The Corroboree
Vertmorpheus

Citalopram + Mushrooms

gday guys, sick of those subs yet? :P lucky things, stumped to find a green gills around here lately :lol:

Just a quickie, a friend (actually a friend, not me in the slightest) was wondering if you guys had any experience/info on combining SSRI's and mushrooms? A bit ofa hunt around showed that if anything it would just diminish the psilo's, whereas MAO and tricyclics can get a bit nasty in terms of potentiation etc...she's just after any info anyone may have, advice, whatever. Been taking them long enough to have stabilised on them, give or take the odd bout of daytime fatigue that has probably got more to do with having a toddler.

cheers in advance, may your picks be fat and free of grubs,

VM

just occurred to me that this might be more of a lab question, woops. No worries if it gets moved.Sorry for that, fridayitis.

Edited by Vertmorpheus

Yep your impression is pretty much spot on.

I know of someone who has been on standard SSRIs (effexor) for 2-3 years now and trips when they have time. Usually effects will not kick in for them LSD/psilo/whatever until some ganja or similar is smoked to 'kickstart' the brain I guess. Trip seems to proceed as 'expected' after that.

Mushrooms are ok on the TCAs I think, I would dose cautiously though.

Edited by apothecary

"I know of someone who has been on standard SSRIs (effexor)"

Effexor aint ur standard ssri it is an snri (selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor).

know someone who takes 50mg of luvox & doesnt seem to effect them although they havent tried psilies off meds.

Hmmm my mistake, I must have been holding this misconception for a very long time now that effexor is an SSRI.

Effexor aint ur standard ssri it is an snri (selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor).

serotonin - noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor that also inhibits dopamine reuptake

a doctor once prescribed me this but i never took it after reading up on it, didnt want to fuck with the adrenergic stuff cos i was already a bit manic. read a lot of reports of people having seizures after tokin up some reefer.. :unsure:

i used to take citalopram and it seemed to slightly dampen the experience, but not enough to make it not worthwhile as with the md..

"a doctor once prescribed me this but i never took it after reading up on it, didnt want to fuck with the adrenergic stuff cos i was already a bit manic."

U could b Bi-polar, my sister was prescribed Effexor & a bunch of other AD's till she was pychiactriacly assessed & found out she was bi-polar, she is also a chronic chronic smoker & didnt have any side effects except her hair falling out (real nice, thanks wyeth).

I would advise starting small & increasing if no side effects are found.

cheers guys, all fairly helpful... wasn't real worried as other "research" didn't show up too many scary possibilities, and given the commonality of those kind of pills being taken I figure anything too nasty woulda come up by now... as always, start v v low n work up... not sure bout the kickstart with canna, as she tends to get quite fatigued and dissociated on that combo anyway.... thinking it might not be too psilo related but rather tryptophan related (the info sheet for the cita I checked out mentioned trypto specifically).

AD's are a funny thing (yeah, I can hear you all laughing now, sorry :P ) , looking thru the adverse reaction section of the doc's that come with the meds told me that "this medication may cause..... common.... loss of ability to orgasm in women, depression, amotivation, anxiety...." they certainly have taken some edges of my mates personalty off, blunted some of the spikes... but the occasional zombielike air has me concerned.

Guess maybe start at barely a gram in an ultra positive environment n see what happens...all up to her of course, I'm hardly the village shaman.

cheers again, yez are the most helpful people I know

VM

not sure bout the kickstart with canna, as she tends to get quite fatigued and dissociated on that combo anyway.... thinking it might not be too psilo related but rather tryptophan related (the info sheet for the cita I checked out mentioned trypto specifically).

Can you elaborate on your tryptophan reference and what exactly you meant sorry? Just curious to see if the infosheet is recommending tryptophan for people wanting to trip :P

AD's are a funny thing (yeah, I can hear you all laughing now, sorry :P ) , looking thru the adverse reaction section of the doc's that come with the meds told me that "this medication may cause..... common.... loss of ability to orgasm in women, depression, amotivation, anxiety...." they certainly have taken some edges of my mates personalty off, blunted some of the spikes... but the occasional zombielike air has me concerned.

This is a serious issue to me, the long term effects of SSRIs on the people to whom they are prescribed, and I think you should be concerned that long term use doesn't further increase the zombie like effects as this has been known to happen!

The loss of orgasm thing is definitely not limited by being female.

Guess maybe start at barely a gram in an ultra positive environment n see what happens...all up to her of course, I'm hardly the village shaman.

cheers again, yez are the most helpful people I know

VM

Depends on the mushroom, but I guess you are referring to cubes or similar, underdosing can be just as much of an issue as overdosing, because it can leave you 'stranded halfway' so to speak, which is often not a pleasant mindset. For cubensis I'd say rather 2-2.5g depending on bodyweight (it isn't a bad idea to figure out the persons mg/kg preferred dose and to keep that in mind) where 3g is usually the dose at which things can get 'serious' and taking into account the dampening effects of SSRIs and assuming that no other drugs will be consumed in combination.

This is a serious issue to me, the long term effects of SSRIs on the people to whom they are prescribed, and I think you should be concerned that long term use doesn't further increase the zombie like effects as this has been known to happen!

The loss of orgasm thing is definitely not limited by being female.

I remember being an SSRI zombie, and finding it hard to have sex... I'd rather be depressed and get laid thanks.

Just says that don't take tryptophan while you're on em, more or less.. without doctors advice bla bla... not sure how you'd go about avoiding it entirely though :P

I found a ref about it being used for prem. ejaculation (didnt have time to write the whole word) in men, so I guess it's just a partypooper for all concerned sometimes. Or maybe not. Bit of a worry either way, remembering names of maths teachers in the reverse order that I had them at school seems to work for me anyway.

Not sure about anyone that isn't real big on the psychonautic lifestyle having 3.5 g straight up, I've had many a fine time off a gram of a few types and never had any dramas about getting stuck anywhere, though I know what you're getting at... still, that much for me in one sitting would fuck me in the head fairly thoroughly for more than a couple of days, as its not something we do a whole lot around here (earthly worries getting in the way of otherearthly delights, cryin shame).At a gram or so, the old leg trembles and gutfear comes into it more for the outcome you recieve, but with a brisk walk somewhere nice and leafy and then a very focussed Sitting Session,it shifts it up a gear no worries,and its not a bad way to brighten an afternoon without writing off the evening and next day as well. We're not real big on tripping balls in my little circle, more about the inner than the outer experience of it (ie pretty colours are not a prerequisite to a good night in, remembering the basic beauty of things seems enough somehow...that one ray of the sun hitting that one speck of dust...). Ifthat makes any sense. Was thinkin more starting at the barely perceptable and see if there are any negative impressions (dealing with a fairly well tuned mind here, too self aware if anything), then try double that, etc, rather than load up for the next 8 hours and end up having Really Bad Time. The 3.5 certainly seems like a good goal over time, but yeah not sure about that much straight up... citalopram is apparently just about right at the bottom of the list of ssri's in terms of "potency", so I wouldn't want to suggest overstepping a boundary that might not even really come into play to start with.

Zombie'd off anything isn't a good thing, but might just be better than the opposite, yes we can talk creative energy and whatnot til the cows start eating the mushrooms too but it would seem its not real nice having to deal with being a person that isnt real nice. Once again, if that makes any sense at all :P no disrespect to anyone. Some very fine and healthy minds have been labelled mentally ill over time, however tha tdoesn't mean everyone having a wobbley time of things is actually the next da vinci if only the pharmacon would leave them to it.It might mean that they spend all day in bed crying themselves dry or being really horrible to their loved ones. But yeah, there has to be a point between drooling and fooling, best of luck to anyone out there trying to find it, sounds like a whole lot of work in a day n age when surely it shouldnt be, anymore.

Lot of whacky info at those cluster headache forums anyway, mental images of middle aged housewives keeping a close watch on the compost and then bundling hubby off to golf with mates for the day... whatever helps eh, and free is always a definite plus.

cheers again for the info, much appreciated by all I'm sure

VM

For cubensis I'd say rather 2-2.5g depending on bodyweight (it isn't a bad idea to figure out the persons mg/kg preferred dose and to keep that in mind) where 3g is usually the dose at which things can get 'serious' and taking into account the dampening effects of SSRIs and assuming that no other drugs will be consumed in combination.

I'd say thats a bti extreme, depending of course on the potency of the cubensis - 1g would be a lot safer.

Perhaps Im a lightweight, but 1.5 -2g of qulaity cubensis is enough for me to believe the apocalypse is here.

Was thinkin more starting at the barely perceptable and see if there are any negative impressions (dealing with a fairly well tuned mind here, too self aware if anything), then try double that, etc, rather than load up for the next 8 hours and end up having Really Bad Time.

I recommend.

I didn't mean to suggest that SSRI's weren't good in some situations, just not for me. Wife prescribes them every now and again to good effect in many people, and I've seen them work for family and friends. I tried explaining to a psych just last week that I simply didn't want to take them, he had me pegged as the 'takes psychedelics and so thinks pharms are unnatural' type but I tried to tell him I didn't have a problem with other people taking them and didn't think they were 'bad,' just that I didn't think I needed them. Apparently, it wasn't a good enough reason for him because he did this thing where he got me to tick all these boxes which made me fail a test and showed me how sick I was then said "they will take away all THIS" and shoved it in my face. I very nicely told him where he could shove it and left wondering why I bother with these drug dealing bastards.

...I very nicely told him where he could shove it and left wondering why I bother with these drug dealing bastards.

Because they have the power to get you regulated... unless your partner is a doctor of course... :P

excuse me for being naive, but what are the 'dampening' effects of SSRI's? Also what meaning of the term 'dampening' are you refering to?

does L-tryptophan have any of these dampening effects when a user consumes shrooms? should a L-tryptophan user not medicate when planing to become psily?

dampening - any effect, either deliberately engendered or inherent to a system, that tends to reduce oscillations.

in general people on ssri's have a feeling that while it may help with the low points of depression, they also tend to flatten out the high points when youre happy. so you get a flattening of the normal range of emotions.

i dont think trp would have this effect cause it doesnt inhibit anything, just provides more precursor

I got what ya mean brain, I tend to think similar things from the POV of say AD's, ADD drugs, all that... they claim that the dosage is an individual thiing and carefully titrated and bla bla bla... so why does it work out everyone ends up taking whole pills n whole numbers? Why not 6.5mg of this a day for person x, and 7.4 a day for person Y. Basically guarantees the way it is now that a decent whack of users are being either over or underdosed, and only a few in the middle are workin out who it was intended.

Apoth n Knot you both make a good "case" (yaknowwhatimean) ... I personally find that once I am turned on, more doesnt tend to increase pleasure as much as increase cost later on... some people are more social in use of such things whereas others are more exploratory, some aim for a nice blend. Like asking aroomful of tradies how much it takes to get you pissed haha.

Only issue I can think of with the low startpoint is that attempts will ahve to be very widely spaced to make sure there isnt just a progressive tolerance issue going on...the quiet approachto erasing your brain perhaps. Dunno, talk to her this weekend n see what she reckons, has some other ppls with feelers out so if there is anything useful I'll post here, not a lot of info around for what strikes me as a fairly common situation these days. maybe people just dont care.

I suspect (in my capacity as minister for ontheflybullshit at the hillbilly consulate) that trypto above "natural" levels might amp up the AP's more, the cross the board flattening that was mentioned. I think that flattening happens in two ways, one that the natural range might be diminished to start with, but then even if only the lower spectrums were knocked out, the higher end is relatively speaking not as far above "cruising altitude" if that makes any sense. Relative thing. I don't know personally, probably shouldve had a spot of help now n then over time but I usually seem to bumble my way through.

hope everyones feeling ok today, cheers for the input,

VM