The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tonic

T. schwarzii flower

Got an nice suprise this morning when this little Turbinicarpus schwarzii was flowering. Here is a pic:

post-3332-1198061592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Got an nice suprise this morning when this little Turbinicarpus schwarzii was flowering. Here is a pic:

you'll have plenty of seeds soon, there great lil fellas arn't they? he's one of my favourites. My last one set 52 seeds.

you'll have plenty of seeds soon, there great lil fellas arn't they? he's one of my favourites. My last one set 52 seeds.

Yeah it's the only Turbinicarpus spp. I have so far, would like to get a few more, don't see them for sale that much really. they are pretty cool. Will those flowers pollinate themselves Mark? As I said I only have the one. Would love it if it produced seed for me.

Gorgeous!

I haddnt seen one of those before.

That was the first time I'd seen it too Andy, was pretty stoked.

Yeah mate there self fertile. The seeds even when fresh take a while to come up.

Nice! Will keep my eye out for a fruit then. Thanks for letting me know mate.

I find the best way is to wait for the flower to close then wait for the seed pod to die and split on its own as the spikes keep the seeds togther, then water the plant and pat the soil around the cactus down. drain it for 0.5 hour then tip her upside and wiggle the spines over a peice of paper. Watch the seeds roll out.

Wow, didnt know they were self fertile. Crosses i have tried but no success at all, all other crosses i have made so far this season have worked, gymnos, echinopsis, lophs and trichos, i just cant seem to get the lil turbinies to X.

here is my lil schwarzii this morning.

post-1464-1198120821_thumb.jpg

Img_0261.jpg

Img_0261.jpg

Will give it a go Mark.

Cool Passive, nice big flower on yours, hope mine gets that big. What is the width of that T. schwarchzii.

Bummer about not geting them to X. I know you can X T. lophophoroides with L. williamsii, would like to try that one day. Have heard you can X just Turbinicarpus spp. Never had any experience with it though. Now I have to find a T. lophophoroides and get one of my loph to flower. :wink: