The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spunwhirllin

Acacia phlebophylla

Here she is,my 6 year old phleb.

I finally broke down yesterday and tried my hand at some air layering,fingers crossed.

Still no sign of flowers though. :BANGHEAD2:

post-230-1182475192_thumb.jpg

You're a very lucky human being spunwhirllin. Much respect to you.

Wow! That's so awesome. I wish you the greatest of luck with it.

Nice plant & pic Spun, would u mind elaborating on growing conditions & environment?, also any hints or tips to get her to that stage?

Very nicely done, double how long most people are successful hope ur success continues.

Anyone know a source for seeds?, would b very interested pretty sure I've got the right climate for it (snowed the other day).

Thanks,

I am very fortunate and feel blessed for the oppurtunity.

As far as growing environment,I live in a valley surrounded by temperate rainforest.

Summers tend to get up into the high 90's F,with winters typically dropping into the twenties for four to six weeks,with alot of rain during the warmer parts of winter.I do keep the acacia in an un-heated greenhouse for winter,but release into the cruel world when the temps get into the 40's.

It will survive harsh winter cold,but when coupled with copious amounts of rain I fear that its roots would freeze.

I re-pot about every other summer using primarily granite gravel with lesser amounts of soil and compost.

Yes,a source for seeds would be really nice,I patiently await the fruits of my efforts from this Acacia,not like I have a choice.

However,its more likely that seeds of this plant will be available sooner from plants cultivated in Oz.

i imagine that acacias would respond quite well to layering, u see them in the wild all the time that have been pushed over/felled and have reshot and sent up growth.

please keep us posted with ur efforts with the phleb, very exciting!

some acacias do well with layering, but with phlebs I have seen branches buried for years and no roots formed. I did see a root sucker once though.

A few people are growing nice plants now and it seems the only real requirement is a deep pot. Whether subtropical conditions or alpine or arid, they all seem to do more or less fine as long as they are in large pots or in the ground [although with ground you need to be careful with the soil type].

I am surprised your plant enjoys repottign though. Acacias normally hate it and I had the feelign that most plants we dying as a result of it. Maybe that is only the case if the pot is too small. What time of year do you repot?

I've seen these plant grow in soilless cracks in the granite with just a bit of leaf mulch and water trickling through. The pots I use now are the depth of the smallest crack I have seen a happy plant grow out of, which is about 50cm deep. I am doing some experiments to see if depth of pot can be offset by width and vice versa.

I decided to give the layering a go rather than striking a cutting,it seemed more likely to survive,than completely severing the branch.

Good to here the numbers of healthy plants are finally starting to grow.

Hopefully the chances of access to seeds and plants will increase.

I wouldn't say the plant enjoys re-potting,more like it tolerates it.

I have lost one plant to repotting,and the last time I re-potted, it dropped its leaves.

I re-pot in the spring,to ensure that its vigorously growing.This way,if it does drop its leaves it will quickly recover.

The current pot is 50 cm in diameter and 30cm deep.

I've been considering re-potting this season,but I'll wait till next spring.

If I dont get into the ground next spring I will go to a larger pot.

Looking at a 50 cm dia X 125 or cm deep.

I am concerned about rot issues with such a large pot though,probably need to put breathing holes in the sides of the pot as well as the bottom.

I've seen these plant grow in soilless cracks in the granite with just a bit of leaf mulch and water trickling through. The pots I use now are the depth of the smallest crack I have seen a happy plant grow out of, which is about 50cm deep

These tiny cracks that the plants sometimes seem to thrive in could in fact be many many metres deep whilst being very thin, sometimes millimeters. The top layer of mulch in these areas is mainly crushed granite and leaf litter, a few inches underneath this is very rich looking dark soil, This is what the plants thrive in, of course, surrounded by large granite boulders above and under ground.

The roots are VERY adventurous and what seems like a tiny crack to us would in fact be a massive reserve of rich soil for the plant, just not in a pot form like we would expect it to like but more spread out thinly like a piece of paper between two rocks. Try a few chunks of granite in the pot aswell as a crushed granite mulch.

Most cracks can't be measured, but I saw a few where you could definitely see the sealed bottom. These were usually where a seam had been washed out and you could actually peek in from top and front.

Congratulations spun, she's beautiful!

Fantastic work!

Here is my 4 (?) year old Phleb. From some kindly donated old, left-over, ethnobotany research stock (a little research centre out in Mullumbimby)

gallery_3_1_174530.jpg

She's healthy and made it through the last crazy hot-dry summers without much supplemental waterings.

Looks like this wet winter growing spurt will finally make her into a little bush

gallery_3_1_249311.jpg

Hope she flowers...

nice one ed. nice looking plant. looks like shes past the most sensitive stage & ready to power on

Wow thats a beauty ED!

I hope she flowers for you to, she certainly looks happy and healthy enough.

awesome dood, your plant is looking really healthy! well done.

looks like its in the ground instead of a pot like most people are doing yeh?

awesome dood, your plant is looking really healthy! well done.

looks like its in the ground instead of a pot like most people are doing yeh?

Yep, she's been in the ground finding her own water and food. Makes a difference for sure.

She's in a very sunny spot, hot in the summer, cold and windy in the winter and gets a good amount of rain. I mixed in some granite and dolomite on planting but her roots would be deep into the friable clay soil by now. No galls (yet) or sign of much pest attack, just some nibbles from some insects on some leaves.

But this is the happiest I have seen her, she should do well this year!

That's impressive ED, she's a centerfold for sure :P

These days it's only A. pycnantha i see getting phyllodes that broad, very nice mate.

Wow,those are some wide phyllodes!

She is a nice plant. What are your winters like ED?

We have serious rains for 5 months out of the year with alot of nights of freezing temps. I'd love to not have to cover my phleb,but I fear rot due to the high percipitation .

Here's my phleb,finally in the ground after 7.5 years.She has really taken off since she's been in the ground.

I loosened up the native soil for a few feet deep and added pumice and granite.

Patiently awaiting flowers.

post-230-1253015607_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow,those are some wide phyllodes!

She is a nice plant. What are your winters like ED?

We have serious rains for 5 months out of the year with alot of nights of freezing temps. I'd love to not have to cover my phleb,but I fear rot due to the high percipitation .

Here's my phleb,finally in the ground after 7.5 years.She has really taken off since she's been in the ground.

I loosened up the native soil for a few feet deep and added pumice and granite.

Patiently awaiting flowers.

Well, they live on top of Mt Buffalo naturally. So they get loads of rain and snow in winter, and spring/autumn. But they grow amongst granite slaps/boulders/soil, so high drainage. It is also very exposed, loads of wind, sun and heat in summer and cool nights.

I tried to find a location in the garden like that. However, we get no snow and there is not granite (except for some added on planting). I think letting her get rain and loads of air circulation is good, so long the soil drains well. The summers get sunny, hot and dry (probably not too much like the top of Mt Buffalo were there would be many more cool breaks between the hot days with cooler nights) she copes with it quite well. The phylloids get leathery and thinner (veiny) and the stems woody. But she survives! I try not to water her at all! Only before extreme day of 40 and over I might. But even then I'd rather let her struggle and get strong.

Hope that helped.

E D