staff members or possibly customers who glimpsed the labelled bags then spread the information online that S.madrensis was just as good as Salvia divinorum. This created quite a bit of interest in the plant, dismissed by those who knew about the mislabelling, but carried on by those who didn't.

that is a very cool piece of info, tortsen, thank you.

list updated to add extra info on s mil and info on salvia spathacea.

i personally bioassayed this plant this morning and can confirm short acting, analgesic, sedative, and euphoric effects from smoking .3g of leaf. i cant tell the high apart from salvia nemorosa. perhaps they both contain nemorone?

I believe I may have been the source of the 'Salvia madrensis' cognomen used on S.d several years ago as the main importer (at that time) asked me what to do about this problem and that was the name I suggested.

S. madrensis was one of the two plants mentioned to me as the source/parent plants for the hybrid S.d., and we had some discussion around that, as I recall. S nemorosa was the other, I believe. Or was it Chia sage? Tarahumara black sage?

Memories...not what they used to be, sometimes.

It's not likely much of the information from my days at edot has been saved or archived at that site due to 'political differences', but several of those here may remember the great work we were doing way back in the early days.

A pity; I have no copy of my "Uncontrolled Substances" thread, a satire of drugs from the 60's that were no longer available for some reason or another. I consider it some of my finest work.

I have no copy of my "Uncontrolled Substances" thread, a satire of drugs from the 60's that were no longer available for some reason or another. I consider it some of my finest work.

LOL, that sound very interesting. Was it posted anywhere? Maybe one of those archive engines has captured it?

It was a thread on my forum in the glory days before the revolution, and it all got erased (not by me) in anger when I was deemed the cause of all evil in the world. Ah, those were the days.....Many things have evolved from that starting point. Especially the online entheo community, which is vital and healthy.

I tried several years ago to see if it was archived anywhere, but to no avail.

There is one person who might have them, but we don't communicate.

I remember a few of the 'substances', but certainly not as completely as originally writtten. The article was a few thousand words and mentioned half a dozen substances that no longer exist

There was 4Q2 (some of you may remember this one from various April Fool's days postings on edot) the hostility drug, made by biker gangs during the notorious biker wars of the 60's & early 70's. The stuff made you mean and want to fight. It became extinct because the only people who knew how to make it got killed off in the wars. I am forever indebted to Lenny Bruce for his invention of the term 4Q2, which he actually used as the name of a front company he created in order to dodge the IRS and not pay taxes.

The only othe one I can remember is Dammitol, the apathy drug, but I don't care much about it. :huh:

Begin semi-historical blather: My paper 'The Other Psychoactive Salvias' first published on the Lycaeum last century, and archived here on this site somewhere, I believe, lists 24 neo-clerodane diterpenoid contaning Salvia species from a chapter in an organic chemistry book entitled "Neo-clerodane diterpenoids in North American Salvia Species" as part of the article's content.

This paper came about in response to an authority on S.d. saying there were no other active Salvia species and he didn't even need try the ones I mentioned as active to know they didn't work.

He later conducted a 'double blind study' of these plants and similar placebos, and when the results were judged (guess who did the judging) 50% of those who tried the species I mentioned stated they were active, so the authority wrote the results off as placebo, although in real clinical trials placebo effect tops out around 30-35% and anything over 35% is considered efficacious. You can check this out for yourselves.

I dropped the arguement as it was going nowhere, but the very next year at an S.d conference sponsored by this authority, Jonathan Ott got up and delivered a talk called 'The Other Psychoactive Salvias' in which he stated that the 4 species I specifically mentioned in my paper of the same name, (and published one year earlier) were indeed active. After that, there was no more arguement from the authority. We actually became friends, sort of. At least we still communicate, occasionally. End semi-etc blather.

I heard the closest neo-clerodane diterpenoid with..er...I always forget what it has, but it has some chain or bond or something that salvinorin A has...is contained in Ajuga reptans.

Can anyone clarify if "Mystic Spires" is the same as "Indigo Spires"? There both apparently a longispicata/farinacea cross. If they are in fact different cultivars do they have the same activity?

Edited by Harry

Has anyone tried Salvia microphylla? My local Bunnings has a stack of them.

If nothing else you can use it as a spice and tea.

Link

i do not think its active but give it a go. with sages plant morphology will tell you alot of the time. low growing, leaves with compact veins. eventually you can tell which salvias will get you off by just looking at them - - - - - - - - -

I'll probably get one just for the flowers - great looking plant.

S. nemorosa "may nights" flowers made a good red tar that potentiated kratom and poddy tea

when smoked and/or ingested

have not trieed the "caradonna" cause it showed up with the flowers clipped off

also have some "marcus" that is really bushy with lots of flowers

may nights smells the strongest leafwise then caradonna then marcus

caradonna also has purple stems and leaf veins

maynights appears to have very broad leaves

as opposed to caradonna and marcus

have not trieed the "caradonna" cause it showed up with the flowers clipped off

Yeah, sorry about that...

:(

im just lucky to have 3 kinds

not a big deal about the flowers

theyll come back

:)

Yeah, sorry about that...

:(

S. nemorosa "may nights" flowers made a good red tar that potentiated kratom and poddy tea

when smoked and/or ingested

have you tried it alone?

Here is Salvia dorrii. The plants are very small, but look like they will flower this year!

Yippeeee!

post-873-1210988467_thumb.jpg

post-873-1210988494_thumb.jpg

Hey Daylight, this fits your criteria: low to the ground etc

daghestanica.jpg

Pity I have no idea where to get it, and I can't even tell if it's ID'd properly Found it on http://www.robinssalvias.com/gallery1.shtm

nope. leaves are fuzzy. my leaves are oval shaped, deep green to purple with purple-red stems. not fuzzy at all except for a slight fuzzy appearance on the underside, no fuzz felt though.

i do not think its active but give it a go. with sages plant morphology will tell you alot of the time. low growing, leaves with compact veins. eventually you can tell which salvias will get you off by just looking at them - - - - - - - - -

I was more thinking of this than any specific variety you are working on at them moment. Frivolous really, sorry.