The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Pollen Storage

Does anyone have information on the storage of pollen samples?

Specifically I want to prepare samples of experimental Capsicum and corn pollen for long-term storage.

I figured I would desiccate them over SiO2 or CaSO4 at 20 C, then store 'em at 5 C in the dark with a MgSO4 desiccant capsule to keep 'em dry.

Any idea about shelf-life or better procedures? Can dessicated pollen be stored at -15 C and stay viable?

Pollen must remain viable for AT LEAST four months, preferably one year or MORE.

Will controlled rehydration be required before use? (Constant 81% humidity is cheap and easy, others can be done too though.)

Items such as P2O5, vacuum desiccators, and cryogenic equiptment are not an option, I wish they were (Donations welcome).

smile.gif Thanks in advance smile.gif

There was a thread about pollen storage on the plantTC archives

http://www.agro.agri.umn.edu/plant-tc/list...v/ptcsearch.htm

It can be a bit of a pain to search, but as both it and the list is run by a volunteer and its such a valuable facility there's no real grounds for complaint smile.gif

From memory the discussion focussed on pome fruit pollen rather than on annuals but it was a long thread and covered a bit of ground. I thought I'd stored it on my hard drive but can't find it at a glance

There is also a wealth of info out there on Cannabis pollen storage, as an annual ( or biennial in some instances ) which might be of assistance. Those protocols described were undertaken in domestic situations with minimal equipment and might be more suitable for your circumstances.

Can you do at least a ref search on infotrieve or something, even if you can't source the funds for the document itself? There's *bound* to be something on corn, surely.

But your protocol sounds correct, according to my recollection of the discussion. Dehydration and storage in a moisture free environment should be sufficient, controlled rehydration shouldn't be necessary- but don't quote me too closely, I haven't tried this at home smile.gif

Thanks Darklight, that's exactly what I was looking for. I can now breed 'bush corn' and new varieties of deadly hot peppers more effectively smile.gif

Mmmmm, central african-peruvian pepper hybrids- I can't wait! Just thinking about it makes my mouth burn and my brain sweat.

smile.gif Peace and long life to you and your kin smile.gif

I know what you're up to Auxin my old mate, you're trying to breed peppercorn wink.gif