The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

australia, the racist country

An unusually self-pitying post from you, Vertmorpheus.

As for "does not equate racial tolerance".... been a while since our last major purging/ethnic cleansing/cattle truck transport industry went on.

But in the context of "And on your belief that there have not been any eventuations of racism in recent years"... well, I don't believe that, and if youre just going to try and stuff ideas in my mouth then why reply to me at all? surely easier to just talk to your impression of me in your head, or something.

The first statement was what I was referring to, maybe I misinterpreted, but it sounded to me like you were supporting Ace's hypothesis that racism was becoming a thing of the past.

As far as your statement on Cronulla goes, I don't think the people there were as stereotypically evil as you've painted them. In fact, I know at least some of the representative group were people that most would count as "good blokes". Reducing this event to a group of people who do not represent the interests of their larger society without any reason for doing so seems a bit irresponsible. The event was not a conglomeration of bad eggs, it was a contradictorally diverse group that came together over a common interest in keeping Cronulla white. I don't think we do ourselves any favours by thinking of these people as an isolated and homogeneous group of moronic racists. There are deep social issues underlying the action. As far as your argument that Cronulla was not a big deal outside of the media representation of it, I think this is fairly narrow, given the obvious and visible nature of the event, simply by the fact that this type of thing is rare in Australia to me suggests that it is worthy of news-media attention. It's fine to look at the "good" news, and I encourage it, if you have enough to counter the "bad" news being discussed, please go ahead and post, its certainly more pleasant to read.

Really I just don't think it's valid to say "we are better than we were, so fuck it", which is essentially what your 2nd last para is saying. Just as inadequate is emphasizing the countries that are more racist than we are, or the invisibility of racism. Just because it is not accepted to slander races in a professional environment does not mean racism doesn't exist.

Let's take a step back from the black and white (excuse the pun), I'm not going to try to force you into believing Australia has a problem with racism, I just think the points "for" speak far more strongly than the points "against". If a warm 'n' fuzzy "global village" is your take on the world, its a testament to the power of positive thinking, but the term itself (global village) and its origins suggest something other than the apple pie scenario. Make your own mind up.

ok, i´ve tried the Australien Citizenship Test and the swimsuit question really gave me a hard time! Looks like it lets me in though i dont have a clue about budgie smugglers! :wave-finger:

From an email I just received:

2007 Australian Citizenship test

1. Do you understand the meaning, but are unable to explain the origin

of, the term "died in the arr se"?

2. What is a bloody little beauty?

3. Are these terms related: chuck a sickie; chuck a spaz; chuck a U-ey?

4. Explain the following passage: "In the arvo last Chrissy the relos

rocked up for a barbie, some bevvies and a few snags. After a bit of a

Bex and a lie down we opened the pressies, scoffed all the chockies,

bickies and lollies. Then we drained a few tinnies and Mum did her block

after Dad and Steve had a barney and a bit of biffo."

5. Macca, Chooka and Wanger are driving to Surfers in their Torana. If

they are travelling at 100 km/h while listening to Barnsey, Farnsey and

Acca Dacca, how many slabs will each person on average consume between

flashing a brown eye and having a slash?

6. Complete the following sentences:

a) "If the van's rockin' don't bother ?

B) You're going home in the back of a ?

c) Fair crack of the ?

7. I've had a gutful and I can't be fagged. Discuss

8. Have you ever been on the giving or receiving end of a wedgie?

9. Do you have a friend or relative who has a car in their front yard

"up on blocks"? Is his name Bruce and does he have a wife called Cheryl?

10. Does your family regularly eat a dish involving mincemeat, cabbage,

curry powder and a packet of chicken noodle soup called either chow

mein, chop suey or kai see ming?

11. What are the ingredients in a rissole?

12. Demonstrate the correct procedure for eating a Tim Tam.

13. Do you have an Aunty Irene who smokes 30 cigarettes a day and sounds

like a bloke?

14. In any two-hour period have you ever eaten three-bean salad, a chop

and two serves of pav washed down with someone else's beer that has been

flogged from a bath full of ice?

15. When you go to a bring- your-own-meat barbie can you eat other

people's meat or are you only allowed to eat your own?

16. What purple root vegetable beginning with the letter "b" is required

by law to be included in a hamburger with the lot?

17. Do you own or have you ever owned a lawn mower, a pair of thongs, an

Esky or Ugg boots?

18. Is it possible to "prang a car" while doing "circle work"?

19. Who would you like to crack on to?

20. Who is the most Australian: Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, John "True Blue"

Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?

21. Is there someone you are only mates with because they own a trailer

or have a pool?

22. What does sinkin piss at a mates joint and getten para mean?

Looks like the bogan Aussie is still alive and kicking. Ah well, who gives a rats eh?

Stuff about question 16 always really annoys me.... I never understood why beetroot always has to be put on a burger... never liked the stuff.

-bumpy

Lol - seconded. The stuff should stay in the ground IMO!

Gotta admit, question 6A is my fav :) Love them old pannos!

"Who is the most Australian: Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, John "True Blue" Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?"

When people talking about being 'Australian' or 'Unaustralian'.... they are trying to create an image of how close they are to a really trashy stereotype??

Do Australians see these traits as admirable? Everything people seem to associate with Australia seems to be incredibly tacky... which is different to the way I see this country, or its people...

Am I the only one who cringes at these self perpetuating stereotypes? and how people are somehow making them ideals? :ana:

"Who is the most Australian: Kevin "Bloody" Wilson, John "True Blue" Williamson, Kylie Minogue or Warnie?"

When people talking about being 'Australian' or 'Unaustralian'.... they are trying to create an image of how close they are to a really trashy stereotype??

Do Australians see these traits as admirable? Everything people seem to associate with Australia seems to be incredibly tacky... which is different to the way I see this country, or its people...

Am I the only one who cringes at these self perpetuating stereotypes? and how people are somehow making them ideals? :ana:

no, your not

not particularly self pitying to me, but everyones going to have their own take on things. I can sit here and waffle shit about nothing in particular for hours (no really i could guys :P) but I just take a touch of exception when a sensible enough member starts telling me I have said things that I haven't.I know I write an abundance of things via a medium known for its short, snappy insights, "just so" lil remarks..so I don't get real cut up when ppl paraphrase,condense,edit my rambling ideas to fit better into their own heads. But distilling a bigarse chunk of text into

"we are better than we were, so fuck it",

Well, thats not what I said, not what I am saying, not who I am. Anywhere that racism exists, it is of course a problem (if it was of no consequence, well, we wouldn't be talking about it). My point was that the problem is quite possibly ever present (put a white chook in with half a dozen red ones) but certainly more of a problem in some countries than others. The level or commonality of the sentiment behind its expressions is to me kind of irrelevant, as we can't force anyone to think anything. BUt we can keep a lid on their bullshit little outbursts and flare ups, make it clear that those opinions are not a valid reason for deciding who can or who cannot do, be or go to anything they want to. In general I find most interpersonal hatred and anger tobe for interpersonal reasons.. who's grandad was from where seldom comes up, in the moment.

All I mean is that we are better than we were, and I expect that trend to continue, for a range of reasons I won't bother going into. We are certainly a lot better than many parts of the world, especially when our shocking early history is taken into account. But by no means perfect.

Not sure why some vague ideas of "things are better than a lot of places, both in time and space" has to be turned into concrete, absolute principles. If anyone manages to make an extract de verte, let me know. Though I wouldn't go ingesting any.

I personally believe, and find, that Australians in general are fairly tolerant people. They wont love everythng bout you, and don't have to. But few of us will actually burn up energy on racist bullshit. Some people,sadly,do. A fair few ppl will do it in passing, on a whim, for a naughty lil giggle with the boys in the ute... but few will actually do a U-ey (lovely!) and beat people half to death, or throw shit at them. Personally, despite having seen racism from many angles and sources, I don't find the language to be as harmful as ..well..the harmful actions and systems. Many more people will say racist things in private than in their general and open conduct. But I dont want to share a country where you can get locked up, charged, shot, whatever, just for using a silly childish name for someone you barely know.

I'm not into shootings ethnics or racists, I guess that makes me multipacific.

Nuff said.

VM

Oh yeah and I just wanted to include a quote from our PM in response to peoples complaints about alcohol bans and curfews in Indigenous communities in QLD
Mr Howard responded to the criticism saying that "staying alive was more important than civil liberties".

Very amusing, I'm sure Mr Howard would be up in arms if there was a curfew imposed on HIM!

How many countless thousands (or millions?) of people have died throughout the ages in civil wars and other struggles protesting their lack of civil liberties? People have been martyrs for their cause historically, for anyone to say that civil liberties are less important than living, they obviously cannot see how human beings have transcended past simplistic animal goals of simply surviving and altruism and high morals are actually something worth dying for. Especially if these are for the greater good of the entire species. We are transhuman we are a singular mind experienced subjectively within each individual human vessel that is why the calling, as it were is greater than a single self and martydom is no problem if freedom is squandered. One need only look at suicide bombers in what used to be Palestine.

I guess Howard is a self-serving fool that could never give his life for the greater good, that is why he can say such false statements.

-edit-

Seriously though with such statements he obviously has no idea about humanity and what it is to be a real human being fighting for freedom / respect / civil rights AND survival. Silver Spoon wanker! Next famine when his advisors tell him people are running out of bread he'll say "let them eat cake" he's that out of touch.

Let them eat cake

Edited by El Duderino