The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Astronomy Domine

Quinine effects

Anyone know what the effects of Quinine (Indian Tonic Water) are when added with Alcohol or other substances?

A quick search on google showed that Quinine originated from the cinchona tree which is found in the Andes mountain range of Ecuador and Peru.

Hope you are all enjoying a long weekend, There needs to be more.

Cheers

AD

would adding a pleasant bitterness to gin be classed as an effect?

I found no reference to alcohol + quinine but I do know that larger amounts of quinine by it self cause cinchonism and some people are more sensitive to it than others. So if alcohol does react it could intensify or alter that effect. The general effects of cinchonism being ringing in the ears, heavy-headedness, and maby some obstruction of hearing. In even greater doses it can cause extreme headache, deafness, and partial blindness. After toxic doses these effects may take some time to fully wear off. Permanent deafness is rare.

There are a lot more problems with it, especially long-term use. It can alter adrenaline production causing obesity, for example.

Thanks guys,

This explains alot.

Seems that my long term G + T addiction has contributed to the constant tinnitus, heavy-headedness (or hangovers ?) and my Jabba the Hut appearance. wink.gif