The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripp'n

When to sow poppy?.

Hi all,

When would be the best time to sow my poppy seed?. I know they don't really like to be transplanted, So i'll sow in their permenent position.

If i was worried about cross pollination, What would be a safe distance between varieties?(if any).

Thanks.

May 1, to avoid damping off in the soil -unless you live south of about Coffs, in which case it might be a couple of weeks earlier

I plant poppy seeds into seedling trays first and then transplant.

Sure enuff a fair few of them dont take to it and die, but I find you get so many seedlings when you sow poppies it doesnt matter.

The amount that die when transplanted and need to be replaced is probably less than you have to pull up anyway when your thinning out.

I have NEVER been able to germinate a poppy seed in a tray. When I throw them out then they usually come up the next season. Most people I know just dump them in a corner of the garden somewhere on exposed soil.

I've never been able to germinate poppies in trays with much success either. A couple came up once, but the rest didn't bother.

Might be a climate thing up here?

I do All my poppy germination in trays.

I planted some bread seeds first to see if the time was right, and cool, every single seed germinated... I have 2 trays with probably hundreds of poppy plants bought the seeds a year ago at a supermarket as reduced price item...they sat on the frigde all the time, not even sealed.. a pretty pissy strain with small flowers....

Right now I'm germinating my own best seeds from last year, darcy's strain, e.d.s strain, and persian whites and turkish commercials...all in trays...but it's true, they do better if not transplanted, grow bigger...but it's definitely possible...try peat moss and misting 3 times a day....