The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

cocao bean porridge

hey all,

this morning i bought a bag of cocao beans from an asian grocery.

the lady told me to grind them up and make porridge out of them, which i just did and am currently eating.

i ground some beans up in a blender then just cooked it up as you would oats to make a sloppy porridge, then added a little sugar.

it tastes quite bazaar, a lot like that ultra dark chocolate you can buy but with a gooey and a little bit of a crunchy consistency.

over all it's weird but not too bad at all & with a little experimentation i reckon you could whip up some really nice recipes.

just wondering if anyone else has given this a go & knows any good ways to prepare the beans.

cheers

para

mmm me n the chef at work crushed u a handful of beans and heated it slowly with some milk, chucked in half a hand ful of full beans too just for fun, let the whole thing simmer for 15 ish, added a dollop of honey and mixed in a dollop of cream

let the whole thing go cold in the fridge and it turned into this delictable rich creamy chocolate maltlike drink, it doesnt go black like chocolat but stays white

Edited by Tepa

Damn, Tepa's recipe sounds delicious!

Just curious, Paradox, your recipe sounds like it would be extremely bitter with all that cocoa - do you find that? I cant even eat 'dark' chocolate because it is too bitter and strong for my likes (usually makes me nauseous even just smelling it... a bit like coffee I guess).

they are bitter!

but something to do with milk proteins binding with the bitter compounds removed alot of the bitterness in my drink, it was just left with a curious subtle classy aftertaste

Hey ace,

yeah it was bitter, but it wasn't that bad, it depends what your taste is i guess. it was comparable to the bitterness of those 80% cocao dark chocolates, which i quite like.

something to do with milk proteins binding with the bitter compounds removed alot of the bitterness

sounds interesting Tepa

i'll definately give that recipe a go :) thanks for posting

any more good recipes anyone has tried?

hey paradox, hey tepa, hey ace.

this is the way we made chocolate when i was in ecuador;

a few handfuls of dried cacao beans dry roasted in a pan on a fire, you could prolly do in the oven and watch it so they dont burn to the tray. the pan was quite hot and the beans were roasted for about 10-15mins.

when they were crispy and dark brown we took them out, let them cool and then broke off the outer, crispy shell with our fingers so we were left with a heap of shiny, hard and slightly patterned beans.

if they are not shelled it would prolly make the end result more bitter i suspect.

we then grinded them in an old hand cranked grinder until all of the beans were the consistancy of like grated parmesan.

the cacao was then mixed with panela, an unrefined form of cane sugar like brown sugar (u could definately use brown sugar or maybe palm sugar instead), and then heated it in a sufficient amount of hot water or milk.

it was by far the best chocolate i have ever eaten, and i do love dark, bitter chocolate!:drool2:

hope this helps.

note: we did not solidify the mixture, though somthn like butter would do it i imagine.

p.s - if u ever come across whole cacao fruits, please let us know, the fruit around the beans is really delicious too.

peace guys!

Edited by husk

Husk that sounds awsome :lol: thanks man

i'm definately gonna do that!!

i'll try some experiments to solidify.

perhaps copha?

or butter.

hmmmmm i dunno

thanks again

Edited by Paradox

no worries man,

u could still blend or better yet process the beans using a cake mixer or similar, but definately check if the beans are shelled or not cos if they aren't it might be contributing to the crunchy texture of yr mix.

enjoy!

:wink:

peace

yeah i didn't de-shell the beans before i ground them. nor did i roast them.

i'm not sure if they are pre roasted?

i just read somewhere that cocao beans are 50% fat which solidifies under about 32% celsius.

so that may mean that if you cooked enough of the moisture off the brew it may solidify by itself when cooled.

not sure

trying tepa's recipe right now. in the fridge getting ready for consumption.

bitter = better IMHO

dark chocolate over milky chocolate any day

last night i made husks chocolate, using husks recipe (sort of) & man it is soooo good! easily the best chocolate i've ever tried, just beautiful :drool2:

i was also bouncing up & down on my seat for hours! i found it to be really psychoactive! i must have eaten a fair bit of it :) i got really strong stimulation, but with no jitteryness or anything and just a sweet endorphin high.

cocao beans are rad!

I just thought id add for those who dont know cacao beans have amazing nutritional value to them very amazing to say the least i eat organic cocao beans daily along with powdered spirulina and chorella and feel on top of the world daily really on top of the world it brings my mind and body in beautiful balance.

heres a link to the nutritional information of cacao beans http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21QG.html

enjoy

hey i reckon that that the strong stimulation and great feeling comes from some of the things contained in cacoa here is a list of some things.

it is a potent source of serotonin, dopamine and phenylethylamine

A List of Healthy Substances Found in Raw Chocolate (Theobroma Cacao)

Many of the natural chemical compounds in raw cocoa or cacao beans and in organic dark chocolate have been discussed in scientific literature as being pharmacologically significant to health. Here is a partial list of these active substances in natural organic chocolate

Anandamide (a neurotransmitter known as "the bliss chemical")

Arginine (nature's aphrodisiac)

Dopamine (a neurotransmitter)

Epicatechins (antioxidants)

Magnesium (for healthy heart function)

Serotonin (anti-stress neurotransmitter)

Tryptophan (anti-depressant amino acid)

Phenylethylamine (PEA) (controls the ability to focus attention and stay alert)

Polyphenols (antioxidants)

Histamine

Tyramine

Salsolinol

taken from http://www.astrologyzine.com/healthy-chocolate.shtml

"i just read somewhere that cocao beans are 50% fat which solidifies under about 32% celsius.

so that may mean that if you cooked enough of the moisture off the brew it may solidify by itself when cooled."

Yup it should do.

"solidifies under about 32% celsius"

Thats y chocolate melts in ur mouth.

WOW I didnt know chocolate contained a cannabinoid!, explains its synergy with cannabis though, from wikipedia: "Anandamide, also known as arachidonoylethanolamide or AEA, is an endogenous cannabinoid neurotransmitter found in animal and human organs, especially in the brain"

Interesting piece I found on Aandamide like compound: "In addition to finding anandamide, Piomelli also discovered two anandamidelike compounds, N-oleoythanolamine and N-linoleoylethanolamine, in chocolate, which delay the breakdown of anandamide in the brain. He speculates that the anandamidelike compounds prolong the pleasurable sensations associated with the body's own natural production of anandamide rather than the anandamide found in chocolate. The anandamidelike compounds do not bind to cannabinoid receptors, so the pleasurable effect of chocolate is entirely dependent on how much anandamide in naturally produced in the brain at the time chocolate is consumed. If anandamide is not present in the brain the anandamidelike compounds may not have any effect at all. And, if anandamide were present, the effect of the anandamidelike compounds would be limited to the areas of the brain where anandamide was naturally produced. This explains why chocolate does not produce a marijuana-like global "high", but might explain a physiological chocolate craving when anandamide is present in the brain."

From Here: http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/neur.../Slaughter.html

Also contains Theobormine & caffiene which are credited with the stimulant effect.

Im a bit confused most evidence I've found doesnt support the claim of serotonin or dopamine being found in chocolate but these chemicals are triggered by the compounds found in chocolate. If anyone can clarify it would b great.

"Does anyone eat cocoa with oatmeal? I've heard that it's good." Read the first post.

Edited by shruman

Im a bit confused most evidence I've found doesnt support the claim of serotonin or dopamine being found in chocolate but these chemicals are triggered by the compounds found in chocolate. If anyone can clarify it would b great.

I can clarify in the sense that astrologyzine.com is hardly a quotable ref :P (no offense insearchwhy)

aight tepas recipe is pretty cool but infuture am going to make up a batch of milk then chuck a whole lot of icecream into it to make a thickshake out of it.

did something similar to your recipe husk and its sitting in the fridge now.

tastes good warm, going to see what its like cold, hopefully will solidify a bit (got it in patty cake paper things)

as for cocoa i feel great with a fair bit of it in my diet. i also gotta recommend goji berries.after eating a truckload of goji berries and cocoa i feel mighty fine.

apothcary your right bad link i shouldnt of done a quick copy and paste very wishywashy info after going back to my cacao research files.

shruman there is definately seems to be small amounts of Anandamide in cocoa and phenylethylamine plus your more than right that cacao triggers serotonin and dopamine sorry for the confusion.

the Tryptophan content is what would be attributed to the serotonin and the Phenylethylamine releases dopamine.

and so it goes but the point is its any amazing source of nutrition

shruman, the only referrence I saw in the first post was this:

"i ground some beans up in a blender then just cooked it up as you would oats to make a sloppy porridge, then added a little sugar."

That is not the same at all as eating with oatmeal. The oatmeal is supposed to go well with it. Some people want chocolate but others do not care for all that sugar. Oatmeal is supposed to be good with it but it sounds like no one here has tried it. I'll have to be the guinea pig.

shruman, the only referrence I saw in the first post was this:

"i ground some beans up in a blender then just cooked it up as you would oats to make a sloppy porridge, then added a little sugar."

That is not the same at all as eating with oatmeal. The oatmeal is supposed to go well with it. Some people want chocolate but others do not care for all that sugar. Oatmeal is supposed to be good with it but it sounds like no one here has tried it. I'll have to be the guinea pig.

yeah, i didn't make it with oats. i just made porridge out of the ground beans the same way you would with oats.

wasn't too bad but i definitely reckon there are much better ways to consume these wonderful beans.

i'll be interested to know how the oatmeal mixture goes stonehenge.

as for the chemical composition of cocao, i don't know but i know it makes me feel very good. although it can make me a little nauseous if i eat a little too much. i've probably been eating a little too much in the last couple of days. i'm not sure what the action is, probably something to do with over stimulation from caffeine or something, but last night i felt like i had really high blood pressure or something. with all the blood rushing to my head. nothing serious or anything just definitely noticable & i'd definitely put it down to the cocao.

doesn't put me off in the slightest though. just need to be a little more disciplined with it.

Good to see you around Stoney, look forward to hearing your results! :)

"That is not the same at all as eating with oatmeal. The oatmeal is supposed to go well with it. Some people want chocolate but others do not care for all that sugar. Oatmeal is supposed to be good with it but it sounds like no one here has tried it. I'll have to be the guinea pig."

My mistake, after reading it I got the impresion he used oats :scratchhead: , oh well. It does sound interesting though :) & I totaly agree bout the sugar!, I want to tatse the cocoa not all the other crap they cram in there, I dont know how people eat milk choc or y they even call it choc?, probly cause it sounds better than sweet milk solids.

I think it would b interesting to explore the synergies between poppy seeds (oleamide) & chocolate (Andamide) with both containing cannabinoids & chocolate containing Andamide like compounds as well or to even push the synergy & through some cannabis in the mix, so to speak (where legal of course).

I tried some oatmeal with cocoa and it wasn't bad. I may try it again. It tasted like chocolatey oatmeal. I wasn't thrilled with it but it was not bad. I think I may have over cooked the oatmeal. Next time I'll cook it a shorter time. I use to eat oatmeal all the time as a kid and loved it. That was before I gave up sugar.

I tried it again last night and it was even better. I cooked it a shorter time than they recommended and liked it more that way. It seemed too gooey when cooked the full amount. I did it in a microwave. It's not bad at all with cocoa and you can use up a teaspoon cocoa with each serving of oatmeal. I used no sugar and it tasted fine. The stuff is really filling so don't prepare more than one serving for yourself. It's full of fiber and good things so you are doing yourself a favor with the oatmeal as well as the cocoa which is also chocked full of goodies. Bon appetite!