The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jesus On Peyote

Orchid Tea

Hi peeps,

I was just looking though some sites looking for some rare chinese orchids and i came across a site that says cirtain species ( the 2 i saw are in the title) that have medicinal value.Iv never heard of orchid teas for any kind of benifits an am wondering if anyone else here has heard of it or tried some?

I got the info from here http://www.natureproducts.net/Forest_Produ...ds/orchids.html

under the medicinal orchid section left to the bottom.Ill look up some more on it later when i have time but yea.

ANyway, i was interested when i saw it n thought ild share.

Disclaimer- does not seem psychoactive lol but still

The medicinal Dendrobium I remember reading of is D. nobile

Info

Pretty medicine :wub:

Check out Oncidium cebolleta coul b something special or another bananadine, not much is realy known but I'd like to find out.

Plants Of The Gods by hoffman & shultes lists an epiphytic orchid Oncidium cebolleta.

found on steep cliffs & trees in the Tarahumara indian country of mexico. "It is suspected to be an hallucinogen, employed as a temporary surrogate of peyote".

"An alkaloid has been reported".

sure is beautiful:

183793684_81ea9f3b23.jpg

don't know anything more about it.

edit: sorry shruman, missed your post ^^

Edited by Paradox

Yea, orchids are one of the prettiest flowers around.

Ta for the replies, seems like theres some info out there, like i said probably not of the mind bending kind but still usfull none the less when needed as actual medicine. Oncidium cebolleta sounds like one to try n find some more on

---edit---

Just found a little more info on Oncidium cebolleta, not much mind you but its somthing

http://www.v72.org/sacred_Oncidium.htm

http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.cgi?ID=1898

Not much more then what you said para but still.

Oncidium cebolleta also known as Oncidium longifolium is an orchid that is native to the stony cliffs of Tarahumara Indian country of Mexico (Chihuahua)
Edited by Jesus On Peyote

the idea that because it contained phenanthrene derivatives that it would contain benzyl isoquinoline alkaloids like morphine is a little off. It could but the amine functionality is present in the molecule long before formation of the phenanthrene skeleton. If anyone has the real deal send me some next year and ill look at it.

"If anyone has the real deal send me some next year and ill look at it."

Yeah me too!, I might do more than look though :wink::P .

I have a great source (one of the best in the world) for species orchids about 30 minutes from my house. Last I checked, he had O. cebolleta for about $10.00 US. I haven't bought one because I'm an Orchidaholic constantly in recovery. If I go to a greenhouse or orchid show, I have to give my wallet w/ plastic to my woman and only take cash. - otherwise I end up spending more than I have. :BANGHEAD2: Perhaps I should be strong and obtain just this one (and maybe a couple other temp. tolerant orchids :rolleyes:,) you know, for the sake of the community. What's the deal with sending dried plant material to Aus? How would it need to be packaged? How much would you need, as that's not a lot of time for growth for most orchids?

ive never delt with live plants but we have received some plant material from OS and all that had to be done was freeze it for a few days, theuni has the facilities aswell so it was all done on site and we got the leaves still frozen which is fine.

Teo, yeah, I was talking about sending some leaf/bulb/root material. How much would you need to test it? One 6" long strap leaf? Less? More?

I've had a small piece of O.cebolleta sitting on my keyboard for a few months now. I am not that fond of smoking, but this is one I am keen to experience myself. I've also got a few other orchids that are likely to be psychoactive and will report when I get around to them. At least they are meant to be consumed as tea.

anyone have any info/experience with Lady's Slipper orchid? the only thing i have seen on it is on erowid where it says it's "better than opium". and yes, i will now UTFSE :P

edit: LOL the only result is this post...maybe i should be less specific.

Edited by frank

Lady slipper orchids fall into at least 3 genera and ranging from a handful to hundreds of species within these. which are you talking about?

Anyone know where you can buy O.cebolleta? cant find many shops online, let alone in australia.(dont like overseas flower shops) i wouldent mind adding it to my orchid collection, i have a few but they have no nametags on em, all i know about em is that their flowers rock! il take some pics of em soon, getting into flowering now.

Anyone know where you can buy O.cebolleta? cant find many shops online, let alone in australia.(dont like overseas flower shops) i wouldent mind adding it to my orchid collection, i have a few but they have no nametags on em, all i know about em is that their flowers rock! il take some pics of em soon, getting into flowering now.

Yeah, you could try Burleigh Park Orchids in Qld.

They sell flasks of seedlings and also plants.

I'm remember seeing it (O.cebolleta) on the list of flasks about 2yrs ago .

That doesn't mean they've done them again since.

I had O.cebolleta about 18-20yrs ago just before

my orchidophilia went into remission the first time :rolleyes: .

It was among a few other species I donated to the Melb. Bot. Gardens.

I wonder if it survived? :scratchhead:

Hi Torsten,

I've also got a few other orchids that are likely to be psychoactive and will report when I get around to them.

any of them native? just so I can add them into my talk at EGA :)

Thanks, ill try find their site as im in melb :)

I think its

www.speciesorchids.com

Also, I seem to recall seeing a reference to Bletilla striata (? B.hyacyntha) 'bulbs'

being used in TCM.

It's a terrestrial species that grows well in garden beds.

Loses all aerial parts over winter .

Edited by gecko

Hi Torsten,

any of them native? just so I can add them into my talk at EGA :)

sorry, no. South american and chinese, although I am curious about some of the aussie relatives.

I seen them at wallmart.

If any chemicals I would think wouldn't be in the flower but the skin of the roots.

So one can try it out without killing the plant by taking the surface of the tuber like roots.

As would be the primary part of a plant to resist insects or small rodents.

Snort it maybe and if not psychoactive one stills has a nice greenhouse plant.

If a commercially sourced orchid is not raised for ingestion it should not be ingested. The same is true for lots of ornamentals.

Dendrobium tea is wonderful especially with sliced licorice. It is often used by healers for chi replenishment.

Use a ginseng cooker for the best results.

The stems and buds are used rather than the flowers. Soft, pliable and rich yellow with white pulp rather than faded, dry and brittle should be used for selecting for good quality.

I've used the extract too but it has so far proved inferior to a good batch of Chinese orchids via a reputable herb supplier.

I've been waiting a fucking year for someone to add to this thread... a whole fucking year just dying for a follow up, and that's it?

Where's the suicide emoticon?

I've been waiting a fucking year for someone to add to this thread... a whole fucking year just dying for a follow up, and that's it?

Where's the suicide emoticon?

seems more like two years Morg ;)

but yeah this is all rather intresting so T did you ever get a chance to biossay those species you were talking about