The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Crossing Cacti

for what its worth, my "fricii" can pollinate my "koehresii" quite nicely, i am sowing/grafting right now. other than that i have not been able to cross my lophs with a few other types....only within the genus and only some.

i have not gotten pollen from diffusa, williamsii or koehresii to fertilize fricii, but fricii pollen has fertilized my koehresii (diffusa and williamsii have not) i have also been unable to get williamsii or diffusa to take other types pollen.

just my toying. i will be trying more as time goes on, but so far thats my result haha.

doubt your interested, but if its not a huge expensive thing i can take some tissue samples of my own mother plants if you want...they are all cultivated though and may be too "muddy" for your research? either way, the offer is on the table :)

i am still wondering, based on flower morphology and breeding attempts (my own), i am wondering if koehresii and fricii are more closely related to each other than to either williamsii or diffusa....what do you think?

From all of your posts I've read, that sounds like the case to me...

But I don't know much about Lophophora...

me neither, thats why i am asking trout or ms....they seem to have a fairly decent idea about Lophophora...if one *can* have a decent understanding on them lol.

i just play and try to make sense of it, they are the ones i try to get answers out of.....speaking of which, am i bugging you guys yet? :bootyshake::slap:

I wanna try to cross....

Lophophora williamsii with all of the following-

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele, Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus, Pelecyphora aselliformis, Strombocactus disciformis, Mammillaria sonorensis (M. craigii), Ariocarpus spp., Astrophytum asterias and Aztekium ritterii....

Do you think it's possible with all those?

I bet I'll have to attempt it to find out!

try and see....it is possible that even different populations of a given specie may be able to hybridize while other populations of same specie may not. Trucha has already stated that L. williamsii has both self-fertile and sterile, i don't think its much of a stretch to think it possible the same for hybridizing. just a guess.

personally, i have yet to have 1 single attempt at hybridizing outside of genus work. and inside the same genus only a few worked. such as various astrophytum and a lophophora.

also see here for an apparent ariocarpus x lophophora hybrid.

http://www.panarottocactus.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69

I bet I'll have to attempt it to find out!

Hey yeah! Now that's a novel idea...

Which Astros have you managed to X successfully kada? Be keen to read your take on it.

also see here for an apparent ariocarpus x lophophora hybrid.

http://www.panarottocactus.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=69

The cacti in those pics are almost certainly just dehydrated Lophophora williamsii. They certainly dont hold any ario characteristics IMO. Matter of fact I'd put money on them being dehydrated lophies.

I wanna try to cross... ... Do you think it's possible with all those? I bet I'll have to attempt it to find out!

Teotz, seriously. Get yourself some seeds, some cacti soil mix, some pereskiopsis, some razor blades and a watering can. Then put them all together in the appropriate order and try some of your 'ideas' yourself. Yep, we might already have access to some of the mature plants that you dont, but any cross breeding that we try will be shared with the community as soon as there is news to share. In the mean time, pull your own finger out and give it a try yourself. You can see it yourself - you are starting to rub people the wrong way between your threads of pushy questions and utter lazyness. Stop relying on others and make yourself sufficient. Believe me, there is a lot more reward to be had in that alone.

Get yourself some seeds, some cacti soil mix, some pereskiopsis, some razor blades and a watering can. Then put them all together in the appropriate order

:lol: I'm going to in Spring!

Which Astros have you managed to X successfully kada? Be keen to read your take on it.

asterias and capricorne seem to like each other. i am still fairly new to the genus and am more interested in pure strains so only play if there is only 1 of a given types flower... but i have tried asterias with myrio without success so for.

i have also seemingly gotten coahuilense and asterias to set seed (though i sowed them poorly and nothing is up yet...). a friend seems to have good luck with myrio x ornatum.

i will be toying with this more when i have a larger collection. my astro end of things is still under 30 breeding plants, many of which are only pairs or trios of the same "type".

i also just pollinated a koehresii with a williamsii "decepiens" to see if she likes him :innocent_n:

still no turbinicarpus flowers yet :(

• Like 1

i have succusfully fruited and sowed the seeds off an astrophytum asterias and myriostigma (i think!) not sure where they are now thought theyw ere grafted and my grafting tabe is a mess with out labels, bit they ddi succusfully grow! My myrostigma just seeded off what i think came form a myristigma nudum and the ornnatum hybrid corssted with i think was either the casspinoides or the myriostigma.

Edited by mark80

sweet! i got a nice little mess as well. there are certain areas where i dont do much to prevent pollination and i can't say for certain if ants pollinated something or not. but with the ones i label i take care to prevent insects from crossing my cacti. i will be trying an asterias and myrio soon as they look like a couple will flower at the same time.

but a LOT of astrophytum are hybridized to get new types. and there are also a LOT of different forms/cvs/varieties etc etc....but they are mostly easily crossed within their own species...although sometimes you get a new type that is sterile, or one sex is sterile, so i hear.

what i really want to try and get is a neat Ariocarpus x something. i would love a turbxario, but we shall see how that pans out.

i think what we REALLY need to be discussing is pollen storage between species....and process and viability.

A good read, thanks :)

This is a really cool tread!

Anybody got any pics of other interesting hybrids?

I got what I believe was a fricii x williamsii to take. or maybe it was the other way around. The seeds were highly viable, as were some attempted mamillaria cross willies.

How did the mamillaria crosses go?

Any pics?

I doubt they worked, I got seeds but dont think it was from the same flower or was self pollination.

ah, I see.

I now have two mature flowering Turbinicarpus pseudomacrocheles....

I would very much like to find a Lophophora to cross it with...

I attempted a cross, hope it works!

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele var. lausseri-

cactus038.jpg

Lophophora williamsii-

cactus007-1.jpg

Some Great Links on the Subject-

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Link 4

Link 5

Edited by Teotz'

Links!

Lophophora hybridization and Species info

Unlike that of L.Diffusa and its varieties, L.Williamsii has been successfully fertilized by Ariocarpus Fissuratus, L.Diffusa, Mammillaria Bocasana, M.Zeilmanniana, Strombcactus Disciformis, Turbinicarpus Pseudomacrochele, Astrophytum Asterias, and Epithelantha Micromeris.

I'm just not sure I believe some of the above... Epithelantha? Were are these hybrid plants?!

More Hybrids!

Leuchtenbergia Principis x Astrophytum Asterias

What??? For real???

Hybrids!

Edited by Teotz'