The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Smiling Cloud

Gotu Kola

I have just discovered that I have this plant growing everywhere. I bought one at the local markets and brought it home just to be sure though, I didn't want to make a mistake like my last duboisa encounter. I was going to try some but it says that it is a narcotic which means too much would stop my heart. So what is a good dose to start with?

you can eat a lot..dosage is usually given as 'dry powdered leaves' - 1-4g up to 3 times daily..obviously depends on why you're taking it..don't continue using at therapeutic doses for longer than 6 weeks..you've probably read the proverbial recommendation to eat two leaves per day (to 'keep arthritis away', amongst other things)

side effects (higher doses) is said to be nausea, dizziness, drowsiness..i've made a..hmm 'beverage' of lots of gotu kola, kava & nutmeg, and amino acids, and let's never speak of that again...

here's some recipes from Charmaine Solomon's "Encyclopedia of Asian Food"

Fresh Pennywort Drink

Wash the leaves well, pinch off stems and, for each handful of leaves, add 2-1/2 cups cold water and 1/2 cup simple syrup made with equal parts of sugar and water. (Boil to dissolve sugar, allow to cool and store in a bottle.) Add 3 or 4 ice cubes and blend at high speed. Blend the drink just before serving or it will lose its bright colour.

Pennywort (Gotu-Kola) Salad

Serves 4.

Shredding these small leaves is much easier if the entire amount is rolled tightly within a larger leaf such as lettuce. Then it is a simple matter of slicing thinly through the bundle. This is how Asian cooks do it, without the aid of food processors.

2 bunches gotu-kola or

about 250 g/8 oz/ 2 cups leaves without stems

3 shallots or

1 small onion, finely chopped

Good squeeze lime or

lemon juice

1 sliced chilli (optional)

75 g/2-1/2 oz/1 cup fresh grated coconut

Salt to taste

1/2 teaspoon sugar

Wash well and strip leaves from stems. Shred finely with a sharp knife, combine with other ingredients and serve immediately. The flavour is slightly sour, slightly bitter. Some people prefer this salad to be lightly cooked, if so bring a tablespoon of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the boil in a wok or pan, add all ingredients and toss over heat briefly, stopping before leaves lose their green colour.

scratch that..

cheers,

twee

[This message has been edited by twee (edited 11 April 2002).]