The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
xShiva.spacetechnology

Whats Your Favourite Mud-Crab Recipes?

Hey guys,

ive been pulling in a few mud crab lately and have had tried a heap of different ways of cooking the taste little bastards, from; plain crab boiled in salt water, chili crab, garlic and butter crab, my own experiemental cajun/creole style crab soup, lemon crab, lemongrass crab, lime crab, lime and chili crab, and baked crab of all different sorts. So im just wondering if anyone wants to contribute their recipes for crab on here, or just name your favourite crab dish?

I will get around to putting some recipes up in the near future if anyone seems interested.

Cheers, and happy hunting :worship: <almost looks like a crab :shroomer:

xShiva

We used to get bulk muddies up around TI, massive great things that would roam the kitchen lookinng to sever a leg, claws the size of ....dissolves into drool.... course they're much easier to catch with a 22 and some ratshot in the mangroves at low tide than it is to bugger about with pots or (horrified expression) PAY for them. I was 12 before I realised some people actually eat crab guts, rather than just declawing em and using the rest as shark bait. Then again all seafood around here by comparison with up there smells like its half rancid and stored in a public toilet, not so much oceanic as orificic somehow. I won't get started on 30 kilo bricks of snap frozen tiger prawns for 20 bucks off the side of a trawler either!

Boiled in seawater is great, as are all the options you covered. Don't think you had satay muddie kebabs with barbecued pineapple and capsicum bits,or namous crab...chuck a heap of chilli, salt, lime into white vinegar, marinate crab in it overnight in the fridge... chemically cooked the next day, fantastic with ice cold beer. Or mince crabmeat and mix with potato or cous cous and fry in hot hot oil (pauses to wipe drool). Or hot and sour crab, chilli lemongrass and galangal etc. Crab and sweet potato cooked low and slow in real coconut milk and cream (not the canned crap, crack a fresh nut and scrape it out with a sharp clean machete, then do the kava routine on it in the bare minimum of water til its nice and thick) serves on plain rice with soy is great. Or pick up a bunch of those lil rice paper sheets for dim sum and spring rolls and get busy rolling... problem is what I call the sushi principle... some of you may know it as the Pancake Principle... that is the phenomena whereby no matter how organised u get and how fast you cook, they disappear as soon as they are ready, or even quicker sometimes.

Bastards everywhere today :P

VM

Wish I could eat a Mud-Crab.

All I got is the Chinese mitten crab.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...ittencrabs.html

Rainbow, the museum's keeper of zoology, said: "The Chinese love them, especially when they're full of gonads during the breeding season. The carapace of a large one measures eight centimeters (about three inches) across—that's a decent-sized meal."

Only for the Egg producing part.

'Like the bay's beloved blue crab, the mitten crab -- a native of China and the Korean Peninsula named for the furry growths on its pincers -- eats small worms and juvenile shellfish. It prefers habitat similar to native crabs', and under the right conditions can breed furiously.'

They live in the fresh water rivers and move to the sea by currents to breed.

Eat the rich nutrient gonads before the production of at least 20 million young.

Chinese have alot of experience.

A crab boil is pretty much like a poultry spice.

Garlic butter with side of fresh lemon would so good I would bloat up to 300 pounds before I could stop myself.

And the tomato sauce and horseradish for raw seafood is always popular.

In the U.S there is no cheap seafood everything is imported.

YUMO devance!!!!

sounds alot better than the way we used to cook them, i.e alive and in saltwater.

putting them in the freezer sounds quite ethical...they go to sleep they say, id like to see how much scientific research has gone into this, or if its justto lighten the load on a sensitive persons conciencewho likes to eat crabs!!!

i mean gradually getting chilled cant be a pleasantexperience.

i believe there are methods where u can pierce their brain for an instantaneous death before being subjected to the boiling process.

theres not much i wouldnt do for devances garlic crab right now, im drooling thanks very much devance.

will u adopt me?

The boil would kill a crab instantly.

The not enough spices that can flavor a crab even in a boil.

A live crab, oyster or clam must need to be held overnight with a bit of flour in seawater.

Gets rid of the sand and grit as a micro food source, like a coca cola sugar drink for them

'blood on the halfshell' is a biography book about a oyster farmer that got panicked about his oysters turned red from nearby a fish net holding. The oysters filtered out the fish blood cells.

A rare biography from oregon by a oyster farmer.

One that had his problems.

if there was a sab tour to go crab hunting with devance, id save up and go for sure.

these recipies just make me salivate, only hadthe pleasure of eating fresh mudcrab twice, and they were simply boiled in salty water. i want crabs!!!!! fresh crabs.