The Corroboree
Guest reville

Petalostylis sp.

Guest reville

I am interested if anyone knows of the use of these plants as worthwhile sources of DMT or as anahuasca additives.I know they contain it - but has it been used?

Petalostylis labichioides

Petalostylis cassioides

snap,i asked the same question a few days ago and have received no reply.

t s t .

it's obviously time someone tried it wink.gif

Guest reville

well i know one person who has one.

you know who you are....

if you're talking about me, then sorry, but my plant lost it's ID tag last year and is mixed up with a few other related species with the same problem. I am pretty sure which one it is, but not keen on trying it. I've also got some seed here which I could grow anytime in case there is no one else.

• Haha 1

Guest reville

Ive got seed too and access to more of both species in the genus.

Its not you T though i thought you might.

No this person is a little closer to home

I havent seen them much maybe theyre lurking.

my plants just over 6inches tall now flowering,dont want to butcher them at the moment.have accumilated pipeful of bits,will smoke soon and report.

very distinctive plant,should be used more as an ornamental,with its orange flowers with red and yellow 'eye'.

where does it occur ,flinders ranges?

t s t.

my plants just over 6inches tall now flowering,dont want to butcher them at the moment.have accumilated pipeful of bits,will smoke soon and report.

very distinctive plant,should be used more as an ornamental,with its orange flowers with red and yellow 'eye'.

where does it occur ,flinders ranges?

t s t.

so i know it was 7 years ago but did anything come of it? still a mysterious plant!

small scale testing indicated it was worth more work but i guess its proving difficult to grow.

t s t .

small scale testing indicated it was worth more work but i guess its proving difficult to grow.

t s t .

Petalostylis cassioides ( butterfly Bush)

from what i've found on this plant seems to prefer much hotter areas its actiually a recommended garden plant for those living in Alice Springs , N.T areas maybe growth in colder areas could be achieved through controlled condition i.e indoor growing or glasss house type setup I can certainlyy try it in a glasshouse if anyone has some seeds to spare

P. labicheoides var. labichioides

is apparently found in North eastern NSW so I imagine it would grow quite well in climates similar to A. Nervosa better but may be slightly more viable in other areas

Ive got seed too and access to more of both species in the genus.

Its not you T though i thought you might.

No this person is a little closer to home

I havent seen them much maybe theyre lurking.

Lol, ive been trying to get in contact with him myself Rev, i will let ya know when i do. :wink:

Some more discussion? Seems like a little studied example.

I recently germinated a handful of labicheoides in soil, they germinated fine but as they broke the soil surface, they lost their cotyledons and quickly died. I then tried a second handful, this time I germinated in paper towel then placed them in soil with success. Slow starters but seem happy enough now. Also seems it will have to be a tubbed, indoor winter specimen in my region...

Note: While germinating in paper towel, they gave-off a very strong...scent.

www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=CH9660893.pdf

ALKALOIDS OF THE AUSTRALIAN LEGUMINOSAE

V1 ALKALOIDS OF PETALOSTYLIS LABICHEOIDES VAR. CASSEOIDES BENTH.

By S. R. JOHNS. ,J. A.. LAMBERTONa, and A. A. SIOUMISS

Badger and Beechaml reported the identification of tetrahydroharman as an

alkaloid of Petalostylis labicheoides, a shrub of the family Leguminosae, but they did

not identify other bases. We have now examined the alkaloids obtained in 0.4-0.5%

yield from a sample of Petalostylis labicheoides var. casseoides Benth, collected near

Alice Springs in central Australia, and we find that tryptamine is by far the major

component. Three other bases are present in our sample in addition to tryptamine,

but in trace amounts only, and of these one is considered on the basis of an examination

by thin-layer chromatography and gas chromatography to be NbNb-dimethyltryptamine,

while another from similar comparison appears to be tetrahydroharman.

Nb-Methyltryptamine could not be detected.

A satisfactory comparison of our results with the earlier work of Badger and

Beechaml cannot be made because these authors did not specify a yield of either

tetrahydroharman or of total bases. Our results suggest however that there may be

considerable differences in alkaloid composition between the varieties of P. labicheoides.

Tryptamine has been found in a number of leguminous species including

Acacia species.2

Experimental

Leaves and stems of Petalostylis labicheoides var. casseoides were collected near Alice Springs

in October 1965 by Mr G. Chippendale. The ethanol extract of a sample (250 g) of milled dry

leaves and stems yielded 1.3 g of total crude alkaloids. The crude bases, which were crystalline,

were compared in thin-layer chromatograms with tryptamine, Nb-methyltryptamine, NbNbdimethyltryptamine,

and tetrahydroharman on alumina plates which were developed in chloroform/

methanol (9 : 1). The major spot staining with iodine from the alkaloid mixture coincided

with that due to tryptamine (RF 0.14) and there were three faint spots at RF 0.55, 0.68, and

0.76. Two spots coincided with those due to dimethyltryptamine (RF 0.76) and tetrahydroharman

(RF 0.55).

Chromatography on a column of weak neutral alumina gave only trace amounts of material

eluted by benzene and banzene/chloroform mixtures, and gas chromatography comparison on a

glass column (6 ft by 4 mm internal diameter) packed with 2% S.E.30 on a "Gas Chromatography

Support" (80-100 mesh), from Applied Science Laboratories, Inc., showed that the components

of these fractions coincided in retention times with il'bNb-dimethyltryptaminaen d tetrahydroharman

respectively. The fractions (85-90% of the total bases) eluted by chloroform consisted

of colourless crystals which were identified as tryptamine (m.p. and mixed m.p., 115-117"). The

infrared and n.m.r. spectra of the alkaloid were identical with those of tryptamine.

* Manuscript received December 16, 1965.

t Part V, Aust. J. Chem., 1965, 18, 433.

2 Division of Organic Chemistry, CSIRO Chemical Research Laboratories, Melbourne.

1 Badger, G. M., and Beecham, A. F., Nature, 1951, 168, 517.

2 Boit, H.-G., "Ergebnisse der Alkaloid-Chemie bis 1960." p. 477. (Akademie-Verlag:

Berlin 1961.)

Aust. J. Chem., 1966, 19, 893

• Like 1

"Three other bases are present in our sample in addition to tryptamine,

but in trace amounts only, and of these one is considered on the basis of an examination

by thin-layer chromatography and gas chromatography to be NbNb-dimethyltryptamine,

while another from similar comparison appears to be tetrahydroharman."

Shame. Has potential though, might be some treasure to be had in a selective breeding project, possibly, maybe... gotta love genetic diversity that 2 face bitch :P .

Harry

Shame.

Affirmative. Cassioides seems the more desirable from what I can gather. The challenge of growing will be enough.

So.....4 years later, has anyone got any more to add on the growing side?

I germinated my seeds (Petalostylis Lab.) in a quite sandy mix with a bit of perlite and a little potting mix thrown in. Pretty much every seed germinated, but after producing the dicot leaves, they are starting to become weak it seems.

I'm gonna try the paper towel method on the rest of my seeds. Regardless of content, Im quite keen to grow one of these. Not sure why, just drawn to it for some reason :)

Cubism: I'm no expert, but that sounds like damping off - which is what has happened to me when trying to grow P. harmala in a mix too rich. Many moons ago my P. cas seeds germinated then failed because I kept them too wet and they were in straight, rich potting mix. Your mix sounds good - is it too wet?

Edited by IndianDreaming
  • Like 1

Thanks for your input mate.

Id say you hit the nail on the head. Ive never tried to grow a desert/arid based plant before and I do have a bad habit of giving plants too much attention.

So is there any new info on these plants? Has anyone successfully grown these out from seed?

I am going to give it ago when herbalistics has seed back in stock or I can source them out from somewhere.

bump... any growing experience in 2019?  seeds seem identical with Acacia sp. so I guess similar to Acacia treatment is one idea