The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Amazingly cheap computer hardware & peripherals

A workmate put me onto these guys:

http://www.msy.com.au/

they have stores in VIC, NSW, QLD & S.A.

Amazingly low prices. As an example the recommended retail price for a Cannon PIXMA ip5300 printer is $250, MSY's price is $180.

Edited by nabraxas

Fluidtek (disclaimer: I know the owner personally) chops MSY every single time, but their website and online ordering is pretty shocking unfortunately.

www.fluidtek.com.au

EDIT: Just checked, looks like their price for a pixma 5200 is $190, but like I said, their website is pretty poorly maintained :P

Edited by apothecary

while we are on the subject... could anyone let me know any online parts suppliers, with a good range, and reasonably cheap... with a fast order processing time. The one I am currently dealing with are very slow.

Edited by XipeTotec

while we are on the subject... could anyone let me know any online parts suppliers, with a good range, and reasonably cheap... with a fast order processing time. The one I am currently dealing with are very slow.

Yeah unfortunately I've found that it's hard to find a combination of all of those things. Most smaller places (even larger places) can't afford to keep a big inventory, so they get the stuff in in a day or two. Also it seems that if you pay rock-bottom prices the service kind of sucks and returning something is often a form of torture... but yeah, staticice is a good way to shop around, and it pays to get in touch with the place before placing an order just to get a feel for what their attitude towards customer service is like.

At one place that's the cheapest over here, I ring him up and he says in a flawless monotone "yep" then I ask if he's got something in stock: "nuh..." (silence). I say sorry, what was that? And he repeats in exactly the same monotone "nuh..." (silence). So I keep asking him questions about the item until he sounds pissed and then I get his best price and go to a store with good service and get them to match it or at least come close.

*edit* hehe, we are all a bunch of computer nerds.

Edited by IllegalBrain

I have dealt with www.eyo.com.au and www.gamedude.com.au both had good prices and fast service, but its been a while since I have purchased from either. Gamedude seemed to be cheaper but less range.

Edited by ReclusE

I have dealt with www.eyo.com.au and www.gamedude.com.au both had good prices and fast service, but its been a while since I have purchased from either. Gamedude seemed to be cheaper but less range.

game dude seem to have a decent range... and good prices... i hope their processing and delivery time is good!!! :)

Edited by XipeTotec

MSY is alright if you don't mind standing in the queue for 20 mins minimum just to find out they don't have what you want in stock. Never personally used Fluidtek, but I have heard plenty about them, good and bad. So far my experiences with itestate.com.au have been very good (that is buying through the website) but like most of these places doing practically wholesale business with the public, don't expect very much customer service, that's where the price cuts come from most of the time.

I used Computer Online for my last upgrade. Very cheap and sometimes throws in "extras". Located somewhere in or near Burwood - Sydney.

Your best bet is (as gamma.goblin said) to use staticice to find the best price for a specific item. Don't be locked into using only 1 or 2 stores, find the cheapest and go with it.

Edited by mumbles

Your best bet is (as gamma.goblin said) to use staticice to find the best price for a specific item. Don't be locked into using only 1 or 2 stores, find the cheapest and go with it.

the reason It is ideal to order from one store, is because of postage if buying parts for a complete system.

Definatley, though some of the bigger ticket items like powerful video cards can have a massive price difference from store to store.