The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
phloom

New Sun Control Species

Samples I heard on saikosounds didn't grab me - sounded like pretty typical and non-colorful progressive psy...

I liked the sound of the Ace Ventura album better by the samples....

Samples can be misleading though I guess...

SCS's debut is a pretty quality album. Have a listen to a couple of tracks in their entirety and youll see its not exactly run of the mill prog Nitrogen- the production is pretty tasty. I really enjoy Ace's debut though (Rebirth) there are some banging addictive tracks on it- heaven for prog djs looking to get the floor moving.

As far as Aussie progressive goes though, Shadow Fx's Direct Influence is album of the year in the prog vein for me for sure. Bang on the aussie tryptamine dreaming pulse with serious replay value, I can happily listen it through start to finish 6 months after getting it which is totally unlike me. Only other prog albums that did this to me are years back now, Atmos's Headcleaner and Vibra's Lime Structure.

Def give it a listen if you haven't already

sounded like pretty typical and non-colorful progressive psy

well theres the evidence that samples dont cut the mustard.

Hearing it live probably has affected my opinion tho =D

But listen to the whole album through and then tell me what you think. Of the Aussie psyprog I would say this is a new benchmark.

Very subtle, different and deep.

Hearing it live probably has affected my opinion tho =D

No doubt :devil: Livesets are where SCS really shines for me. The outdoor sets ive seen him play over the last 6-9 months have been much more layered and slick than anything I'd seen him pull out of the hat previously. Kick Me Shake Me, Coma Roamer and Pedestrian get the floor firing all cylinders with no exceptions. Tristan Boyle's debut should be coming out in the next 6 months or so on Zenon from what I've heard, I reckon it will be the most unique Australian progressive in years. That man's live (NOT dj) is incredible on a rig that does details to his eclectic intricacies. Future of aussie prog is getting brighter all the time.

It's not that new anymore :P

fully, will have to check out Ace Ventura. Theres a new zenon comp coming out soon as well as Tristan's debut, anything on Zenon is pretty quality IMO.

SCS's set was after Neuron Compost (Gi'iwa) at Quatum relic at about midday, those two provided the cleanest few hours of tunes ive heard and the location waz immaculate. If you've got an oztrance login check out the photos. Ive been going to parties for a few years, an I reckon you cant beat aussie daytime prog!

Pondscums nighttime is alien psybermusic for sure, check out oddish (on soulseek? i think its an internet only release). Im not promoting pirating music, so buy it if you can :unsure:

forgot to add; SCS used surround speakers ie 2 at the back. Striaght tunes coming out the front, the two rear ones had this random spluttery bongo mindgames happening :wacko: , as youve move around the dancefloor the sound changes! Its a new one for me....really cool to say the least.

i was gone before the prog kicked in, but from what i experienced of the surround, it was... annoying?

i'm not sure what they were trying to do, but i wonder if it went as planned or if the idea needs polishing.

i remember hearing only human at quantum relic in the morn as the sun was coming up, i had a really difficult evening the night before, and this brought a tear to my eye and signalled the dawn of a new realisation :) truly beautiful, if you get the chance see them live. the other time i saw scs live was at earthfreq and that was the most powerful experience of proper energy on the dancefloor ever, that slow warp sound hit me in the top of the head and literally felt like touching an electric fence!

Not so much a new album but its pretty good. Nothing beats Drew live in the bush though....