The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Australian Capsicum

I posted this elsewhere but some people just dont go into bushfoods I guess.

Im looking for AUSTRALIAN VARIETIES of Capsicum sp. Do you know of any? If so, where would I find the seeds? I want to breed a hybrid that represents every continent on earth (except Antarctica of course), so far I have ones from Africa, Europe, and the Americas. Asia will be easy, but i've never heard of Australian ones. Y'all grow 36,000 tons of commercial peppers, so surely a new 'Australian' variety has popped up by now. Any info will be helpful. Red ones are best (more vitamin A & C).

I want to rejoin all races of hot peppers, a truly globalized pepper for a globalized world. Peppers of the world unite and revel in a glorious future of mouth burning, brain melting pepperdom, free yourself from the confines of racial pepper preferance and move into a new millenium of pepper equality and cooperation. If your master is forcing you to breed with your own kind against your will, jump in the mail and come to the USA- Land Of The Free, And Home Of Pepper Equality. Once peppers unite the world may follow, long live the pepper revolution!

smile.gif Thanks smile.gif

You should be able to get an Antarctic pepper.

I'll have a look for the site, but what better to stave off months of winter than a loooooong chilli season.

So it's aussie cultivars your after?

My chillibitch,

This must be the only plant that's common name gives me the shits.

Peppers, capsicums, chilies, chili peppers etc.

The only hot pepper I've grown was beyond anything I've ever seen or heard of (that's not saying a great deal wink.gif

I think it was an orange Habanero chili pepper(?) (sourced from the supermarket) and it may have crossed with a jalapeno(?) pepper.

I believe habanero come in 'bio-weapons grade'.

I love hot peppers, but this was Guatemalan insanity type shit.

When I tasted it I was cooking for six others.

(chili, m'room suprise'n'pasta)

I'd finished chopping the ingredients and gave my hands a near thorough rinse).

For no known reason my hand/s came in contact with my mouth.

The pain began at the seams (outer, middle edges) of my mouth.

At first a tingle, within 60sec an intense burning.

After two minutes the entire outer edge (& inwards) felt like I could I could chew and blow glass.

Try as I did, I'm pretty much certain that only the most sadistic & (synonym here) of people could have enjoyed this sensation.

There was a re-assuring point however.

Two of my piers who had watched my reaction to the pepper-cide, thought a macho approach was a way to prove something.

Ooops, they must have misjudged how much of a chili pussy I am.

Both of my protégés were at least 20kg heavier than I, they lasted about 60sec longer than I (doing them no justice at all).

As well as suffering for longer initially, they also insisted that milk or yogurt was ineffective compared to water.

Ultimately, they showed signs of intense pain, anxiety and moments of panic.

Does anyone have any new information about chilies and endorphin release?

Is it really as simple as the nerves responding as if being scolded and thus releasing endorphins.

Beware chili addicts!

"I believe habanero come in 'bio-weapons grade'"- Adrian

I dont know about biologial weapons, but it makes for one hell of a chemical weapon. One time I made chili sauce that was from 20 to 40 times the strength of Law Enforcenent grade pepperspray, Mmmmmmm. For some reason no one else would eat it though (more for me smile.gif)

Normal Habs range from 80,000 to 200,000 SHU.

Red Savina is reported to get around 570,000 SHU.

My hottest hot sauce gets to around 2,000,000+ when I prepare it in my chem lab.

"Does anyone have any new information about chilies and endorphin release?"- Adrian

Sounds like you want the Fatalii pepper from the Central African Republic. I grow that beast, its reported to be 100,000-300,000 SHU but it doesn't work quite like the normal ones. When I eat it I dont feel the hot at first, in the first second or two my skin flushes, my scalp starts sweating, and theres this warm fuzzy euphoric melting sensation in my brain that takes 15-20 minutes to fade away. THEN, in second 2 or 3, THE HEAT HITS. Its like being plunged into those burning lakes of sulfur the christians obsess over. I love it, if thats your hell I should become a sinner. Muggers can have my money, but they have to fight for my Fatalii.

[This message has been edited by Auxin (edited 25 May 2002).]

The hotest chilli is the fire cracker chilli on a football show here in australia the hosts had a small bite of one of these and went aboslute red and drinking down water and milk. They got 2 guys from the audience and had a competition of eating chilli peppers they had 3 fire crackers and 2 other chills and the two guys ate all of them.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s341324.htmChilli - Nuclear Food 1

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s341415.htmChilli - Nuclear Food 2

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s341437.htmChilli - Nuclear Food 3

That is maybe what you are looking for Adrian, or at least may seem interesting to you. It's all by Dr. Karl Kruszelniscki or however it's spelt, that dude of JJJ.

I once smoked chilli. I thought it would give the endorphin rush without the burn. It felt REALLY strange. the smoke gave a really cold sensation in my lungs. Then my lips started burning like shit so I decided to stop. It was 'purple tiger' chilli I think.