The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
worowa

Hunting grounds around Canberra

I know it's a bit early for some sp., but still keen to start sniffing around for edibles. Anyone willing to give me some tips on easy access, nice forests? This rain is promising...

I'm not much of a hunter but I really like the coak oak plantation off William Hovell drive. I'm pretty sure I found some dried up Trametes versicolor on a stump there a few weeks back. I planned to return after the next rain... which we have just had! there are always heaps of different types of fungi out there.

Also I know some locals like hunting around the pine forests on the outskirts of town.

the botanic gardens often has a lot of fungi too.

Cheers

Plenty of Lactarius deliciosus to be found in the hills behind Issacs (I think that's the suburb I'm trying to think of...) in Woden during autumn. Harry, one of his workmates and I took a walk up there last year and picked a shopping bag full of perfect specimens. They are everywhere in among pine plantations and are very easy to spot and identify.

Does anyone know if there are truffles around these parts? Unlikely? I would love to try one, but cant afford to do so via a shop... Waaayy too expensive, but could be a great market to exploit :)

I dropped in at the cork oak plantation on the way home from work and checked on the T versicolour - I think I got some good specimens - will transfer them to agar and see what happens.

there wasn't too much else about but some little puff ball things. no idea what they are.

Edited by watertrade

there wasn't too much else about but some little puff ball things. no idea what they are.

apparently most if not all puffballs are edible and quite yummy... but of course,

don't eat unless u know what it is for sure.

that doesn't include the geastrum or earthstars which is what you may be referring to.

i think its pertains to just the plan coloured, porous, ball-like puffballs.

i'm keen to try some this season along with some morels!

x

My fiance's mother was telling us that when she was young and they were trying to escape the war, whenever they had bacterial infections they'd search for puff balls to treat the infection by puffing the spores all over the affected area... Pretty cool, gave me a new appreciation for them.

Thanks for the leads, hopefully after tonights full moon the shrooms will be popping up.

I'm also looking for blackberry patches-hopefully near shrooming grounds. Blackberry wine :drool2:

The puffballs I've had have been a bit bland, but enjoyable, reminiscent of those little balls of cheese(can't remember the name), great with fresh basil, tomato, toast and olive oil.

Hey Guys,

I am doing a trip down to Bateman's this weekend. There seems to be a lot of rainforest down there as well as some pine forest on the way. Do you know of some good local fungi species that would be good to take photos of? :)

BB

looking for blackberry patches - Blackberry wine

Damn, that sounds nice!! I'd just be careful for poisoned bushes as they are a weed and are constantly getting sprayed. Signs should be posted if they have been, but always be careful with them just in case. I know there are always a few bushes around local streams/creeks. Perhaps try out at the Cotter, Tidbinbilla or Point Hutt Crossing for a start.

Do you know of some good local fungi species that would be good to take photos of?

Just name anything and I think you'll have a good chance of spotting one. I have seen earth-stars, puffballs, unknown LBMs (little brown mushrooms), shelf-fungi (growing off stumps), patches on sports fields, patches in scrub, thickets, bush, forest, pretty much anywhere that life can grow, there'll be a fungus of some sort if you look hard enough. Get a good ID book on Aussie fungi if you are keen to learn names and to see if they are edible/dangerous/hallucinogenic/luminescent/etc.