The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Planting Acacia for R.E.G.E.N

Interested in the idea of planting out lots of tubestock for this event:

http://www.regen.org.au/index.php?page=r-e...esents-goal-gil

Any idea of possible problems with planting out maidenii/obtus/acuminata in the Southern Highlands of NSW?

Do I have enough time to germinate tubestock for planting out?

Does anyone have any seed they'd like to donate to the cause?! (please PM me) :P

I strongly urge you against planting Acacia acuminata in the bushland in the state of NSW. This Acacia is an endemic species to Western Australia ONLY and could cause severe weed problems if planted into bushland outside it's native habitat. A couple of WA Acacia spp. have become terrible weed species in the sydney region., namely A. saligna in the Warringah Shire. They were planted in the 1970's and the councils etc. still haven't found a way to get rid of them properly. Am pretty sure A. saligna is now declared noxious throughout NSW. You have to be really careful planting out into the bush.

The A. obtusifolia shouldn't be an issue as it does grow down south. [N.S.W., Qld, Vic.]

"A. maidenii Occurs in Qld, N.S.W. and Vic. E of 148E, in coastal and subcoastal environments, from Proserpine in the north to Orbost in the south. Grows usually in more fertile soils, sometimes derived from basalt, often on the edges of littoral rainforest. Flowers mostly Jan/June"

I suggest you do some further research before planting out plants into the bush.

Hope that helps.

--Conservation is the Key--

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Thought I might add, I have Acacia seeds I could donate of NSW species, though I would suggest finding out if they grow in the area receiving revegatation first and foremost.

I have A. decurrens, A. falcata & A. floribunda

Personally don't think you could get decent plantable sized tube stock by the 15th, but hey it might be worth a shot.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

Right on PD.

Regen means exactly that, regenerating the endemic plants

At EGA, Jeremy (one of the speakers) mentioned that there was one acuminata subspecies that was found in west NSW.

Interested in floribunda seed PhosDream.

The whole reason I asked was to make sure I wasn't going to plant anything where it wasn't supposed to be :)

Not familiar with that subspecies from west NSW apoth, now you have piqued my interest and will do some research. See what I can find out about it.

How many A. floribunda seeds were you after mate? Have atleast 30 seeds you can have. Shoot me a PM if you want them.