The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reville

Anadenanthera viability update

Guest reville

After several failures in the past i have struck success with these little ones

I used a bag of sandy 'cutting mix' very similar to whats been described as coarse sharp sand. Bought from bunnings at a price of around $2.20 a bag.

I used seedling punnets bought fresh and clean also from bunnings and about the same price.

I took the sand as is - no added misture as it was sufficiently damp, and planted one A colubrina seed in each cell on an angle

I then placed three to a bag in zip lock bags and placed on top of a fluorescent light casing (Fish tank light or Cloning lights r perfect) in place of a heat mat

Germination started the next morning!

By that night i had about 6 of 48 cells showing signs.

The next day i saw the first signs of fungus in a few cells

5 days later and i have 30 out of 48 growing as healthy little seedlings. I should have had 2 more but the look deformed.

This is about 1/2 the bag so i look forward to germinating the rest asap

A few comments on the setup

Soil was kept fairly dry using only the moisture in the sandy mix as it was bought.

Temp was kept up for the entire time until the leaves had emerged properly I think this was what allowed them just enough time to beat the fungus.

The seedlings are kept under 24h fluoros to help them muster strength as the leaves continue to develop.

As the shots emerged i took them out of the bags and put into a large tub under the fluoros with the clear lid ajar.

I gave them a little water with a spary bottle to compensate for that lost and used in germination.

Any way 75% viability still (32/48)so get into them quick before it drops further.

What ive read sounds like they can tolerate a light frost if kept dry in winter i guess so they arent just a tropical plant.

Most of what ive said Torsten has already said, but i thought id give independant verification of how good this seed still is.

Ive now gently teased the oneds with taproots emerging from out the bottom of the punnets into pots with a good quality potting mix on the bottom cased with the same cutting mix on top for drainage.

Ive taken photos to be developed.

keeping colubrina dry is the way!

the roots are virgorous so early planting

out(in situ) is good i guess.

on the top of hills, for best drainage.

they can die fast with tropical moisture (even semitropical rainshowers) many people writte that at night

they fold there leaves and sleep smile.gif true but

if stressed they fold up aswell to conserve

water. i mean, let them have siesta, instead

of watering. wink.gif after all

i wonder if my hotwater treatment(30 sec) was good indeed

for killing some fungi, white king ( few drops) beeing an

alternative?

Guest reville

today i planted the other 32 seeds. same conditions (just to see how repeatable the experiment is)

out of 60 seeds..... 80% in 4 days and 93% in 6 days.

hhhmm mine are now 14 ft tall,have a woody trunk of about 2-3 inches,and are getting their first fruits......

then i woke up!!

Guest reville

Even if they never fruit in perth, if they can at least grow then maybe the leaf, twigs or rootbark will be of use?