The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
PurpleHaze

HBWR Stem Diameter.

What diameter does the stem of HBWR reach when fully grown?

Thanks.

Convolvulaceous plants (plants in the HBWR/morning glory/bindweed family) put out shoots from low down at the base of the stem regularly and tend to climb up their own stem by winding around and around and up. In woodroses this results eventually in a really chunky woody 'stem' made up of all the stems that have climbed up each other from the base of the plant over the years. The big vine i used to know and love was about 5 years old and its 'stem' was about as thick as my thigh (about 15cm or so).

I guess the eventual thickness of a really old vine is only limited by how thick an object the young basal shoots can wrap themselves around without falling down and finding some other direction of growth. They find it easier to wrap around thinner objects like twigs and branches rather than big huge tree trunks and that sort of thing, mostly because they lack the useful tendrils that passionflowers/passionfruit vines have for grabbing onto tiny little 'handles'.

Hope i've given you some idea. Oh, and the thickest true single stem i've seen was about 2 or 3 cm thick i think from memory.

Thanks Fractal.

I had to know so I could figure out what I am going to let them grow on now that they are shooting up.