The Corroboree
watertrade

plants for home defence

Make a huge botanical fence.

Dig a ditch and plant an Opuntia which produces heavy glochids every 3-5 feet or so. Then just behind the outer ditch, put a large wooden or metal fence covered (from the inside) with Cane-berries (as someone else suggested) such as raspberries or blackberries.

The will form an impenetrable wall within a few years which no animal or human will be able to pass through.

i've thought about this for my dream property and i don't like the idea of maiming animals as they attempt to go about their business. once found a sugar glider tangled in barb wire and it was very sad.

Make a huge botanical fence.

..Opuntia ... Cane-berries

The will form an impenetrable wall within a few years which no animal or human will be able to pass through.

The botanical fence idea is what I'm after, but those species are environmental weeds here.

i've thought about this for my dream property and i don't like the idea of maiming animals as they attempt to go about their business. once found a sugar glider tangled in barb wire and it was very sad.

Yeah, that's a consideration - dead native animals aren't what I want decorating my boundary. And I don't want my pets getting hurt either.

I'm gonna plant a few kinds of non-clumping bamboo - but that stuff is pricey.

I've thought about a pedro fence but I think that would be a bit high profile for queensland.

Bougainvillea would be the shot up in QLD, don't know how well it would do in Canberra though. As a kid i had to prune the Bougainvillea and would run over it with the mower to getr rid of it - those spikes sometimes went straight through the soles of my thongs and right into my feet. stupid Japanese safety boots.

There was a little fern-like creeper that grew around here, little purple berries and nasty hooks. It only grew in the cool areas, never knew it's name, but it was supposedly a pest and poisonous (as well as painful) but i thought it was quite nice.

You could try a climbing rose garden...

The botanical fence idea is what I'm after, but those species are environmental weeds here.

That is the idea, they grow like weeds and make a big thick fence!

Whole fence of peru's will do the job just plant them near the fence line and they will keep your property safe, farkin huge spines that will inflict damage on anyone who dares to enter, I would just plant cactus along the fence line everything in your collection chuck it in the ground and watch them connect with the mother earth and protect your valuables. Thats what I am gonna do when I get my own place! :slap: to anyone who tries to dare enter my sanctuary without permission :)

Whole fence of peru's will do the job just plant them near the fence line and they will keep your property safe, farkin huge spines that will inflict damage on anyone who dares to enter, I would just plant cactus along the fence line everything in your collection chuck it in the ground and watch them connect with the mother earth and protect your valuables. Thats what I am gonna do when I get my own place! :slap: to anyone who tries to dare enter my sanctuary without permission :)

c'on guy's let's be realistic, a fence of peruvianus will attract a lot of (unwanted) attention and to chop down a pedro is very easy aswell. so in fact you create the opposite of what you want, which would be formost not to get noticed.

Mimosa hostilis would do a good guardian for the garden...but it may be weedy in Australia

tree sloth's climate says coastal sub-tropical, so there is probably a good amount of rainfall and available water.

i'm partial to the bamboo fence, seriously, maybe with some spikeys behind it. that way, not even an out-of-control humvee careening into your yard is gonna bother you.

perhaps you could also put some dangerous spiders in some of your fence plants too?

:lol:

"What about dogs with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you?"

Alligators? Moat full of snakes?

Edited by Teotz'

How about Cockspur Thorn (Maclura cochinchinensis) - a very thorny native vine in the Fig Family (Moraceae)

c'on guy's let's be realistic, a fence of peruvianus will attract a lot of (unwanted) attention and to chop down a pedro is very easy aswell. so in fact you create the opposite of what you want, which would be formost not to get noticed.

Keep cutting the perus down once they reach the fence line then only people who look over or jump over the fence will see the cacti!

Always a way around it, but if they jump your fence without looking there funked! :rolleyes:

Giant Hogweed, Heracleum mantegazziani, would probably make an effective barrier. I wouldn't recommend actuually growing it though. Would work though. NOTE - Please don't actually grow this one. The cow eating tree and the other posts just reminded me of that old Genesis song so I thought I would add this.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Hogweed

Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as in burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars, which can last several years. Hospitalisation may become necessary.[1] Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness. These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers, and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins. In Germany, where this plant has become a real nuisance, there were about 16,000 victims in 2003 [reference needed].

Children should be kept away from Giant Hogweed, and protective clothing (including eye protection) should be worn when handling it or digging it. If skin is exposed, the affected area should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and the exposed skin protected from the sun for several

And, of course, from Genesis

The Return of The Giant Hogweed

Turn and run!

Nothing can stop them,

Around every river and canal their power is growing.

Stamp them out!

We must destroy them,

They infiltrate each city with their thick dark warning odour.

They are invincible,

They seem immune to all our herbicidal battering.

Long ago in the russian hills,

A victorian explorer found the regal hogweed by a marsh,

He captured it and brought it home.

Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge.

Royal beast did not forget.

He came home to london,

And made a present of the hogweed to the royal gardens at kew.

Waste no time!

They are approaching.

Hurry now, we must protect ourselves and find some shelter

Strike by night!

They are defenceless.

They all need the sun to photosensitize their venom.

Still theyre invincible,

Still theyre immune to all our herbicidal battering.

Fashionable country gentlemen had some cultivated wild gardens,

In which they innocently planted the giant hogweed throughout the land.

Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge.

Royal beast did not forget.

Soon they escaped, spreading their seed,

Preparing for an onslaught, threatening the human race.

The dance of the giant hogweed

Mighty hogweed is avenged.

Human bodies soon will know our anger.

Kill them with your hogweed hairs

Heracleum mantegazziani

Giant hogweed lives

Edited by MrPotato

:lol:

"What about dogs with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you?"

Bahahahaha that's classic...

how bout a heavily manicured Lantana hedge...I dare anyone to push through that stuff.

wear work clothes with gloves and lantana wouldn't be an obstacle. throw in a machete and it'd be a fun game.

that giant hogweed sounds like it's difficult to control and very dangerous, i wouldn't consider using it.

Edited by lsdreamz

I'm back again after 4 months offline 'cos fucking telstra wholsesale wouldn't connect any isp to my new house except those bigponds cunts.

Given that my goal is to have a nice little ethno island, here's how things have ended up:

Front boundary - Grevilleas & more Grevilleas - planted by the previous owner - 100% screening, but not an obstacle to anyone who wants to get through.

120 metre fenceline againsts the neighbours - All my trichs endded up here. The neigbours are dumb cunts and will never recognise them. They are your typical redneck nature hating farmers, who built a 6 foot cyclone fence "to keep the bloody 'roos out".

Fenceline against the vacant block on the other side - previous owners planted lilly pillies - they make a pretty good privacy screen, but again they aren't a physical obstacle.

Other boundaries are against a fire trail that is popular with the local horse riders. Planting spiky/unfriendly shit here seems like a bad idea, so I have planted all my (previously potted) fruit trees along there.

In summary, an agressive boundary is a nice dream , but in practical terms it's better to present a respectable face to the outside world

This has to be the nastiest plant in my collection , spines break off & stay in you seem to have a invisible barb or microscopic outer coat, ridges ? that make them easy to go in but bastards to come back out

im sure strategic companion planting to protect other plants is the way to go rather than surround yourself with organic razor wire

th_DSCF0005-1.jpg

6a00d83451d22169e2011168f7c48e970c-.jpg

dr-evil.jpg

untitled.jpg

NFAuzisuppresed.jpg

just in case the maniacs get past the plants ,the sharks with fricken laser beams moat and the landmines (check your local laws)

Or you could just be flatmates with this guy and his monobrow........then again that might be bad idea

wtf_gun-collection.jpg

Aw gawd,the republican posters are back.

I would plant quickthorn,alternate between different colored flowered varieties for your hedge.

Intruders are kept out and sparrows are encouraged in.

Aw gawd,the republican posters are back.

Don't look at me.I'm a Democrat. Buck Fush and the religious right!

peopel here use dragon fruit along many farms, usually betel nut. they may nto have long spines, but that may be better. cant climb em cause theyre spines are rock hard, althoguh short, but draw lots of blood! grow fast, not unattractive and you get nice fruit...