The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lupus

Joshua trees..

On a recent trip to the desert I collected some Joshua tree seeds, but I have been unable to find any good information on growing them. Any info would be helpful.

--Lupus.

P.S. I also collected seeds for a cactus called a "Screaming Pig Cactus"?? or "Jumping Cholla(?)/Choya(?)"?. I can't seem to find the real name, any ideas?

Try Marina at: http://www.theamateursdigest.com/sfsq&a.htm

She handels a lot of these types of questions concerning cacti, succulents and other obscure desert plants.

hope it helps.

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 09 November 2000).]

Guest reville

...Have you ever trodden on a cholla?

...I have

...I know why its called screaming pig

Guest wira

Lupus - a 'cholla' is a term used for most [if not all?] of the Opuntia species which form club-like branches rather than flat pads [those ones are the prickly pears]. Screaming pig cactus! I've never heard that before, but I like it wink.gif

Guest reville

I have abook at home on useful cacti and agaves - ill look up the species name but a lot share the same common names.

BTW it was me that screamed.Hint dont plant chollas near pathways and wear shoes at night

when walking in unfamiliar surroundings.

Of the opuntias does anyone here have any

I have 3 cultivars of spineless ones (prickly pear) as well as O basiliaris, O fulgida and i think either o Stricta or O Cylindropuntia?

Theres more out there and im looking.Particularly the larger ones

Thank you all for your posts smile.gif

I am absolutely shocked. Last sunday I put 5 Joshua tree seeds in water, and by tuesday afternoon I had 100% germination! biggrin.gif

So on wednesday I put 6 seeds in water and all but two have sprouted! biggrin.gif

BTW, the seeds I started on sunday already have roots around 3 cm.

Everything I have read on growing Joshua Trees from seed says it will take at least 1 month to germinate (one site even said 12 months). This is extremely viable seed!

[This message has been edited by Lupus (edited 11 November 2000).]

Guest reville

Have you ever noticed that with some seeds in general especially the dryland species-

if they come straight off the tree they dont go into dormancy.But leave them for a while and they do. Maybe its a common mechanism

Guest wira

reville - I'm growing a couple of spineless [or mostly, there's a few tiny ones here and there if Ilook closely wink.gif] prickly pears [i.d. unknown], as well as what I believe to be Opuntia cylindrica [Austrocylindropuntia cylindrica], and another little cholla of sorts which only has small, weak spines and is about 6cm or so tall... I'll see what it turns into smile.gif

Could anyone give me some pointers on germinating my cholla seeds?