The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
eccles

Growing Psilocybe subaeruginosa ?

Hi there,

I was wondering how similar this species is to cubensis when it comes to propagation?

eg, would you be able to follow a rye grain procedure pretty much the same as for cubensis? The Greenhouse at Earthpod seems to be offering the only spores around atm and they are not cubensis, so I thought I'd better find out before ordering them. I do have cubensis prints, but as I made them myself and have never used them I am not certain about how 'clean' they are.

So if anyone could tell me how easy these are compared to cubensis, and whether they are more suceptible to contams, or take longer then the info'd be most welcome!

Or perhaps someone would be willing to part with some spores? or even prepare a spore syringe? (for trade or cash?) thanks smile.gif

[This message has been edited by eccles (edited 21 January 2002).]

Also, does anyone have any suggestions about syringes? I have some very small ones (with approx 1" needles on them) but I'd really like to try to find some bigger, more appropriate ones.

I am also having probs finding jars (without contents). If I was doing the rice cake method I'd use allowrie jam jars, but I want ones with screw-on lids. (If I was going to grow them I'd try to follow pretty closely the mush-mush method).

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by eccles (edited 21 January 2002).]

Hello, unfortunately (for you) it is quite different to P. cubensis. It eats wood. This means that it would probably have to be fruited on woodchips, like you can read on the web for P. azurescens and P. cyanescens. I still haven't heard of anyone getting subaeruginosa to fruit but probably people have and just haven't made it widely known... most people seem to think treating it much like azurescens would work. Again unfortunately (for you), the best way to do that is to create an outdoor bed in spring, and wait til the next autumn/winter for the mushrooms...

I can't remember where I read it but something along the same lines as what RK mentioned.

Get a culture going which should'nt be too hard or illegal, then throw the culture out into a conveniently pre-prepared mulch bed (thus avoiding legal probs wink.gif.

I'd be happy to go and dig up several tanbark piles and send you ready made maedium, however I must state I don't condone growing these mushrooms.

I am however happy to give you information including: the excact spp. of woodchip that is used, the approximate time of decomposition before fruiting occurs and any other information I feel relevant.

I am convinced that in some gardens the tanbark is actually caring the mycelium before it is spread, maybe before puchase.

AFOAF's creation story:

Several years ago, in a local gardens there were several large piles of woodchips.

It was pressumed that these were piles of woodchips from eucalypt species that were raped from virgin forrests not so far away.

Anyhow, one nice day in Autumn I decided to run up and down in all of these piles of woodchips......well....cause face it, its just plain fun smile.gif

Coincidently earlier that day I had being excercising my leg muscles by kicking mushrooms which is also just plain fun, especially the ones that stain blue smile.gif

A year passed and another fine Autumn day arrived.

I went to find the piles of woodchips to get my "jollies" and low and behold they were all gone frown.gif

On my walk home I was begining to feel sad, and then I saw some of the woodchips, only they had been spread out all over the place

No sooner had I noticed the woodchips, I was kicking dozens of those blue staining shrooms.

As a tradition I now go on an anual shroom kicking mission.

Last season there were literally thousands of blue stumps where shrooms had once stood

and my bluelegs are soooo strong too.

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 22 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 22 January 2002).]

there is a brand of jam called bonne maman,

it comes in the type of jars your'e after

it used to be at franklins at marrickville metro, but that's woolworths now and i don't

know any more ,maybe another franklins with

a foreign food section, or definately any

good deli, but you'd better like the jam$$$$

adrian - would you be good enough to put a sub growing tek with some specifics? ie something good enough to archive or print out for future reference.

Guest Saccharomyces
Originally posted by rkundalini:

I still haven't heard of anyone getting subaeruginosa to fruit but probably people have and just haven't made it widely known... most people seem to think treating it much like azurescens would work.

I haven't succeeded either, but one theory I am entertaining is that these things actually prefer light. Last season, I was horrified to find that my favourite pine forest had been logged during the Autumn. As it turned out, it was just as productive as ever, if not more so. Adding weight to this theory, I decided to take a look in the most mature, overgrown part of the forest. I initially thought that these would be optimal conditions, with more pine needle casing, more decomposed wood, and more chance for the spawn to have established itself, but there was almost nothing there except the odd Amanita. There was almost no light reaching the floor covering.

Otherwise, as is well-known, a cold snap is required (in Adelaide terms, that seems to be a couple of 5C nights). The closest I have come to succeeding with home cultivation was quite by accident. Back in my ignorant past, I thought compost might be an appropriate growing medium. I was also experimenting with a number of different casings such as peat moss and vermiculite. At one point, I took it into my head to place a fibrous door-mat over the compost as a means of protecting the mycelium from the sun. I was suprised to see that the mat became colonised within 2 weeks in the winter outdoors, and was threatening to fruit. And then, because I still had this misconception that a casing was necessary, I took the mat off and replaced it with something else. And that was the end of the story frown.gif

i also have been trying

to propogate the subs

for a number of years

but no fruiting

as far as i know

(a few years ago

i sprayed the spores

around auckland public bark

gardens like crazy

some of this may have taken)

the current fantasy is

mycelium threaded bark

from locale where they grow vigorously

mixed 50/50 with dry/damp cardboard

(from a plain ripped up corrogated box

nothing could be easier of cheaper to find)

this mixture was then

loosely piled in a clear plastic plant propogator &

THE CARDBOARD WAS QUICKLY COLONISED

(i had tried plastic bags prior with less success)

a few weeks ago this mix was planted out

in 1 metre cubed planter boxes

each already containing a large plant

mixed with decomposed mulch

from native tree trimming

i feel optimistic about some

fruiting this season

& think it would be phenomenal

if some of the planter box colonies worked out

i have notice that these babies fruit vigorously

when they reach a solid boundary

(as a way of reaching out beyond the existing web i imagine)

so hope that planter boxes may prove efficient in this regard

will keep you updated

jalien.gif

elftrance.com

[This message has been edited by jalien (edited 05 February 2002).]