The Corroboree
tonic

Astrophytum spp.

flowering time here now :) i will take more pics of sme others once their buds turn into something cool :)

myrio

myrio.jpg

my favourite cv :)

han1.jpg

han2.jpg

han3.jpg

han4.jpg

There's some really gorgeous plants in this thread. You guys make me rather jealous... all I've got is a lone ornatum. Having seen this thread, I might have to get a few friends to keep it company. :)

Astrophytum are quick becoming my favorite cacti. I have a pretty good collection of seedlings and have recently bought a load of seeds.

which leads to my next question regarding grafting Astrophytum. I have been trying to graft some A asterias with not much luck.

are there any tricks I should know about??

- I'm using Peres as the stock and have tried with 2/3 week seedlings

Astrophytum are quick becoming my favorite cacti. I have a pretty good collection of seedlings and have recently bought a load of seeds.

which leads to my next question regarding grafting Astrophytum. I have been trying to graft some A asterias with not much luck.

are there any tricks I should know about??

- I'm using Peres as the stock and have tried with 2/3 week seedlings

i have 2 grafted asterias and they are so slow!

I have a caput medusea seedling just come up and intend on grafting it :lol: . Not sure which stock to use though. I have read that peres is not the best for Astro's and Hylocerus is better. Anyone else confirm this?

Nice examples in the pics :)

i have 2 grafted asterias and they are so slow!

Did you just use the standard peres/loph method to graft them mark?

I've heard the same thing Harry - I have a load of hylocereus that I'm hoping will soon pup and give me some grafting stock.

Nup. You need a different method. Use pressure on the grafts and graft them 3 days after they have germinated becuase otherwise i find that they strat to harden off.

Nup. You need a different method. Use pressure on the grafts and graft them 3 days after they have germinated becuase otherwise i find that they strat to harden off.

three days after germination! I think my fingers are too fat for that kind of grafting - also how do you apply pressure to such a tiny scion?

three days after germination! I think my fingers are too fat for that kind of grafting - also how do you apply pressure to such a tiny scion?

I have (a bit of) succuess grafting seedlings that are 1mm in diameter. its really ahrd and like i said i've only had 2 outta 100 or so seeds take.

I use wet tissue paper to hold her on.

electrical tape with some dry tissue over the scion works amazing!

Hylocereus is the best Astro stock, hands down :) the Hanazono i posted above are only 3 years from seed and 7cm.

Thanx for that info Kadakuda, looks like I'm gonna have to track down some Hylocerus stock :)

isn't dragon fruit a crop in Aus? may nto be the best, but its still a hylo!

isn't dragon fruit a crop in Aus? may nto be the best, but its still a hylo!

It sure is... Hylocereus undatus, I believe. I've got some seedlings that I grew from seeds havested from a dragonfruit that I bought from the greengrocer.

It could be an easy way to grow *lots* of Hylocereus for grafting purposes. :wink:

Nice looking plants.i find the mealy and red spider really love Astrophytum.

I was just looking at the crafting comp at the nook and they seem to be having pretty good results with pereskiopsis.

search for 'competition'

I have done a few A asterias grafts to peres. I don't want to start claiming success but so for I think I have 1/3 success. (they havn't dropped off and died) although they are yet to start significant growth.

cheers

Do you graft seedling to hylocerues? Or are they more advanced?

i only graft 1-2 cm scions to hylocereus myself.

2435406353_b0002d0a6a.jpg

2435481665_3d14d61239.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuuude! The bottom one is VERY cool!

What species is that, again?

Each Astrophytum species is so UNIQUE!!! It's like the genus of mis-fit cacti!

Cheers Teotz, It's an Astrophytum capricorne, I suspect it might be var. niveum because the new spines are pretty dark, not %100 on that one yet. Will have to search around for some more pics so I can ID properly.

They certainly have a broad spectrum of sizes, shapes and forms. I really like collecting them. Always a new type to colllect.

Ah! Yes! Astrophytum capricorne!

That's what I thought...

Very nice!

Do you know how old that specimen is? Was it seed grown? or did you purchase it as an adult?

Edited by Teotz'

Hey everyone! 

I hope I get some leniency- as I am bringing up an old thread. 

I had a Pretty big collection that I left to develop ( read as: ignored due to life) that didn’t make it through the floods in Townsville.  That being said, restarting my collection has ignited new vigour! 

Only one loph made it through. But I have some new astrophytums!

Finally nearly 15 years in the making I have a an Astro caput medusae!

more to come!

• Like 1