The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Humanfuel

Acacia ID's....

Hey Guys..... wondering if any of you could help me out....

Been seeing these acacia's around my home and work area for the last while.... and I have really wanted to know what species they are..... tried to have a look on Wattle net ... but to no luck.... I just suck at IDing plants...!!!!

Both acacia's are in the Gold Coast area....!!!

1) This plant is only about a year old..... and has finally started flowering!

I have noticed a few of the that came up in the last year...!!!

gallery_609_1_202775.jpg

gallery_609_1_184670.jpg

gallery_609_1_243545.jpg

med_gallery_609_1_162419.jpg

med_gallery_609_1_305354.jpg

2) This plant is a lot older...

gallery_609_1_410329.jpg

gallery_609_1_209664.jpg

med_gallery_609_1_295841.jpg

If anyone would be so kind as to help me identify these beautiful plants..... I would be greatly apreciated!!!!

Human

Not sure about the first one. The second one looks alot like Acacia binervia. Not 100% on that though.

Hi PD.....

Thanks for the reply......

I had a look on wattle web... and Acacia binervia does look a lot like number 2...!!!!

I am very interested in acacia number 1 .... it has amazing phyllodes.... some of them are so broad as you can see in pic 2

...anyone else have any takes on the ID's.....????

Hey HF, I also live on the Gold Coast and have recently attempted to identify wattles which look very similiar to those in your pics. To me both wattles look very much like black wattles either Acacia leiocalyx or Acacia concurrens (both species should be in flower at the moment). One of the ways these two common species differ is in the colour of their branchlets. I think the second specimen is more likely a leiocalyx due to the reddish colour of its branchlets as apposed to concurrens which has green/grey branchlets. Acacia number 1 may be concurrens (less reddish colouration of the branchlets) or possibly a young leiocalyx (in my experience their branchlets seem to redden with age). As mentioned on wattleweb and seen in the pics they have of leiocalyx the phyllodes of this species are often much broader on younger plants. Hope this helps.

Edited by volcanicplug

Hi volcanicplug....

Yeah... that actually makes a lot of sense.... as I have been trying to find where the mother plants could be .... and there does not seem to be any mature acacia's that look the same as the younger plants (1) but heaps of the more mature Acacia's (2) with the less "broad" phyllodes......... !!!

...so I'm guessing you're correct with the assumption that the younger plants are also leiocalyx !!!..... cause there doesn't seem to be any mature plants with the green/grey branchlets....!!!

...I'll just have to look around again to check...!!!!

Thanks for the reply....!!!!!