The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fenris

The Hulk

wouldn't this be teh equivelant to putting a potatoe in the microwave? isn't it fairly similar in what it does to cells? i don't know much abut the subject, but seems like a fancy way to kill a cactus?

Microwaves are tuned to the bond length of water, so they heat up anything which contains moisture.

Gamma radiation is so high frequency that it will pass right through DNA, knocking electrons out on the way. The DNA repairs itself and especially with something like gamma the cells may not repair properly, possibly introducing mutations into the growing cells.

Too much radiation and a baby cactus could be sterilised, not enough and the DNA repair won't have any mutation. I think this is best done on a seedling as they are growing so quickly and mutations are more likely to be propogated.

I need to get my butt into gear and get some pedro seedlings on the go while the weather is still good.

thanks for the explanation! sound sinteresting! any idea what species you are going to try?

Bump....

So almost 8 years have passed, did anything come from these experiments ?

Hahaha, yeah bump too man. I know it is possible, google atomic garden

We just need to send some seeds into space for 6 years, like they did with those African violets.