The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
El Barto

190 proof

where would one go about getting 190 proof alcohol in aus?

or does any1 know what negative effects youll get from using metho to get a mushroom extract

i noticed uvex pump spray safety glasses cleaner ingredients are isopropyl alcohol and nothing else listed quite easy to get hold of from safety gear shops dunno if this helps or is even useful for such a thing if useful for anything except cleaning glasses lol

Q1: I'm not certain about the conversion, but I think 190 proof is about 95% alcohol, which is lab alcohol, so try searching for that. The 99% alcohol is not for human consumption due to the process used to purify to that degree.

Q2. I don't often say this, but dude, use the (f) search engine - it is a magical goodies creator & question-answerer. Look, I type in "mushroom extract", and lo, a thread appears, from less than a month ago, entitled "Mushroom Extract?" - see for yourself. In fact, you posted in that very thread. :rolleyes:

edit: Also, this question is not really appropriate for "Chill" - it should be in Mycology or Chemistry with all the others.

Edited by Anodyne

Q2. I don't often say this, but dude, use the (f) search engine - it is a magical goodies creator & question-answerer. Look, I type in "mushroom extract", and lo, a thread appears, from less than a month ago, entitled "Mushroom Extract?" - see for yourself. In fact, you posted in that very thread. :rolleyes:

edit: Also, this question is not really appropriate for "Chill" - it should be in Mycology or Chemistry with all the others.

i looked at that thread it was what got me interested in this

and following links from it was was what led me to know i needed 190 proof stuff

but i could only find 2 types neither avalible in aus

hense the the askin if any1 knew of any avalible in aus

but yea your proberly right might be a better thead for Chemistry, but i hadnt planed on posting the second post

and cheers yowie ill have a look at that safty glass cleaner and see if that helps me

Guest Øskorei
ill have a look at that safty glass cleaner and see if that helps me

I dunno, that purpose-sold stuff might cost a lot more $$ simply because they're dressing it up as a specific use product.

There are viable alternatives. Part of the fun is discovering information for yourself ! (plus I dont want to incriminate myself if you burn yourself to death in a freak accident :) ) All the best.

Re: Metho, while its ethanol, is is denatured, so whilst this makes it an undrinkable alcohol, it may or may not impact on the finished product that one may choose to extract from time to time. Maybe you could ask the mods to move this thread to Chem forum, and you might get some learned responses from those better in a position to elaborate on the constituants & effects of metho.

In most states in the US they sell Everclear in liquor stores. Grain alcohol (for drinking), 95% alcohol in 750ml bottles for about US$15. I have tried and tried to find a stote that will ship to Aus but no luck :(

In most states in the US they sell Everclear in liquor stores. Grain alcohol (for drinking), 95% alcohol in 750ml bottles for about US$15. I have tried and tried to find a stote that will ship to Aus but no luck :(

You'll find a couple of bottle shops that sell a 500mL bottle of 95% vodka - for atleast $55

I'm sure some forum members have access to certain solvents of interest B)

I don't know if Polish Pure Spirit would be strong enough for that, I know you can get carboys of lab spirit from most chem houses but whether you want to go thru that kind of rigmarole is the question... maybe ask really nicely at a local homebrew/spirit shop if he could put you onto some neutral uncut spirit... or just get a still, they pay for themselves fairly quickly if you are interested in DIY destruction of braincells :lol: Some first aid supply places stock just about pure iso, least they used to.A lot of medical eth products has chlorhexidine etc added, probably not what youre after but then maybe better for your guts than various nasty denaturants.

www.homedistiller.org has a bit to say about getting that last pesky bit of water out of your 95 percent product, dry ice and grain hulls, all kinds of stuff... but as soon as you leave it open, it sucks in just enough water to make itself happy again anyway.

I was wondering a while ago about the result of sticking dried mushrooms (species not to relevant I guess) into say 40 percent spirit... do they rehydrate using the water and leaving the spirit behind, or does it suck up both equally? I can mail an alcometer on loan to anyone with a spare kilo of shittakes to practice with haha.

VM

I was wondering a while ago about the result of sticking dried mushrooms (species not to relevant I guess) into say 40 percent spirit... do they rehydrate using the water and leaving the spirit behind, or does it suck up both equally?

Interesting question - I don't know, but if they did suck up more water, you'd think it'd just be replaced by water out of the air anyway.

Diggers brand metho is just ethanol plus bittering agents. No methanol.

then what is the drive to use ethanol as methylated spirits, I was under the impression they were similar in cost to produce? methanol/ethanol that is.

started digging and came across this interesting little snipet http://ezinearticles.com/?Methanol-and-Ethanol&id=396321

anyway back on track...production wise which is cheaper?

Can't be jsut about brand name surley...then in what 'products' do we find mainly methanol then?

mixture of ethyl alcohol (95%) and methyl alcohol (%5) as in common metho, I thought wood alcohol was methanol and metho was common name for wood alcohol.

*SLAP*

Sorry guys going off on a tangent.....AJ

Edited by Auntyjack

Methylated spirits used to be the name for ethanol that had been "de-natured" with a small % of methanol, to make it undrinkable (so as to avoid liquor tax on a cleaning product). Nowadays, methanol is rarely (if ever?) used as a denaturant, but using the name "methylated spirits"/"metho" to describe de-natured ethanol has stuck. And they may be similar in cost to produce, but they have different properties, a significant one being that methanol is much more toxic.

Methanol is sold mainly as racing-car fuel & as a lab solvent, I think.

Polmos Spirytus, 95% ethanol, from good liquor shops.'Polish Pure Spirit'.I read that all ethanol in Poland is produced by the government, these guys have just bottled it and exported.

If you try to get it from chemical supply though, be prepared to be fucked around."Its a precursor to methamphetamine production" :rolleyes: like anybody with a meth lab couldnt distill their own...you need special permission to purchase apparently - every time you buy it!

Speaking of distilling, while it is illegal to distill ethanol in Australia, it is perfectly legal to own a still of a volume no greater than 5 litres, for distilling whatever you like that isnt ethanol.