The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

What's this?

Question

This tree lost its tag in our collection at some point. It is definitely a woody tree or at least a shrub, but has been stunted as we won't plant it out until we know what it is. No idea if it is native or exotic, but more likely the latter. It goes dormant in winter, but does not appear to be a sensitive tropical.

Sorry, forgot to get a good pic of the leaves, but from memory there are multiple leaflets. Have definitely seen 3 leaflets, but may even be more.

Flowers late autumn and has not produced any seed. The flower spikes in the pics are actually mostly spent flowers - the many little upward pointing pods are the flower stalks which persist for quite a while as if they are develping into seed pods. But they fall off eventually without swelling.

The tree is only about 1m tall [due to pot constriction I presume], so the flower is quite large for the tree it is on. For size reference, the flower stalk is about 2cm, the flower about 7mm and the whole spike about 30cm.

The flower spike looks quite distinct and I am sure it will provide a hint to at least family level. I might even remember the species then.

post-6-1182512918_thumb.jpg

post-6-1182512944_thumb.jpg

IMG_4691_resize.JPG

IMG_4694_resize.JPG

IMG_4691_resize.JPG

IMG_4694_resize.JPG

20 answers to this question

Nice photo's & an interesting plant. Might you hypothesise on this to be a 'prarie' dweller by habitat ?

Not sure about that. It is extremely happy in full shade and under daily misting. Not the usual ideal conditions for savannah plants. Its dormancy seems to be cold induced like many european and north american species, rather than arid induced like most savannah plants.

Odd Liatris of the Aster

No, this is definitely a tree. And while Liatris looks superficially similar it actually bears no structural resemblence. sorry. The annoying thing is that I usually have at least some starting point from where to research, but with this one I have nothing. The flowers don't remind me of anything.

Hi Torsten,

i´ve never seen these flowers but the leaves look like something that i know. I dont think its a European plant! Somehow the leaves look like rainforrest but thats just a gut feeling. It has similarities to an ugly Bird :huh: But somehow it looks interesting! bye Eg

Potential for it to be, Fabaceae (Papilionaceae)?

The pods from what i can see do look like potential legumes and the flowers look like there's a keel being enveloped by wings and the standard which are ready to bust out later in the day.

Potential for it to be, Fabaceae (Papilionaceae)?

The pods from what i can see do look like potential legumes and the flowers look like there's a keel being enveloped by wings and the standard which are ready to bust out later in the day.

That keel that is just about to bust out is about as far as it will go. The flower dies soon after that. The keel is made up of a lighter petal, but I can't make out if it is indeed a Fabacaea type keel. I only had 3 flowers to work with and trashed them to find out this much. Will wait a few days and get more flowers then.

If it is Fabaceae then I am just as lost. A huge family and not a clue what it might be.

The leaves are definitely compound leaves, with up to 5 leaflets on this plant so far.

This tree lost its tag in our collection at some point. It is definitely a woody tree or at least a shrub, but has been stunted as we won't plant it out until we know what it is. No idea if it is native or exotic, but more likely the latter. It goes dormant in winter, but does not appear to be a sensitive tropical.

Sorry, forgot to get a good pic of the leaves, but from memory there are multiple leaflets. Have definitely seen 3 leaflets, but may even be more.

Flowers late autumn and has not produced any seed. The flower spikes in the pics are actually mostly spent flowers - the many little upward pointing pods are the flower stalks which persist for quite a while as if they are develping into seed pods. But they fall off eventually without swelling.

The tree is only about 1m tall [due to pot constriction I presume], so the flower is quite large for the tree it is on. For size reference, the flower stalk is about 2cm, the flower about 7mm and the whole spike about 30cm.

The flower spike looks quite distinct and I am sure it will provide a hint to at least family level. I might even remember the species then.

post-6-1182512918_thumb.jpg

post-6-1182512944_thumb.jpg

dont tell me i lost the label... :wink:

na, before your time.

remember, I showed you this once to see if you had any ideas? It's in the seedling house in a 12" pot.

hmmm. maybe you don't know, but we also grow many EXTREMELY poisonous plants.

Yowie, now i know why you´ve been so close to extinction recently :lol: bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

ahhh yes, from memory the stems are very sticky?? the inflorescence is also very sticky??

can u get a pic of the whole plant?

i know its a long shot, but the inflorescence kind of looks like what an old client of mine called a 'smoke bush' no idea on latin names sorry mate.

the stem FEELS sticky, but not because it is sticky. Rather it has these hairs that cling.

The only smoke bush I know is Cotinus and this ain't it.

Conospermum sp.

Proteaceae

The 'other' Smoke bush maybe? :scratchhead:

I find it bloody iritating when I lose labels of plants then can't remember.

I do it all the time.:rolleyes:

Guest Øskorei
Conospermum sp.

Proteaceae

Is that a definitive answer or a speculation ? Ø's thoughts on Conospermum are of small flowering 'bits' (botanical term) making the shape, whereas T's pics indicate more a feathered aspect.

C'mon, guys & girls, there's a whole bunch of collective minds on this forum, surely someone can crack this.

time 4 new pics?

whats happening with the flowers?

piscidia?

lonchocarpus?

t s t .

not conospermum or piscidia.

lonchocarpus looks tempting, and I did have some seed, but they have these really obvious pea flowers and my plant really doesn't.

no point for new pics. it looks exactly the same right now.

a friend recently had a look at this and we now agree that this is in the Fabaceae. His immediate suggestion was Derris, but I an't find a Derris sp of that colour. still no pods or seeds.

ignore this post i thought it was Ptilotus nobilis (outback princess) but im miles off :blush:

Edited by mac

Irie Torsten,

This one is bothering me.... :wub:

Have you got anymore info & Photos.

I'd like to see the leaf....any seeds??

Respect

Z

will get more pics in spring. it looks a bit crappy at the moment.

it hasn't set any seeds at all and no pods either.