The Corroboree
Pala

Importing Kava to Oz

I saw on the pinned thread here that kava is a schedule 4, item 112B.

I don't understand what this means in relation to bringing Kava to Australia, when returning from Oceania (specifically Fiji). Because although I am under the impression that Kava can be bought in Australia, does this mean you need a licence to import it?

Any clarification would be appreciated,

Pala

It is S4 of the import regulations of the customs act [ie an illegal drug] IF it not covered by the TGA import regulations. The TGA import regulations set a maximum for personal import and also set up a licensing system for mail order imports. If you step outside these limits you are importing a drug.

eg. if you import 2.9 kilos of kava in your luggage then you are not breaking any laws. However, if you import 3.1 kilos of kava then you are importing 3.1 kilos of a prohibited drug.

That's great. I wasn't planning on bringing in kilos anyway.

Cheers!

maybe you should, its nice stuff haha... any thoughts on how the local bagsnatch boys would react to you turning up with 2.999 of a concentrate/extract of pure kava rather than just the usual bags of sawdust? Or just put 2.8 of goo thru .1 of sawdust so its still SOME kind of plant matter...Couldn't be that hard to rent a back shed in Fiji for a few days... probably just dreaming though :P

love is numb

GD

Guest Øskorei

May I ask why you would import it yourself if you're not planning on huge amounts ? It can be pretty cheap if you find a local shop that will sell it by the kilogram. For example in Sydney I get Fijian Waka for $45 a kilo.

Greendreams, how the blinkin' bleedin heck would you cook up a concentrated kava.... meethinks I might do some searching on this, as it would be nice to reduce the amount of muck-shake :lol:

concentrates are regulated under TGA rules and you can only bring in a 3 months supply of whatever daily dose it states on the label. Write your own labels I reckon.

I suspect that I used the word "import" incorrectly. What I mean is that I want to bring in Kava, following a holiday to Fiji, into Australia for personal use.

Just another Q:

Does the ~2-3kg allow for Kava extract? And when discussing bringing in Kava, is it permitted to bring in the root, or are people always talking about fresh root? (I would have assumed that fresh root would be a no-no and that furthermore, you'd need too much root for it to be worthwhile bringing it over - to be honest, I'm finding it hard to work out [via google] what the dose it ). Or are there other options?

Edit: by the time it took me to write this, T. answered my question re. the concentrate.

Edit2: Ok, found here http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...938&hl=kava that 25kg is a fair dose. But I can't determine whether the person is discussing the root, and extract, etc.

Edited by Pala

that 25kg is a fair dose.

I would say that's a fair overdose. 25g is more like it.

For import the root must be thoroughly dried and free of soil.

Haha. Yes, that was a typo. It meant to read "25g is a fair dose"!

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a couple of links where I can buy a decent amounts of Kava for a good price :)

Thanks

-Luke

Hey Guys,

Does anyone have a couple of links where I can buy a decent amounts of Kava for a good price :)

Thanks

-Luke

maybe look in the trade section... someone had some for sale last week.

How about this place? Its shipped within Australia and its Vanuatu Kava, not sure if this is better or worse than Fiji Kava but the price is good at $35 a kg plus postage.

According to the site 500g of the Klin Kava will make minimum 35 Vanuatu strength drinks and in excess of 70 Fiji strength drinks.

Anyone dealt with these ppl before? Tried the kava? I have 1kg on the way so I guess I'll find out what its like soon enough.

What??? Where'd the link go??

Weird I could swear I linked the site :scratchhead:

Must be goin NUTZ!

Anyway here it is: Klin Kava

To much work and not enough ethno's makes Harry a confused boy :)

I got some of that Klin Kava, Instant Kava from HHH a while ago and thought it wasnt too bad for $5 a dose and would certainly try it again.

If your getting some let me know.

By the way, is this Kavaman by any chance?

Edited by AndyAmine.

If it is then he changed his name by deed-poll for the banking details :lol: . I think (hope) we're safe this time...

Klin Kava has a dispensing agent inside of Australia that will drop ship your kava order to you from within the country after payment is received. We have three different kava products that we sell inside of Australia.

With the reference to Kavaman on the site, and an unnamed local distributor, I'd strongly urge anyone thinking of such a transaction to *make sure* that he is not part of the enterprise.

ed

Edited by reshroomED

So whats the deal with kavaman then? Scammer?

Ahhh, yess, I haddnt seen his name on the bottom of the page, thank you for pointing that out Ed.

It seemed a little to much like Kavaman's M.O not to be him, its a shame too because I thought the Instant Kava was actualy quite a good product. :(

I hope urs arrives harry, I wanna order me sum o that too. Be sure to let us know.

Still waiting on details to wire the money, not sure I will now :unsure:

Can some one fill me in on the deal with this guy, PM if you refer.

Placed order and paid, site shut down due to 'government no longer allowing advertisment of Australian kava products online', though this sounds suss. Was told product will ship out asap. There are no land-based stores in Australia, they're dealing out of a shipping container in Brissy. Hope it's not kavaman apart from the instant side, as he ripped me off dearly previously :( .

Please note, the following is about the scammer 'kavaman' who does not appear to be associated with the site being discussed.

Kavaman has a long history of ripping people off. Initially he screwed people over with kratom by handing out premium grade samples and then pushing for larger orders which were then lowest grade. I know this because his supplier told me that he hadn't actually bought any bulk loads of premium grade at that time. Some people got shafted big time [like MG] and others for just a few kilos. Several members lost quite a lot of money on his scam.

One customer who was an SAB member did a bulk deal for supply to the USA and lost a lot mof money. In fact he lost ALL of his start up capital for the new kratom business he was setting up. The way James did this was to demand 50% payment up front. Then after 2 or 3 months of excuses he demanded another 25% or he would not be able to supply. Then 6 weeks later our member finally got his stuff and it was of the lowest cheapest grade which he could have gotten for half that price from other suppliers overnight.

Kavaman [James] never apologised to anyone or explained anything. It wasn't till I complained to Danny & Duncan at www.psychoactiveherbs.com that anythign was done about this. Not by kavaman though. It was Duncan who ended up refunding the money. James is a personal and business friend of Duncan's and from what I gather Duncan also finances James's operations. Duncan sorting out the big problem kavaman had created was a nice gesture and I respect him for it greatly, but in effect it was also hush money so that the whole thing would just go away. Kavaman's antics in australia were bad for business.

What neither Duncan nor James/Kavaman ever sorted out were the dissatisfied customers in australia. It wasn't possible, because James had wasted so much time that even if he wanted to he would not have been able to replace the product as it become scheduled in the meantime. He never offered to refund any of that money or even bothered to give an apology. he just disappeared, which is why I have no problem dragging this up year after year. if he was a decent person then he would have made amends, refunded or at the very least apologised.

Kavaman has relatives in australia and has previously distributed product via his father. Sadly, his father was also part of the original kratom scam, so neither of them should be afforded any trust or any business privilege.

Some time after all these scams kavaman launched a kava website. I don't remember the name, but it was pink. There were a few people who ordered from their pink website and got scammed too. The product was sent from Vanuatu and got confiscated by customs. Their website stated that it is distributed from within australia.

Thats sad new indeed. Thanx for the background pplz.

I wonder if the individual (John Fordham) in Vanuatu knows the history of Kavaman. Might be interesting to give him a call and find out :).

http://aftermathnews.wordpress.com/2007/06...ger-happy-drug/

'The Ministry of Defence has admitted that it prescribes the amphetamine dexedrine, which is capable of keeping users awake'

-----------------------------------------------------

Very creepy.

Ouuuu!

-------------------------------------------------

"In addition, the MoD has admitted that it permits soldiers to take a drug called kava-kava, from the South Pacific, which is known to be linked to severe liver damage.

------------------

ouii!.

----------------------------

tuart Crawford, defence analyst and former colonel in the Royal Tank Regiment, said: “Given the number of Fijian soldiers in the army, you could say it’s not surprising.”

There are an estimated 2,600 Fijians in the British Army.