The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Propagating Crested T.Pachanoi?

What is the best way to propagate cristate Pachs? When is it OK to start chopping them and how small? What about grafting small pieces onto other Pachs? What are the chances the cuttings will revert, and what are the chances new pups from the base will revert? Any other advice? Thanks!

What is the best way to propagate cristate Pachs? When is it OK to start chopping them and how small? What about grafting small pieces onto other Pachs? What are the chances the cuttings will revert, and what are the chances new pups from the base will revert? Any other advice? Thanks!

best way is to send to retrogradeamnesia c/o the Lab ;-)

best way is to send to retrogradeamnesia c/o the Lab ;-)

Sorry mate, no O/S requests :D

ANSWER ME DAMMIT.

please

To my knowledge, we don't have any crsted packs in Oz, so although we'd love to know about this subject, we are probably just as oblivious as u. I'd guess, judging by other rare forms of cacti, all grafting methods would be best option for increased growth rate, hense propagation. I'd be looking at methods like this ->trichocereus_peruvianus_variegata_wedge_graft_thumb_20041015191817.jpg

It would appear that cristrate pachs also do fine on their own roots ->sanpedro_crest_thumb_20040601164246.jpg

Photos used without permission.sanpedro_crest_overzicht_thumb_20040601164315.jpg

Edited by naja naja

There are a number of distinct clone lines that exist. Some do fine on their own roots and grow fast, others are rot prone and grow slowly so appreciate being grafted. Some rarely stick to being crests but most show and on and off cristation pattern alternating with monstrose and/or normal growth. ANY normal tips taken off of those will continue the tradition eventually.

Grafting anything will accelerate growth rate but its a parasitic relationship. The scion grows faster at teh expense of reducing the life span of the stock. Meaning eventually the scion will need another host to be provided or the growth rate will slow down.

Wedge grafts, saddle grafts or normal grafts all work fine.

Or be patient, let them get large, divide, heal and reroot - then grow them on their own roots. The larger the plant before and after cutting it, the better your results will be.

Or plant enough thousands of seeds and some crests are almost certain to pop up on their own.

To my knowledge, we don't have any crsted packs in Oz

:blink:

That sucks, I had no idea. Thanks for the input though.

There are a number of distinct clone lines that exist. Some do fine on their own roots and grow fast, others are rot prone and grow slowly so appreciate being grafted. Some rarely stick to being crests but most show and on and off cristation pattern alternating with monstrose and/or normal growth. ANY normal tips taken off of those will continue the tradition eventually.

Grafting anything will accelerate growth rate but its a parasitic relationship. The scion grows faster at teh expense of reducing the life span of the stock. Meaning eventually the scion will need another host to be provided or the growth rate will slow down.

Wedge grafts, saddle grafts or normal grafts all work fine.

Or be patient, let them get large, divide, heal and reroot - then grow them on their own roots. The larger the plant before and after cutting it, the better your results will be.

Or plant enough thousands of seeds and some crests are almost certain to pop up on their own.

So if I take a couple of cuttings from a rooted one and try grafting them... the pups that come from the rooted one, even though they may revert, will eventually become cristate, and same for the grafts? Also, what size grafts would you recommend? From looking at the mother plant, and going by the last years growth, I think the ones I have are a fairly hardy kind, if a little on the slow side.

Edited by IllegalBrain

The bigger they are the more likely they are to survive and show vigor again soon.

A general rule of thumb for rooting cuttings is the smaller ones take more time to regain vigor.

2-3 inches wide and 1+ inch tall would be my recommendation for the smallest size but smaller can work. Expecially if you graft. In the latter case cuttings as small as an inch by half an inch can work. (I've seen tiny scraps of flesh work) Again the bigger you can start with, the faster results you will get. Then you can divide again. Over time this can really get your numbers up.

If you want to go really small start with a pereskiopsis stock then transfer to something larger after the first year and a bit. I dislike this approach due to teh glochids but it works great.

I probably should not mention this but while I have certainly had plants coming in from England seized and destroyed for lack of paperwork, small plants coming and going from Oz have not had such a fate.

Someone flying there in person would likely have little trouble although fines are certainly a risk in addition to loss of the plant.

Does anyone know what is required to get a live cactus into Oz if it had a proper phytosanitary certificate included?

I probably should not mention this but while I have certainly had plants coming in from England seized and destroyed for lack of paperwork, small plants coming and going from Oz have not had such a fate.

Someone flying there in person would likely have little trouble although fines are certainly a risk in addition to loss of the plant.

Does anyone know what is required to get a live cactus into Oz if it had a proper phytosanitary certificate included?

Thanks heaps for the info, the sizes you mentioned have put my mind at ease, as I was thinking of making cuttings bigger than the largest size you mentioned!

Edited by IllegalBrain

Any idea what sort of fines might be incurred from smuggling a small nugget or two of crested T. pach into Aus? FOAF would be willing to put his neck on the line, provided he wont end up in a cold cell or too far out of pocket :unsure: Like they say, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Any idea what sort of fines might be incurred from smuggling a small nugget or two of crested T. pach into Aus? FOAF would be willing to put his neck on the line, provided he wont end up in a cold cell or too far out of pocket :unsure: Like they say, is the juice worth the squeeze?

Not sure, sounds pretty illegal.

Edited by IllegalBrain

:innocent_n: Hmmm. Wouldn't mind a piece of a crested pach myself.

:wink:

oh and back to the point of the thread...

i propagate via small cuttings... they have always rooted up for me...

i cant bring myself to chop big chunks off my babies :rolleyes:

:drool2: Damn - we REALLY need some of that in these parts!! Hmm, I wonder where we could source some reasonably large quantities that would be happy enough to post to Oz? If your gonna do something, ya might as well go all out :P

• Like 1